Joe B.: Bills Sacrificing Miserable Season For Long-Term Growth

BuffaloRush

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

They seem to change the process at every whim so there is no telling what they are thinking or why they started it 

You are right on here.

Not only have they stolen their catch phrase, they are so vague about what the "process" is so that they can attempt to justify just about anything they do as being part of the process:

"Yes, we lost and were totally outplayed and outreached and embarrassed, but that is all part of the process.  We want to show the players what it is like to be a cluster **** of a team so that they will appreciate what we are trying to build."

Just now, Peter said:

We started hearing it after the historic and embarrassing loss last week.

It is going to get downright ugly this year.  If historically embarrassing losses are part of the process, God help us.

They said it all along with their actions. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

So if this Propaganda is true. 

LT - Dawkins

LG - Teller

C - Groy

RG - Ike 

RT - McDermott

TE - Croom, Thomas

that should be the starters on OL and TE right 

What is the Overall Process  Once it is defined I will tell you. 

This Process is no different than a Politician with no public agenda 

Dig out the team from Whaley’s cap issues. Convert the old roster into draft picks. Get a rookie QB. absorb all the losses from those changes and trades before 2019. Adddraft picks and free agents in 2019 to improve.  

2 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

They said it all along with their actions. 

Dig out the team from Whaley’s cap issues. Convert the old roster into draft picks. Get a rookie QB. absorb all the losses from those changes and trades before 2019. Adddraft picks and free agents in 2019 to improve.  

Good Now is that YOUR interpretation of whatever Process is or is McD on record saying that

Edited by MAJBobby

2 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

This is one thing that has bugged me about "The Process" from the beginning. they want to build through the draft.  So the first thing they do is get rid of all the guys we drafted in the last few years.  Talk about derailing your plan.

It is very odd.  Not only did they get rid of many guys that we drafted (that clearly can play in this league):

1) They fired the priest that Rex hired;

2) They kept Crossman (because they presumably thought he was good for Lord knows what reason) but fired his assistant, Kathryn Smith, after the Bills made such h a big deal of promoting her to a full time coach.

Firing the priest seemed so cold blooded and gratuitous.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea because Joe B has inside info.

Terrible piece. What was "long overdue"? Trading away and not retaining young talented players for draft picks and replacing them with trash? 

We have no young players Joe.... due to the new regime. 

It doesn't take 5 years to rebuild a football team. Why is this so hard to understand?

I agree that throwing a full season in the toilet seems like a very rash move in 2018.

Long, slow, patient rebuilds are a thing of the past.

You need to be able to win now while retooling for the future as well.

Or at least maintain the appearance of a win now team.

We look every bit the worst team in the league, with little hope of winning now, and the playoffs are out of the question.

As I said in another thread, the season is over this year in Week 2.  Never mind Thanksgiving!  Or Halloween for that matter!

Week 2!  

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Great comments from Joe B.  He does a great job putting things into perspective and has been echoing what many of us have been saying for a while.

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-chargers-9_16_18

I read the article and see some justified criticism for aspects that have persisted since last year and are not being addressed:

4) McDermott deserves criticism for gameday roster
- (...) Sean McDermott still deserves some heat for the way he structured his active players for this game. For the second week in a row, the Bills decided to dress only four cornerbacks on game day, and for the second week in a row, they suffered an injury that left them woefully understaffed. In Week One, the Bills lost Taron Johnson and were forced to play safety Rafael Bush at nickel corner, and the Bills wound up surrendering a touchdown because of it. Then against the Chargers, the Bills had Phillip Gaines suffer an elbow injury, and he was done for the day, to which Bush had to trot back out there as the nickel corner -- playing out of position once more. By the way, this isn't an isolated incident -- this happened numerous times through the 2017 season where they played with fire by dressing one player too little, and injuries came back to bite them. There is a reason why this is a common problem for the Bills. For some reason, they feel the need to dress a ridiculous amount of special teams-only types -- even though the play of those special teams units have not matched the concern they give for it on the active roster. The Bills dressed an additional running back, a safety, two linebackers, and a wide receiver who primarily operate as core special teams players. Those are precious spots on the gameday roster that can give breathing room and flexibility at most your positions, rather than testing fate too often. Something has to give here

Joe B also points out places in which the Bills are NOT following the philosophy The time to get experience to the young players is here, in the hopes that things start to click as the season progresses.  For example, he points out that right guard John Miller looked as though he was just a step too slow and a step behind to recognize delayed pressure, which has blown up far too many plays through only two weeks and suggests Bills should give serious consideration to letting the fifth-round rookie guard Wyatt Teller take over at right guard. Miller is on the last year of his rookie contract, and likely doesn't have a future in Buffalo past 2018 given his level of play in both 2017 and 2018. Teller is a player still with four years left on a manageable contract.  

