Joe B.: Bills Sacrificing Miserable Season For Long-Term Growth

BuffaloRush

Just now, Batman1876 said:

The youngest roster is the cowboys they have 21 guys who are rookies or in their 2nd year, we have 20. That’s the “youth movement” that the average age alone doesn’t tell you about. 

And the Youth are playing right because you know this was expected aparantly. Lol

46 minutes ago, Your brain broke said:

Where has anyone (ownership,Bean McDermott) come out and said they expected this or are that it's all part of their "process"?

McDermott says it all the time without directly saying it. After one of the blowouts last year he said at his presser something to the effect of you need to lose before you can win. They are going to try and be competitive but they are not going to sell out to win until next year.

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You wouldnt take Darby on his Rookie deal over well who is the CB now that Davis Quit? Pitts

Yeah, I guess I’d take him now given the current situation with Davis, but that’s not saying too much. I’d be happier with a healthy EJ Gaines.

Now Gilmore? I wasn’t too happy to see him go. Didn’t cry either though.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So someone guess the next spin job after McD 7th blowout loss 

Why are you saying it’s spin? It seems to be their approach all along, no a story told after the fact. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Then no deal, you don't give away great players even if they are not perfect character people.

It was character and contract those things made him not worth it. If he was playing like an all pro he’d be here but as it was he wasn’t worth it. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So someone guess the next spin job after McD 7th blowout loss 

he has to spin it.

he can't come out and say , "yeah we suck and have no talent."

losing is never fun but getting a high pick without trading assets is going to greatly benefit this team, just wish we did it last year.

55 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Then Why is Ducasse playing?

Why did Holmes and Kerley make the team NOT Coleman and Reiley?

Why is Mills and or Newhouse playing?

Why wasnt McCoy Dealt?

Why was cap space used on players that wont be here when rebuild over? 

This is the latest spin after they have been embarassed for two weeks. 

So what happened to win now win in the future did that go out the door with 47-3?

Thank you for this post.  This is my issue with the current regime.  I can fully support tanking now to win later.  But the way they keep/start/sign these 30+ year old players that won't be here by the time they rebuild is a complete waste of resources, cap space, & in game learning experience for younger players.  Watkins/Glenn/Dareus/Darby/Ragland (whichever of these players you wanted to keep) are young enough to build around.  Vontae Davis, Vlad Ducasse, Lesean McCoy, Chris Ivory etc are not.  

54 minutes ago, Your brain broke said:

Where has anyone (ownership,Bean McDermott) come out and said they expected this or are that it's all part of their "process"?

It has become an after the fact justification for the embarrassment that is 2018.

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Why are you saying it’s spin? It seems to be their approach all along, no a story told after the fact. 

It was character and contract those things made him not worth it. If he was playing like an all pro he’d be here but as it was he wasn’t worth it. 

Jacksonville disagrees,

27 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

But the youth movement is what was expected from the regime. So him playing goes directly against this latest propaganda 

Who cares how old he is?  John Miller and Ryan Groy (who, without looking has gotta be as old as Ducasse, right?) are decidedly worse than him.  So why single him out?

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Again, in large part to the new regimes

strategy of cutting/trading young, quality players and replacing them with trash. 

Salary cap moves. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Jacksonville disagrees,

He’s worth more to them than he was to us. 

We got rid of some good players for various reasons (not that I agree with them).

We got rid of some of these guys because of what has been referred to as "bad contracts."

We have "replaced" some of those guys with McBeane's bad contracts.

We have exponentially increased our dead money.

We are likely to be one of the worst teams in the NFL at the end of the season.

Because we are likely to be one of the worst teams in the NFL (and we have an inexperienced rookie QB), we are likely to have to overpay to attract free agents.

In other words, read "bad contracts."

Rinse and repeat.

At the same time, we have an aging lineup.

Edited by Peter

36 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

By all accounts, Coleman wasn't trying at all. 

Also come on, Goodwin was everyone's punching bag here, now we think he's some kind of god? Also Watkins and Glenn were hurt all the time and Gilmore still hates tackling.

Goodwin may have been different with this rocket armed qb. 

27 minutes ago, klos63 said:

We have 4 problems on the offensive line, being the least of our line problems is still 25% of our line problem.

I didn't say I like him.  But he isn't nearly as bad as Miller and Groy from literally every last account of people who watch and grade every play.  So, again, why do people single him out?  Look, I follow football as closely as anyone on the planet that doesn't rewatch games and grade offensive linemen on every play.  All I can tell you (without rewatching) is whether the line is good or bad.  It's obviously bad.  Occasionally when they show a replay, I will look to see where the pressure came from.  But anyone who watches a game (and follows the ball every play like everyone else) and then tries to tell me who was worse than other guys on the line is a PHONY.  Period. 

The reason why McBeane and the Pegula's can't just come out and say "Hey look fans and sponsors, we are going to sacrifice this season and take a step back in order to take 2 or 3 steps forward for the long-term future, so deal with it" is because so many dummies on here and in the media would lose their minds. It would be a shitshow, a dumpster fire. So unfortunately, that puts them in the position of having to teeter on this half in / half out gimmick. 

I have been saying this since last season... WHO CARES IF WE WIN A SINGLE GAME THIS ENTIRE SEASON??? What good does it do? It does nothing! The only thing as fans you should be caring about this season, is seeing JA17 develop and not get hurt. And that hopefully some of our young guys on the roster now will continue to develop and become pillar/foundational type players for a true super bowl caliber team in 2-3 years. Period. End of story! Write this season off. Let the complete rebuild begin. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

Thank you for this post.  This is my issue with the current regime.  I can fully support tanking now to win later.  But the way they keep/start/sign these 30+ year old players that won't be here by the time they rebuild is a complete waste of resources, cap space, & in game learning experience for younger players.  Watkins/Glenn/Dareus/Darby/Ragland (whichever of these players you wanted to keep) are young enough to build around.  Vontae Davis, Vlad Ducasse, Lesean McCoy, Chris Ivory etc are not.  

