Trump Wants To Regulate Google

16 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Not Google.... 

DnvPKIIUcAEopmC.jpg:large

Wow.  How could anyone possibly interpret what Woods said as offensive?  There is a lot of low hanging fruit there to be had if he wanted to offend.  He basically said "people should vote".

How many votes are the Republicans losing because these 3 guys aren't showing up?

Bills related comment:. These guys all look like Glove Wearing Mary's from Los Gatos and they are checking down their right to vote.  Coincidence?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Wow.  How could anyone possibly interpret what Woods said as offensive?  There is a lot of low hanging fruit there to be had if he wanted to offend.  He basically said "people should vote".

How many votes are the Republicans losing because these 3 guys aren't showing up?

Bills related comment:. These guys all look like Glove Wearing Mary's from Los Gatos and they are checking down their right to vote.  Coincidence?

Twitter's explanation is even better than it was offensive.  They claim that the tweet may influence a political campaign.

Can't make the stuff up

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GG said:

Twitter's explanation is even better than it was offensive.  They claim that the tweet may influence a political campaign.

Can't make the stuff up

But...uh....it....uh....well...uh....it......but.......it was a response to something designed to do exactly that.  

Did is they comment on the Trent Edwards lookalikes or ask Trent for his thoughts?

1 hour ago, GG said:

Can't make the stuff up

Well it may NOW, since Twitter called everyone's attention to it.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

A senior software engineer at Google with responsibility for a key feature of Google’s search engine labeled Tennessee Senate candidate Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) a “violent thug” and a “terrorist,” who Google shouldn’t “negotiate” with, according to internal emails obtained by Breitbart News. The employee also defended the censorship of her campaign ads on social media.

LEAKED EMAILS: Senior Google Search Engineer Advocates for Censorship of ‘Terrorist’ Marsha Blackburn

Despite leaked video footage showing top executives declaring their intention to ensure that the rise of Trump and the populist movement is just a “blip” in history, Google has repeatedly denied that the political bias of its employees filter into its products.

But the 85-page briefing, titled “The Good Censor,” admits that Google and other tech platforms now “control the majority of online conversations” and have undertaken a “shift towards censorship” in response to unwelcome political events around the world.

‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility’

here is the link to the doc: The Good Censor

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Sixty-five percent of Google News links point to left-leaning news sources. A report from AllSides.com shows that 20 percent point to centrist news sources and another 16 percent to sources on the political right.

I was trying to look for stories on Holder ignoring a Congressional subpoena earlier, and Google wouldn't return a single story on it.  I had to use DuckDuckGo to find anything.

It's really gotten shockingly bad.

• Like (+1) 3

The tech industry has gotten a huge pass from federal regulations forever. 

Can you you imagine if people were allowed to sue Microsoft for their buggy software? 

They’re about out the least regulated industry and one of the most important to our standard of living. But they publish a ***** OS or software programs and there’s no pushback from regulators.

Edited by Nanker

On 10/16/2018 at 5:29 PM, Deranged Rhino said:

This is one interesting argument for turning the internet in to a utility. It would mean that the government can attack those types of companies for using a government regulated mode of tech to censor or restrict freedom.  It's a terrible idea.  Let Twitter, Facebook, et al do whatever they want. It's their right.

On 10/19/2018 at 8:55 PM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Sixty-five percent of Google News links point to left-leaning news sources. A report from AllSides.com shows that 20 percent point to centrist news sources and another 16 percent to sources on the political right.

I use News.Google at work but mostly just to see headlines of nonsense and local news + tech and other stuff.

It's bias has been blown up recently.  I still prefer it over Drudge and most others.

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

This is one interesting argument for turning the internet in to a utility. It would mean that the government can attack those types of companies for using a government regulated mode of tech to censor or restrict freedom.  It's a terrible idea.  Let Twitter, Facebook, et al do whatever they want. It's their right.

I have no problem with this, so long as they give up the legal protections they so often hide behind.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Chimp said:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/10/31/marsha-blackburn-ad-censored-google-over-footage-left-wing-protesters

It's time to regulate the ***** out of them.  They are a modern day utility for one, two they are ***** with elections.  Or fine the hell out of them, bigly

Should we regulate the ***** out of newspapers, web outlets, or TV news for their biased tendencies?  Should we fine them as well?

Do you really want to open the Pandora's box of handing control of the internet to the feds?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Azalin said:

Should we regulate the ***** out of newspapers, web outlets, or TV news for their biased tendencies?  Should we fine them as well?

Do you really want to open the Pandora's box of handing control of the internet to the feds?

If the print or televised media were biasing pricing of advertising towards one side (say, charging Republicans twice as much as Democrats for a 30-second TV spot), then you could make a compelling argument for it.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

If the print or televised media were biasing pricing of advertising towards one side (say, charging Republicans twice as much as Democrats for a 30-second TV spot), then you could make a compelling argument for it.

I see your point but I'd have to know more about the specifics before I could say how I'd feel. I would rather err on the side of allowing such companies to do as they see fit than allow the government that kind of regulatory control.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Azalin said:

I see your point but I'd have to know more about the specifics before I could say how I'd feel. I would rather err on the side of allowing such companies to do as they see fit than allow the government that kind of regulatory control.

Agreed.

But I'd also add that there's already a measure of regulatory oversight over campaign ads.  And I'd add that from any reasonable ethical standpoint, it's total ***** that the opposition can harass a candidate, and that harassment becomes an excuse for refusing that candidate's advertising.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Azalin said:

Should we regulate the ***** out of newspapers, web outlets, or TV news for their biased tendencies?

Yes.

We should. It's long over-due. They've been in the pocket of the left for as long as I've been alive.

Edited by joesixpack

2 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Yes.

We should. It's long over-due. They've been in the pocket of the left for as long as I've been alive.

I've seen you arguing for this before, and I doubt I have any new perspective to offer that might change your mind, except maybe that there are so many in the federal government with whom the biased media are in lockstep with that I wouldn't ever trust the feds to take a truly non-biased position in regulating internet content.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Yes.

"Being in the pocket of the left" is not sufficient reason to regulate them.

Radio has "long been in the pocket of the right".  I don't hear your cries to regulate them.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

Google engineers expected to walk off the job Thursday morning

SAN FRANCISCO -

Hundreds of Google engineers and other workers are expected to walk off the job Thursday morning to protest the internet company's lenient treatment of executives accused of sexual misconduct.

Well, crap. Who is going to be weeding out conservative websites from google searches?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Foxx said:

Google engineers expected to walk off the job Thursday morning

SAN FRANCISCO -

Hundreds of Google engineers and other workers are expected to walk off the job Thursday morning to protest the internet company's lenient treatment of executives accused of sexual misconduct.

They're not protesting "lenient treatment."  They're protesting contract law:wallbash:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm assuming the "shocking" part is that the WSJ reported it. 

Report: Facebook's Zuckerberg Pushed A Top Executive To Publicly Disavow Support For Trump, Then Fired Him

In one of the most shocking stories to get little media coverage this year, The Wall Street Journal reported ten days ago that Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg pressured a top executive at his company to apologize for his support of President Trump in the 2016 election, and issue a letter just before that election explaining that he had switched his support to libertarian Gary Johnson.