Top 5 qbs all-time

CDogg20

I'd love to see Brady's smug face playing in a leather helmet...  

Graham_original.jpg?1280266181

Automatic Otto, as Graham was known, only played 10 seasons of professional football. 

In those 10 years, he amassed seven All-Pro selections, three MVP awards, four AAFC championships and three NFL championships. 

His Browns went to the Championship game every year of his career. 

He lead the NFL in touchdowns three times, completion percentage four times, passer rating four times and passing yards five times. 

His 174 touchdowns were second all time, and his 23,584 passing yards were an NFL record at the time he retired. 

His 86.6 passer rating was nearly 10 points above anyone else in 1955 and stood as an NFL record until it was surpassed by Joe Montana in 1982. 

Graham is still the only player to gain more than 10 yards per attempt for a season more than once.  His 44 career rushing touchdowns are still the most for any quarterback.

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Is it possible that someone like Jim Kelly just won the games by getting his team ahead earlier? 

Yes, for sure; one of the reasons they loved running no huddle was it often helped them build decent leads and bury their AFC competition during the SB years

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

This is such a hard thing to do because comparing across generations is pointless. 

Would Brady Succeed in the years WRs could get mugged and QBs could get hit?

Debatable, lot of the stuff they run now you could not do then because of all the contact with receivers  All that quick timing short stuff would have been very tough to consistently do back then

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:
Graham_original.jpg?1280266181

Automatic Otto, as Graham was known, only played 10 seasons of professional football. 

In those 10 years, he amassed seven All-Pro selections, three MVP awards, four AAFC championships and three NFL championships. 

His Browns went to the Championship game every year of his career. 

He lead the NFL in touchdowns three times, completion percentage four times, passer rating four times and passing yards five times. 

His 174 touchdowns were second all time, and his 23,584 passing yards were an NFL record at the time he retired. 

His 86.6 passer rating was nearly 10 points above anyone else in 1955 and stood as an NFL record until it was surpassed by Joe Montana in 1982. 

Graham is still the only player to gain more than 10 yards per attempt for a season more than once.  His 44 career rushing touchdowns are still the most for any quarterback.

He also led his team to 29 straight games without a defeat (1947-49) To put that in perspective, his team lost one game in 1947, finished the 1947 season without a defeat and won the championship, went all of 1948 without a defeat (winning the championship), and lost one game in 1949 (winning the championship).

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

So just throwing this out there as a Kelly homer—NONE of the other class of ‘83 greats playing in the AFC (Elway, Marino) EVER were able to get past Kelly in the playoffs; Jim won each time head to head (and let’s not forget also took care of Montana in ‘93 AFC title game) while acting as his own OC at the line. That little publicized fact lost in the 4 SB run was one of the reasons Vic Carucci, who I believe made his case to the voters, mentions that Jim went in the HOF on the 1st ballot. Also for what it’s worth, the Bills beat each of their SB rivals the same season or immediately after, each of the SB losses. Unfortunately while I think Brady is probably the GOAT and JK is not in the top 5, I still prefer JK’s tough nosed playing style and attitude as my #1 all time. Talk amongst yourselves...

I love Jimbo but his team was MUCH better than what the other 3 you mention had to work with.

Kelly didn't knock the Montana Chiefs out of the playoffs - Bruce Smith did.  

Kelly was no better than the third best player on his own team (WAY behind Smith and a little bit behind Thomas).

3 minutes ago, BobChalmers said:

I love Jimbo but his team was MUCH better than what the other 3 you mention had to work with.

Kelly didn't knock the Montana Chiefs out of the playoffs - Bruce Smith did.  

Kelly was no better than the third best player on his own team (WAY behind Smith and a little bit behind Thomas).

Then can’t we apply your logic to Brady in discounting his AFC East dominance? Since the Bills and pretty much the rest of the division have been so deplorable the last 17 years, does that count against his GOAT status? Again, I’m not saying JK best ever, just saying I loved his style and bring it attitude. Packed his hard hat and lunch pail each and every year

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Then can’t we apply your logic to Brady in discounting his AFC East dominance? Since the Bills and pretty much the rest of the division have been so deplorable the last 17 years, does that count against his GOAT status?

I don't think the Pats dominance over one division (AFC East) is really what people think about with Brady as possible GOAT.  AFC dominance, Super Bowl wins, and frequently massive stat lines are more the point.

As I said - Kelly was the 3rd best player on his own team.  You can't say that about Montana, Marino, Brady, or Elway.

Edited by BobChalmers

1 minute ago, BobChalmers said:

I don't think the Pats dominance over one division (AFC East) is really what people think about with Brady as possible GOAT.  AFC dominance, Super Bowl wins, and frequently massive stat lines are more the point.

As I said - Kelly was the 3rd best player on his own team.  You can't say that about Montana, Marino, Brady, or Elway.

As Kelly went, so too usually the Bills. He was without a doubt the cog that made those gears turn and unquestioned leader on the field. Bruce was that role for the D, although have to give Talley an honorable mention here 

18 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

So just throwing this out there as a Kelly homer—NONE of the other class of ‘83 greats playing in the AFC (Elway, Marino) EVER were able to get past Kelly in the playoffs; Jim won each time head to head (and let’s not forget also took care of Montana in ‘93 AFC title game) while acting as his own OC at the line. That little publicized fact lost in the 4 SB run was one of the reasons Vic Carucci, who I believe made his case to the voters, mentions that Jim went in the HOF on the 1st ballot. Also for what it’s worth, the Bills beat each of their SB rivals the same season or immediately after, each of the SB losses. Unfortunately while I think Brady is probably the GOAT and JK is not in the top 5, I still prefer JK’s tough nosed playing style and attitude as my #1 all time. Talk amongst yourselves...

I'll agree with you as far as him beating Marino and Elway in the playoffs but him beating Montana in the playoffs was at the end of Montana's career in a game that he got knocked out of. Whenever Kelly got to the Super Bowl he was horrible with the exception of maybe the first one and if the Bills would have played against Montana in the Super Bowl, Montana would have killed us. He was the man when it came to the big game

5 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

1.) Brady

2.) Montana

3.) Rodgers

4.) Manning

5.) Favre

6.) Roethlisberger

7.) Unitas

8.) Staubach

9.) Young

10.) Kelly

11.) Marino

I'm not reading the whole thread, but we're up to 11 names now and not one mention of John Effin Elway.