Zone Defense = #1 Problem? Or Zero Pass Rush?

Our defense is the number one problem. Ravens just scoredd 47 points on us without trying hard.  If we're 0-4 getting out scored by a lot then the DC is fired. If offense can't generate 5 first downs in the first half for the next 3 games, Daboll is gone. That's sad, too. 5 first downs in the ENTIRE HALF?? HAHA lol oh man. 5 first downs in a quarter is too much for them.

Team looks soft on defense and hasn’t been good since Schwartz left. Flacco had all day to throw back there while Peterman was harassed all day behind a poor line and lackluster WR play. Not sure why they have Zay on the outside he belongs in the slot. I am hoping Foster or Ray Ray develop quick enough to make a contribution as we look so slow on offense.

40 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Still have a huge problem with McBeane not resigning EJ Gaines considering how little he went for.  Too much of an ego to think you can throw anybody in his scheme and they'll be successful?  

Dude is already hurt can’t blame the FO for that. Can blame them for the guys they signed to replace him with.

We have zero edge rushers. Zone schemes need edge rushers. We still have Hughes who had one good year while teams tried to account for Mario and Dareus on the other side. He's done nothing since. And that's our #1 guy. Talent evaluation has been a serious problem for this front office. They are so worried about character that they forget you need actual talent to win football games.

1 hour ago, Fadingpain said:

I would say our #1 problem, and by quite a bit right now, is that we don't have a QB.

Me might get one down the line with Allen, but for now, we don't have one.

I’d love to see Pat Maholmes play with this OL and WR unit.  Our WRs are BAD And our OL is worse.  90% of the starting QBs in the league would be bad with this supporting cast.  Allen might not be good just yet, but I don’t see how he like ever be good playing with a bunch of backups.

Hughes got some pressure today.  He played well.  Lorax and Lawson and PED Murphy offered nothing.  KW and Harrison provided no inside rush.  Star is awful.  Modern NFL favors dropping 7 or 8 in coverage and hope the rush gets there.  That isn't going to work with these guys.  Mack or Miller or Suggs can disrupt an entire play by themselves.  That is why they should have traded for Mack and now why they will go OLB/DE in first round next year.  

That said, to win this year, they need to bring 5 or 6 guys.  Hope Edmunds' speed allows him to cover ground over the middle.  

I thought Kyle and Harrison Phillips were ok. Edmunds made some plays as did Milano and Alexander. Everyone else was a complete non-factor. Zero rush from the ends. Shaq Lawson is right off for me. Can't believe we wasted a FRP on him. Flacco had all day to pick us apart. Run D was ok all things considered. 

edit: for those of you killing Star (and I hated that contract immediately) we should be grading him on the run D. That's his main job. We gave up 117 on the ground today (and three TDs - ouch!!) but it took them 34 rushes to do it. It wasn't terrible. 

As bad as it looked at times I don't think our D was anywhere near as bad as the 47 we allowed. There were signs of competence on that side, but when you let a team go 6-6 in the red zone the score board isn't going to look pretty. We were so good defending down there last year I have to think McD gets that figured out.

Edited by VW82

2 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Yeah, total agree: Star has been a major bust. Is it too late to get Darius back?

I didn't see him play today but Mr. Big Stuff had 5 tackles.

He was a huge disappointment for the money but he's one of those dudes who are simply too powerful to be dominated at the LOS.

Sometimes you gotta' realize the money is spent and live with what you are getting for it and hope for the best.

Aside from the ultra-spirited defensive effort in Jax and a successful game against a KC team in a malaise(they subsequently lost to the Jets the following week) this defense has hovered between bad and atrocious since he was traded.

1 hour ago, VW82 said:

I thought Kyle and Harrison Phillips were ok. Edmunds made some plays as did Milano and Alexander. Everyone else was a complete non-factor. Zero rush from the ends. Shaq Lawson is right off for me. Can't believe we wasted a FRP on him. Flacco had all day to pick us apart. Run D was ok all things considered. 

edit: for those of you killing Star (and I hated that contract immediately) we should be grading him on the run D. That's his main job. We gave up 117 on the ground today (and three TDs - ouch!!) but it took them 34 rushes to do it. It wasn't terrible. 

As bad as it looked at times I don't think our D was anywhere near as bad as the 47 we allowed. There were signs of competence on that side, but when you let a team go 6-6 in the red zone the score board isn't going to look pretty. We were so good defending down there last year I have to think McD gets that figured out.

True, but the Ravens are not a strong running team.  They want to upgrade the RB position, but did not have the money this past off season due to Flacco's contract.

It could have been worse (if even possible) if the Ravens had a better run game.  Still Balt averaged 5 yard per carry, which seems decent for them.  So, not sure if Star is having an impact on run defense, a few more games should be telling.

21 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

True, but the Ravens are not a strong running team.  They want to upgrade the RB position, but did not have the money this past off season due to Flacco's contract.

It could have been worse (if even possible) if the Ravens had a better run game.  Still Balt averaged 5 yard per carry, which seems decent for them.  So, not sure if Star is having an impact on run defense, a few more games should be telling.

No, they did not average five yards per carry. They averaged 3.4 and if you take away Lamar Jackson's scrambles they only rushed for 78 yards on 27 carries, so 2.88 ypc. Most teams don't have Jackson (who looks like Michael Vick running around out there) bumping their rush numbers for the better part of a half. Again, the rush D wasn't that bad (except at the goal line). The pass D on the other hand...

Edited by VW82