Is Ruben Brown the most underrated/forgotten Bills player of all-time?

BigDingus

Ruben Brown (Guard):

1. Played 8 consecutive seasons for the Bills from 1996 to 2003, only missing 8 total games.

2. Made the Pro Bowl in all 8 seasons with the team (9 overall).

3. He was a 2nd Team All-Pro in 4 seasons; 1998, 1999, 2000 & 2002.

Now that we got that out of the way, I just wanted to ask why he's rarely mentioned in the "best-of" conversations, or "All-whatever team" threads that pop up on the boards. The three things I can think of are 1) he played after the Super Bowls & the hey-day of the Kelly, Thurman, Reed, Bruce, etc. era, 2) he was only part of the 18 year drought for a couple of years, and 3) he was a Guard.

Maybe it's because he's never been up for HOF consideration, even though he's quite deserving. Problem there is many linemen get snubbed for the Hall, so that's nothing new. Crazier still, I just was reading an article which mentioned that along with Bruce Smith, Ruben Brown is the only Bills player to have more Pro Bowl selections than Kelly, Thomas, Reed, Simpson, etc. 

Does nobody else find it odd he still doesn't get the recognition or credit he deserves? If anything, the guy deserves a spot on the Bills Wall of Fame. It's amusing that in his day, some thought he was actually overrated, yet now he's all but forgotten in most discussions. He's easily the most accomplished Bills O-linemen, and for a long time, he was one of the most accomplished & elite linemen in the league period.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

He was definitely a good player, but he was also the poster boy in his day for guys who got to the Pro Bowl because he got there the year before. He probably deserved the first two or three.

He was All-Pro 4 times, last being 2006, I think, so he was still really good....

2 hours ago, Bills Fan in Haiti said:

He was definitely a good player, but he was also the poster boy in his day for guys who got to the Pro Bowl because he got there the year before. He probably deserved the first two or three.

Yeah I agree with this comment.  Rueben was very good for many years, but I think toward the end of his career with the Bills, especially toward the end, his play was inconsistent.  There were several years that he was maybe a bit more than average and he still made the Pro Bowl.  I remember when Donahoe released him in 2003.  Most fans were fine with in because he had a phat contract and wasn’t so good.

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Yeah I agree with this comment.  Rueben was very good for many years, but I think toward the end of his career with the Bills, especially toward the end, his play was inconsistent.  There were several years that he was maybe a bit more than average and he still made the Pro Bowl.  I remember when Donahoe released him in 2003.  Most fans were fine with in because he had a phat contract and wasn’t so good.

Most fans were also fine with it since he quit on the team at the end of the 2003 season (arguably the worst year of the drought)... !@#$ him.

I also agree that he made critical mistakes at the absolute worst times.

• Like (+1) 1