The Tweet That's The Best Argument For Josh Allen Starting Here On Out

BuffaloRush

1 hour ago, Wayne Arnold said:

I fully expect Peterman to start again next Sunday.

They don't want to ruin Allen around these trash players and they know that as soon as they start him, there's no turning back.

Not saying I agree with it.

It almost certainly won't be Peterman but I could see them signing a veteran who hasn't been signed (like Matt Moore) to take over for a few weeks. McDermott talked to Joe Buscaglia after the game and he said when deciding who the QB will be he has to look at "the people around the QB." Interview here:

That makes me think they know the offense is crap and they might not want to subject Allen to that. If they really want to embrace the tank they will just stick with Peterman. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

It almost certainly won't be Peterman but I could see them signing a veteran who hasn't been signed (like Matt Moore) to take over for a few weeks. McDermott talked to Joe Buscaglia after the game and he said when deciding who the QB will be he has to look at "the people around the QB." Interview here:

That makes me think they know the offense is crap and they might not want to subject Allen to that. If they really want to embrace the tank they will just stick with Peterman. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

No vet is coming in and starting this week. They'd need multiple weeks to learn the offense and get acclimated to the players around them before they'd be ready to perform at a self respecting level. 

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If I HAD to bet I would say Nate starts because McD is stubborn. I don't even think NP should be in the league. 

It won't be because he's stubborn. It's because he knows what this season is. I suspect if you could get an honest answer from McDermott he'd tell you last year was supposed to be the same way. They didn't trade Watkins and Darby in preseason and Dareus midseason because they were trying to win a lot of games in year 1.

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

The fans will turn on everyone including McD if they start Peterman and he stinks up the joint again.

It doesn't matter what the fans think. I have a feeling that when McDermott interviewed for the job he told Pegula that he needed 3 years to get the team in shape and the first couple years would be difficult and potentially disappointing to the fans. And Pegula gave him the green light.

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

No vet is coming in and starting this week. They'd need multiple weeks to learn the offense and get acclimated to the players around them before they'd be ready to perform at a self respecting level. 

I can see them cutting Peterman and signing a veteran but do you honestly think that they'll sign Moore on Tuesday and start him on Sunday?  I think Allen starts next week  

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It won't be because he's stubborn. It's because he knows what this season is. I suspect if you could get an honest answer from McDermott he'd tell you last year was supposed to be the same way. They didn't trade Watkins and Darby in preseason and Dareus midseason because they were trying to win a lot of games in year 1.

It doesn't matter what the fans think. I have a feeling that when McDermott interviewed for the job he told Pegula that he needed 3 years to get the team in shape and the first couple years would be difficult and potentially disappointing to the fans. And Pegula gave him the green light.

You don't convince Kyle to come back and waste one of Shady's last prime years if you're tanking. 

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I believe to a certain degree it does matter what the fans think.

I can’t see Pegula allowing McD to start Peterman next week in front of 70k people in their home opener.

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

I can see them cutting Peterman and signing a veteran but do you honestly think that they'll sign Moore on Tuesday and start him on Sunday?  I think Allen starts next week  

They might sign a vet, but that guy probably isn't starting for a month. 

When we signed Kyle Orton the day preseason ended a few years ago he took 4 games before EJ completely imploded and he was ready to take his job. 

At this point I don't see a reason to do anything unless Allen is a train wreck against the Chargers. I also question which veteran QB would want to play for us knowing the tape will be horrendous and it could negatively affect their ability to get a future job in the league. 

I think we're probably stuck with Peterman and Allen for the season unless we sign a bust 1st rounder like Paxton Lynch as cannon fodder. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

You don't convince Kyle to come back and waste one of Shady's last prime years if you're tanking. 

Harrison Phillips will learn a lot from Kyle. He and Shady are leaders. They've been around a long time. McDermott values that a ton. Tanking doesn't mean you have to field a team of replacement players only. And honestly if both Kyle and Shady got season ending injuries our final record wouldn't be any different. Their being on the team has no impact on our draft position.

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Harrison Phillips will learn a lot from Kyle. He and Shady are leaders. They've been around a long time. McDermott values that a ton. Tanking doesn't mean you have to field a team of replacement players only. And honestly if both Kyle and Shady got season ending injuries our final record wouldn't be any different. Their being on the team has no impact on our draft position.

That's not the point. It's not fair to them. And if either of them thought that was the case they would demand to be traded (Shady) or retire immediately (Kyle)

Edited by Kelly the Dog

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

If McD sends Peterman out there again, baring an injury situation, he is spending a crap ton of the capitol he built up last year...

He just can't do it...If the kid struggles he's pretty much like any NFL 1st Rd Rookie QB...It's understandable...What is not understandable it putting a 5th Rd pick out there who has not just looked bad, but historically bad in 2 NFL starts...

I'm done with any Peterman talk...It's a waste of time...He has proven he cannot be the NFL QB he has to be (quick reads, get the ball out accurately, etc) when real bullets fly...He's seemingly a good practice and Preseason QB...But that's where it very obviously ends...And it does not just end there...It ends like doing 170 into an immovable, impenetrable brick wall...?

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's not the point. It's not fair to them. And if either of them thought that was the case they would demand to be traded (Shady) or retire immediately (Kyle)

The Browns went 0-16 last year. Did anyone of note request a trade when they started Deshone Kizer for most of the year? How about the Colts when they started Curtis Painter for 16 games in a deliberate effort to get Andrew Luck? Kyle Williams has been with some truly terrible teams in his career. Sorry if it isn't fair. I'm sure Shady didn't think it was fair that his team won the Super Bowl two years after he got traded. That's life in the NFL. You don't always choose where you go

I'm of the opinion that you use high picks to draft a QB until you get it right. You're treading water in this league without a top 10 QB. Play Allen this year and see if he shows promise. If he doesn't draft another next year. It's the only position that really matters. 

17 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Browns went 0-16 last year. Did anyone of note request a trade when they started Deshone Kizer for most of the year? How about the Colts when they started Curtis Painter for 16 games in a deliberate effort to get Andrew Luck? Kyle Williams has been with some truly terrible teams in his career. Sorry if it isn't fair. I'm sure Shady didn't think it was fair that his team won the Super Bowl two years after he got traded. That's life in the NFL. You don't always choose where you go

The only person who fits my description on the Browns was Joe Thomas, and he retired before this season.