Joe B.: Bills Sacrificing Miserable Season For Long-Term Growth

BuffaloRush

Great comments from Joe B.  He does a great job putting things into perspective and has been echoing what many of us have been saying for a while.  Read the comments in bold

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/joe-b-7-observations-from-buffalo-bills-los-angeles-chargers-9_16_18

Well here we are, in the spot that many thought the Bills would have been in for the 2017 season -- just one year later. The Bills are seemingly all in on 2018 being a rebuilding effort, using rhetoric like "nobody said it was going to be pretty," and "we're a work in progress." From a long-term rebuilding perspective, it has been something that has long been overdue from the franchise -- but one that needs to happen correctly with the moves that they make to rebuild that roster. The time to get experience to the young players is here, in the hopes that things start to click as the season progresses. The same goes for the long-term free agent signings the Bills have made, in the hope that they are a part of the solution for 2019 and 2020. Not every fan will be onboard for such an, at times, miserable season for the sake of long-term growth, but all that matters, in the end, is that they nail it with the core players that they've identified. Those fans out there that are starting to get the urge to want Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane canned, I've got bad news. They aren't going anywhere. They are as safe as can be and have delivered on every promise they've made to ownership to this point. They have time on their side and the understanding from Terry and Kim Pegula that 2018 likely wasn't going to be a pretty one. This type of season is what the Bills signed up for when they changed the entire building of staff, so this is going according to plan. Whether or not it works remains to be seen, but the broader point to understand is that they knew this was coming. Now, it's a matter of finding those small gains that can turn into long-term solutions. In the end, that's what 2018 is all about.

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Then Why is Ducasse playing?

Why did Holmes and Kerley make the team NOT Coleman and Reiley?

Why is Mills and or Newhouse playing?

Why wasnt McCoy Dealt?

Why was cap space used on players that wont be here when rebuild over? 

This is the latest spin after they have been embarassed for two weeks. 

So what happened to win now win in the future did that go out the door with 47-3?

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 4

If that is the case, then the good news is that when they head into the offseason, they will (hopefully) have a potential franchise QB in the fold and locked up for the next four years.   That is a lot different than trying to rebuild without knowing what you have at QB.

• Like (+1) 3

I hope it works, and I will support them all the way...but this is basically the line we were sold with the Sabres a few years ago, but the GM proved much more adept at taring down what was there and acquiring future assetts, than he was at re-building...so we were treated to an extended period of some of the most miserable seasons in Sabres franchise history...lets just hope McDermot and Beane know how to re-build an NFL team, better than Tim Murray did and NHL team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Fine and dandy, but stop making mistakes like trading McCarron before you're convinced your designated starter has progressed from his disastrous rookie season, especially since his back-up is nothing more than a raw rookie you'd like to bring along slowly and not see debilitated since he has a very "offensive" line in front of him.

• Like (+1) 7

I’m okay with it.  Allen is giving me some hope.  If they can put some focus on the o line in the offseason and get a true #1 receiver, we’ll be in business.

Tough wait ahead, though.  I look forward all year to the start of the season, and by halftime today it was basically over.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why wasnt McCoy Dealt?

So what happened to win now win in the future did that go out the door with 47-3?

If you read the article, he touches on some of this.  Pretty sure I can answer a few of these questions:

He is one of the best lineman on the team.  Watch Wyatt Teller in the preseason

My guess is because Coleman didn't show very much in the preseason.  Holmes was kept because he's a veteran and plays ST's better than Reilly.  No idea why Kerley was released.

They are the best RT's on the team  

Why wasnt McCoy Dealt?

How much can you really get for a 30 year-old RB?  Price might go up if a playoff contender loses a RB.

Such as????   Only name I can think about is Trent Murphy and his contract has some out clauses.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why wasnt McCoy Dealt?

I ask:

Why is John Miller still here?

Why is Shaq Lawson still here?

Why is Jim Overdorf still here?

Why is Chris Brown still here?

Why is John Murphy still here?

Why is the statue of Ralph Wilson still standing?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Why wasnt McCoy Dealt?

Bobby many people on this board have debated this endlessly. Our O line is what it is because we have no one behind Mills and co except Teller who isn't ready yet.

Coleman sucked as it turned out, and Reilly just wasnt that good. He doesn't even have a job.

McCoy wasn't traded because we needed SOME semblance of offense, which is also why we "spent" cap space on rentals like Gaines and Davis. 

This year is a rebuilding year and it has been since the draft. 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

If you read the article, he touches on some of this.  Pretty sure I can answer a few of these questions:

Ha ha ha. 

My guess is because Coleman didn't show very much in the preseason.  Holmes was kept because he's a veteran and plays ST's better than Reilly.  No idea why Kerley was released.

So NOTHING to do with youth and rebuild like the new propaganda 

Again nothing to do with this experience Propaganda while career inactive McDermott get zero reps 

Why wasnt McCoy Dealt?

How much can you really get for a 30 year-old RB?  Price might go up if a playoff contender loses a RB.

Value. But hey your right it isnt a youth movement just the latest spin after getting smoked week 1 

Such as????   Only name I can think about is Trent Murphy and his contract has some out clauses.

Star, Vonte, Woods Extension Murphy 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Yea because Joe B has inside info.

Terrible piece. What was "long overdue"? Trading away young talented players for draft picks and replacing them with trash? 

We have no young players Joe.... due to the new regime. 

It doesn't take 5 years to rebuild a football team. Why is this so hard to understand?

It does if you want long success. Look at the Seahawks as opposed to Philly's "dream team" 

6 minutes ago, Success said:

I’m okay with it.  Allen is giving me some hope.  If they can put some focus on the o line in the offseason and get a true #1 receiver, we’ll be in business.

Tough wait ahead, though.  I look forward all year to the start of the season, and by halftime today it was basically over.

The brass needs to totally concentrate on OL and DL......enough with this get any big guy mentality..... I even saw bs like that posted on this site during the run up to the draft.  Without a good OL and DL you have nothing, and it doesn’t even matter who your QB or WR are.

Edited by RFL
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Why wasnt McCoy Dealt?

Actually Wyatt Teller looked pretty darn good in pre season

3 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Bobby many people on this board have debated this endlessly. Our O line is what it is because we have no one behind Mills and co except Teller who isn't ready yet.

Coleman sucked as it turned out, and Reilly just wasnt that good. He doesn't even have a job.

But youth movement they expected to be bad is the newest spin so wouldnt the youth WRs of Coleman and Reilly to see if there is something there fit this reported expectation?

McCoy wasn't traded because we needed SOME semblance of offense, which is also why we "spent" cap space on rentals like Gaines and Davis. 

So It isnt the youth movement as recently talked about. 

This year is a rebuilding year and it has been since the draft. 

Just now, ScottLaw said:

The Seahawks? 

What about them? They were mediocre for a couple years before taking off. The complete opposite of what the Bills are doing at the moment. 

Yeah, thats my point. They took a couple years to build talent. Which is what we are doing.

2 minutes ago, RFL said:

The brass needs to totally concentrate on OL and DL......enough with this get any big guy mentality..... I even saw bs like that posted on this site during the run up to the draft.  Without a good OL and DL you have nothing, and it doesn’t even matter who your QB or WR are.

It’s a cliche, but it really is all about the trenches.

It’s really too bad what happened with Richie and Wood.  The line would at least be average if they were still here.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

It does if you want long success. Look at the Seahawks as opposed to Philly's "dream team" 

Lonh success what have the Seahawks done had a

couple year run??? Philly going to be good for a long time