Peterman pros and cons...

ChicagoRic

He acknowledges wide receivers and he is decisive.

I don't anticipate yelling, "throw the !@#$ing ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 20 times/game anymore, like I have the past three years.

I agree NP acknowledges WR's but he seems to NOT acknowledge the DB squatting on the route either...

Your yelling each game may go from, " throw the (expletive) ball 20 times" to "DON"T throw that (expletive) ball/pass NP"  20 times a game.

PETERMAN.jpg

HILARIOUS !!!!

Edited by pimp on da' net

the 5 interceptions didnt bother me...the thing that bothered me was the lack of anything that resembled talented QBing. and he looked like a mutt at the end of the Jax playoff game. havent seen him this yr--so hopefully a miracle happened and he grew some talent.

I’m no qb guru, but last year to this preseason he has the look of a totally different qb in my opinion. He’s decisive and gets the ball out, knows where it’s going. 

I think probably the best part is he’s in and out of the huddle super fast. Plenty of time to get to the line and get a read of the defense and make adjustments. Can’t say that translates to regular season yet but he did have a real command of the offense in preseason 

If he had Fitzy's arm, which is weak, he could be Fitz. But it's weaker than Fitz. That's his problem. Fitz could wind up and get it there sometimes. Nate unfortunately can't. 

It sucks because if he did have slightly better arm strength he could be pretty good. 

His arm looked a lot better this preseason, still not josh Allen and still is a problem on throws to the sidelines, but I think it has improved quite a bit over the last year.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m no qb guru, but last year to this preseason he has the look of a totally different qb in my opinion. He’s decisive and gets the ball out, knows where it’s going. 

I think probably the best part is he’s in and out of the huddle super fast. Plenty of time to get to the line and get a read of the defense and make adjustments. Can’t say that translates to regular season yet but he did have a real command of the offense in preseason 

He always did that. The problem is he telegraphs it, he's a one read guy for the most part, and doesn't have the zip to get it there fast enough against starting defensive when the game is played at full speed. And doesn't handle the rush well. 

I really like Peterman. 

Unlike many of you I like the WGR crew. But Schoop made a comment last year on Peterman that I found soooo stupid. I tweeted him that I like Peterman because I think he's a Chad Pennington type and while he'll probably always be a backup, I think he'll have a long career as a backup, like a Colt McCoy type. Schoop said if that's all you predict for a players future then what's the point in drafting him? I was blown away by that logic. I mean, to me backup QB is a position on the team, and you want the best one you can get. And yes, I believe in drafting and developing QB's even if you think the most you can get out of them is backup material. 

Especially when its a late round pick most players don't work out very well.  If NFL agreed with Schoop then the draft could largely be cut down to about 3 to 4 rounds.

He always did that. The problem is he telegraphs it, he's a one read guy for the most part, and doesn't have the zip to get it there fast enough against starting defensive when the game is played at full speed. And doesn't handle the rush well. 

Well to be fair, he hasn’t played a regular season game this year, in a new offense Daboll brought over. Nobody is saying he’s the next TB12 or anything here. Gotta think the coaches know/see what you’re talking about and have a plan. 

Just riffing here based of off watching as many snaps as possible on Youtube. 

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Quick in and out of the huddle. 

Cons:

Arm could be better. Those out patterns. 

Looks like a different player when under pressure.  Makes panic/ill advised throws where he should maybe take the sack. 

Not a threat to run. 

Looks awkward when taking a hit.   I am concerned about injury.  

Peterman CAN succeed in the NFL, but will need a game plan that works to his strengths and hides his flaws.  He is a "system" QB, and does well when he sticks with the plan but flounders when things break down.  Sincerely hoping the Oline can get its "stuff" together.  

My prediction:  It will be injury, not incompetence, that will bring about a change in QB.   I believe in Daboll as an OC and he will get production out of Peterman.  

Thoughts?

I predict you will be correct, and I fear that it may be sooner than later. I’d be looking for a QB3 for the practice squad. How’s THAT for some rosey optimism? 

Just riffing here based of off watching as many snaps as possible on Youtube. 

Pros:

Quick release. 

Nice touch. 

Good ball placement. 

Decisive. 

Quick in and out of the huddle. 

Cons:

Arm could be better. Those out patterns. 

Looks like a different player when under pressure.  Makes panic/ill advised throws where he should maybe take the sack. 

Not a threat to run. 

Looks awkward when taking a hit.   I am concerned about injury.  

Peterman CAN succeed in the NFL, but will need a game plan that works to his strengths and hides his flaws.  He is a "system" QB, and does well when he sticks with the plan but flounders when things break down.  Sincerely hoping the Oline can get its "stuff" together.  

My prediction:  It will be injury, not incompetence, that will bring about a change in QB.   I believe in Daboll as an OC and he will get production out of Peterman.  

Thoughts?

It's his second year. We don't yet know what he is, and while some of your negatives are very reasonable, others are only based on his behavior as a rookie, and he has improved a lot since then. Every QB looks different under pressure, which is why most of the emphasis on stopping the passing game comes down to pressuring the QB. Whether Peterman will look worse than any other QB under pressure will be something we'll see over the course of his career.

I don't expect an injury, though it's certainly possible. My guess is that the OL improves over the course of the year as they gel, though I don't expect them ever to be good this year.

Well to be fair, he hasn’t played a regular season game this year, in a new offense Daboll brought over. Nobody is saying he’s the next TB12 or anything here. Gotta think the coaches know/see what you’re talking about and have a plan. 

They didn't last year. The coach let the OC talk him into playing Nate because of what he saw in preseason and practice and then it was a disaster because of the exact reasons he was a fifth round pick.

Then they did little to add weapons or protection for the offense.  He succeeded in preseason and training camp becaus guys like that CAN excel in that situation with rubber bullets and three-quarters speed. 

• Like (+1) 1

there is something to be said about getting out of the huddle quickly. cant stand those lazy QBs who saunter up to the line.They remind me of Donovan McNabb going into hypnotic mode in that superbowl.

They didn't last year. The coach let the OC talk him into playing Nate because of what he saw in preseason and practice and then it was a disaster because of the exact reasons he was a fifth round pick.

Then they did little to add weapons or protection for the offense.  He succeeded in preseason and training camp becaus guys like that CAN excel in that situation with rubber bullets and three-quarters speed. 

Well it sounds like your mind is made up.

so enjoy the season.

Rather he’s good or bad this year just not in my DNA to root against bills players and search for all the negatives and predict the future.