BuffaloRush

John Murphy - Underrated or Overrated as Announcer?

Is John Murphy Underrated Or Overrated?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Is John Murphy Underrated or Overrated?

• Underrated
    • Overrated

In terms of any announcer, do you feel that John Murphy is Overrated or underrated as a. NFL announcer?  I think think he is somewhat underrated.   I’ve heard some other NFL announcers and they are hell to listen to.  Check out the Patriots radio broadcast and you’ll see what I mean.  

We have a very good announcer here in Buffalo that very few people recognize.  Unfortunately many people hold Murphy’s on-air loyalty to the team against him.  But he gets paid a healthy 6 figure salary - would you badmouth or talk negative about your employer if he paid you that!?!?!  

Over the past 10 years alone or so, he’s had several memorable calls that made moments very special.   For that reason i feel he is underrated, but I want to hear your thoughts.  

I voted for ( slightly) underrated. Murphy followed a legend, which immediately diminishes him to many. His milquetoast talk show also works against him here. He’s actually pretty good ( not great) as a play by play guy, and has an appealing voice. I’d also concur that many announcers voices are just grating, making for a tough listen. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

I don't like him.

I don't have any quantifiable reasoning for it, and I can't point to anything in particular, but he just doesn't seem genuine to me.

Neither...he is simply mediocre.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

You follow Van Miller you won't ever be fully appreciated. That said, he's nothing special IMO. Average. 

No he can’t touch Van Miller, but Van was exceptional.  One of the best ever.  Murphy is above average though

• Like 1

He has never really had the opportunity to call anything special. He's announced for some of the worst teams in the history of the franchise. No "fandamonium" or anything else when you're getting pummeled and missing the playoffs year after yer.

• Like 2

Calls wrong names all the time, although that may be his spotter.  His takes are usually pretty useless.  Doesn’t have good rhythm.

6 minutes ago, vincec said:

He has never really had the opportunity to call anything special. He's announced for some of the worst teams in the history of the franchise. No "fandamonium" or anything else when you're getting pummeled and missing the playoffs year after yer.

He did have TRE DAY!  TRE DAY! TRE DAY!

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 1:03 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Which was a rip off of “MAY DAY” from the legend of Rick Jeanneret

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 1:03 PM, BuffaloRush said:

I also loved “Shady’s gonna score! Shady’s gonna score!” In the snow game. Definitely has had some memorable calls, and I definitely think he’s above average when listening to other teams broadcasts.

The guy in Philly’s voice is so annoying, I legitimately cannot listen to their broadcasts. I know the guy is a legend in Philly but... god almighty his voice is so grating.

Neither.  He's terrible.  Also, he does not have a pleasing timbre to his voice.

Edited by eball
  • Like 1

Meh- nothing dramatic.

To be fair, he followed Miller and has been forced to attempt to develop Chicken Salad outta stinkin' Chicken Shite, virtually every week of his tenure.

Onviously, a bit of an insider shill, who goes out of his way, to not criticize the team over this Millennium.

I think he's pretty bad but I like him more than Van. The thing that irritated me about Van is that when the chips were down with the team he was just as emotional and despondent as me which dragged me down even more. The one strength that Murph has is that when things go bad on the field he remains relatively emotionally neutral (maybe he just doesn't care as much).  His neutrality is a therapeutic reminder that it's just a game.  

On 9/23/2018 at 12:56 PM, vincec said:

Not even close. Van had the pleasure of that. I believe Rick Azar did as well.

Murphy has a good radio voice,but I cannot stand his signature call of “Touchdown, touchdown,touchdown Buffalo.”

Three times. Really Murph? 

For some reason that annoys me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Which was a rip off of “MAY DAY” from the legend of Rick Jeanneret

He acknowledged as much, that it was his tribute to RJ.  My favorite, "LEODIS, MAH MAN!!!"  

I would like to have the option of WGR (or whoever) on gamedays, but I get blocked if the Bill's are not broadcast on TV in my area. I've tried iheartradio.com and radio.com. 

Suggestions?

9 minutes ago, dlonce said:

Not even close. Van had the pleasure of that. I believe Rick Azar Al Meltzer did as well.

FTFY.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

He's definitely not overrated because most people don't have him highly rated to begin with but I certainly wouldn't say he is underrated either.  Average sounds about right to me.  

His emotions always sound forced, even when there is real excitement. 

• Like 2

Since I've moved out of NY 10 years ago, I've listened to a lot of Bills games through the radio network.  I would say the following about Murph/Kelso:

Positives:

-Murph does a good job of reminding the listener of score, down/distance, etc.  That's an underrated quality that a lot of radio play-by-play men don't have.

-Murph tends to be fairly descriptive of what is occurring. (RJ, though he's great, often describes a player as being "down there" or something non-descriptive for a radio listener).

-Kelso is really good and does a good job explaining what was occurring, or offering advice on what he thinks the team should be doing.  I think Kelso has really progressed and got very good in his role.

-I also think for the most part Murph/Kelso are fairly realistic on the radio broadcast of where the team is.  (I don't listen to Murph's show, so I can't compare how much of a homer he is between the two).

-Murph and Kelso seem to have a good chemistry and don't talk over each other.

Negatives:

-Murph's emotion/energy level can be hard to "agree" with. Scoring a TD when you're down 20, I don't need the yelling/excitement.

-I didn't like the "Tre Day" call, or a lot of the nicknames that Murph uses.  

Overall, listening to other radio broadcasts, I think they're pretty good.  Listening to Murph is tough when he's always going to be compared to Van Miller and RJ, but that's a historically difficult job to follow up.

(I know the thread wasn't about Kelso, but I think it's better to analyze them as a team).

i love murph. he may get a bit twisted during the game calling , but who doesn't? great  side to kelso who provides excellent inside info.

I don’t think he’s that bad, but whoever said it upthread is right. You never wanna be the guy that has to follow a legend.