Be careful you are not supposed to question the Process or the FO. You will be chastised. I am already known as a negative dick here so will take that torch 

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Great comments from Joe B.  He does a great job putting things into perspective and has been echoing what many of us have been saying for a while.  Read the comments in bold

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-chargers-9_16_18

No.

The Bills aren't "sacrificing" anything. McDermott and Beane are building long term, but they clearly care about the now, too.

We were 1-1 last year after 2 games in a playoff season, now we're 0-2 after 2 games and our last half of football looked like we started figuring something out.

We're going to be the butt of a lot of jokes nationally for the next few weeks, but it's clear to me that the part of what Joe B says in the "they knew this was coming" are growing pains with a rookie QB of the offense and Defense... and now toss in McDermott relinquishing Frazier of playcalling duties for the defense.

The team is learning and adjusting and trying to get better.

And they will.

We're going to win some games, folks. 

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

No.

The Bills aren't "sacrificing" anything. McDermott and Beane are building long term, but they clearly care about the now, too.

We were 1-1 last year after 2 games in a playoff season, now we're 0-2 after 2 games and our last half of football looked like we started figuring something out.

We're going to be the butt of a lot of jokes nationally for the next few weeks, but it's clear to me that the part of what Joe B says in the "they knew this was coming" are growing pains with a rookie QB of the offense and Defense... and now toss in McDermott relinquishing Frazier of playcalling duties for the defense.

The team is learning and adjusting and trying to get better.

And they will.

We're going to win some games, folks. 

How many games are we going to win this year?

10 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

Who cares how old he is?  John Miller and Ryan Groy (who, without looking has gotta be as old as Ducasse, right?) are decidedly worse than him.  So why single him out?

Because the regime is apparently talking about this youth movemt growth thing as their latest after the fact excuse 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Be careful you are not supposed to question the Process or the FO. You will be chastised. I am already known as a negative dick here so will take that torch 

That’s not because you question the process. It’s because you chose to ignore why they started the process. 

4 minutes ago, metzelaars_lives said:

I didn't say I like him.  But he isn't nearly as bad as Miller and Groy from literally every last account of people who watch and grade every play.  So, again, why do people single him out?  Look, I follow football as closely as anyone on the planet that doesn't rewatch games and grade offensive linemen on every play.  All I can tell you (without rewatching) is whether the line is good or bad.  It's obviously bad.  Occasionally when they show a replay, I will look to see where the pressure came from.  But anyone who watches a game (and follows the ball every play like everyone else) and then tries to tell me who was worse than other guys on the line is a PHONY.  Period. 

There's always a whipping boy, this time it's Ducasse.

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

That’s not because you question the process. It’s because you chose to ignore why they started the process. 

They seem to change the process at every whim so there is no telling what they are thinking or why they started it 

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Ragland is starting at ILB for the 2-0 Chiefs

I never understood why there was not a place on this team for him and some others . . . especially given that he was on a rookie contract and especially on a team that has such a hard time stopping the run.

Darby is another guy.  People like to say McCoach likes to play zone.  Well, it is a hell of a lot easier for a man to man guy to play zone than the other way around.  I am confident that Darby could do well in this defense . . . and, indeed, we really could use him.

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

Not an after the fact excuse. 

We started hearing it after the historic and embarrassing loss last week.

It is going to get downright ugly this year.  If historically embarrassing losses are part of the process, God help us.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

how is he doing for them, he was terrible for us.plus he didn't fit the system.

We sure could use a guy who can tackle and stop the run.

So if this Propaganda is true. 

LT - Dawkins

LG - Teller

C - Groy

RG - Ike 

RT - McDermott

TE - Croom, Thomas

that should be the starters on OL and TE right 

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

I’ve seen 0 change in the overall process. What change have you seen?

What is the Overall Process  Once it is defined I will tell you. 

This Process is no different than a Politician with no public agenda 

Edited by MAJBobby

Just now, Peter said:

I never understood why there was not a place on this team for him and some others . . . especially given that he was on a rookie contract and especially on a team that has such a hard time stopping the run.

This is one thing that has bugged me about "The Process" from the beginning. they want to build through the draft.  So the first thing they do is get rid of all the guys we drafted in the last few years.  Talk about derailing your plan.

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Again just explain to me HOW Kerley and Holmes fit this expected growth pain year coming out of OBD. 

Explain to me how brining Kyle back does

how giving an Star big money does

Same with Murphy 

i mean if it is expected HOW do those offseason moves FIT the plan

You seriously don't understand the concept of short term roster fillers?  Really?  They have no cap room until next year and a finite number of draft picks each year.

The goal from day 1 was to get the QB, something Whaley never address, which is why all his 'young talent' never got better than average.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

You seriously don't understand the concept of short term roster fillers?  Really?  They have no cap room until next year and a finite number of draft picks each year.

The goal from day 1 was to get the QB, something Whaley never address, which is why all his 'young talent' never got better than average.

Sure i do. So tell me how Kerley and Holmes are better short term roster fillers than Coleman and Reilly who may have upside if your season is about developing youth?

now seeing you want to bring Whaley into it. He was high on Mahomes 

Edited by MAJBobby