Joe B points out a similar situation in which 2nd year guy Milano is getting yo-yo'd for the elderly Humber: It was a head-scratching move, especially considering how well Milano played in the Week One blowout loss to the Ravens (...) if this trend continues, you can expect to see a lot of weaknesses in pass coverage for the snaps that Humber is out. Milano needs those lessons, but he also needs the snaps to continue to improve on an impressive rookie season.

Joe B is undoubtedly right that Beane and McDermott are safe, so long as the Bills continue to show some signs of life and to play as they did in the 2nd half today (vs. the embarrassing laughing stock they were last week and in the 1st half today).  But there are puzzling lapses and gaps in how they're managing the roster, including the gameday roster, and in their apparent preparation for the game, which need to be addressed.

This whole rebuild thing depends on several thing all happing:

1. JOsh Allen is a franchise QB.

2. Beane can draft stud players with all his draft picks, 10 I think t is

3. Beane must HIT on the FA signings next year.

4. The have to win at least 8 games by 2020

Really, they'll be doing well if they can get back to 2014/2015 level talent by 2020 IMHO.

If i had any confidence that the Bills can get worse on purpose and then get better within a couple of years, I'd be all for it.  But I don't.

Hopefully it works out.

Go BILLS !!

Just now, Peter said:

It is very odd.  Not only did they get rid of many guys that we drafted (that clearly can play in this league):

1) They fired the priest that Rex hired;

2) They kept Crossman (because they presumably thought he was good for Lord knows what reason) but fired his assistant, Kathryn Smith, after the Bills made such h a big deal of promoting her to a full time coach.

Firing the priest seemed so cold blooded and gratuitous.

Well Kept Crossman because of Philly Connection with McDicky. Same reason hired Teflon Juan. (Our two worst coaches by the way)

The goal last year was to bottom out, since that didn't happen it's going to be a long year but our rookie QB is getting hands on training probably a season earlier than the team wanted and so far there has been ups and downs but I like what I'm seeing so far. I expect a top 10 pick and it will help us in the long run, OT/WR should be the top targets when the pick is up. 

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Good Now is that YOUR interpretation of whatever Process is or is McD on record saying that

Youre asking if he said “ itsgoing to be hard to field a competitive team because of roster turn over and dead cap”? Of course not. But they obviously knew fielding a team 54 million in the hole with rookies in key positions was not going to make for a great team this year. 

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

Youre asking if he said “ itsgoing to be hard to field a competitive team because of roster turn over and dead cap”? Of course not. But they obviously knew fielding a team 54 million in the hole with rookies in key positions was not going to make for a great team this year. 

So when did this develop youth movement start. Always planned right. So again back to my questions on the first page. 

Cant have it one way and do something else and not expect to get called on it. 

It is funny how the realists here and in the media were shouted down by certain McBeane people leading up to this season.

Now, various McBeane people* are saying that this is all part of the "process" and was to be expected.

*TBF, I have not checked and do not know whether these are the same McBeane people.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

The goal last year was to bottom out, since that didn't happen it's going to be a long year but our rookie QB is getting hands on training probably a season earlier than the team wanted and so far there has been ups and downs but I like what I'm seeing so far. I expect a top 10 pick and it will help us in the long run, OT/WR should be the top targets when the pick is up. 

Top 10?

I think Top 3 is assured, if not First.

In the first half today, we looked like the team that played in Baltimore, which his to say, a team that would struggle to win a single game this year.

We admittedly looked much better in the second half, but there aren't many teams in the league as bas as us this year.

These future drafts are going to have to be awesome. with the number of holes this roster has.    We have 3 extra day 3 picks. Not like we are loaded in the early rounders     I think its going to take a 86 49ers draft where  they moved down several times and had some great hits to turn this talent depleted roster into something competitive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Peter said:

It is funny how the realists here and in the media were shouted down by certain McBeane people leading up to this season.

Now, various McBeane people* are saying that this is all part of the "process" and was to be expected.

*TBF, I have not checked and do not know whether these are the same McBeane people.

But no it was ALWAYS planned and not an after the fact spin to getting SMOKED 47-3 with continued roster makeup issues 

2 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

These future drafts are going to have to be awesome. with the number of holes this roster has.    We have 3 extra day 3 picks. Not like we are loaded in the early rounders     I think its going to take a 86 49ers draft where  they moved down several times and had some great hits to turn this talent depleted roster into something competitive.

Dont worry its the Process you know. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, MAJBobby said:

But no it was ALWAYS planned and not an after the fact spin to getting SMOKED 47-3 with continued roster makeup issues 

I really think that this was part of the master plan.  McBeane want players who have some humility.  Suffering an historic beat down clearly was part of the process.