%$#& The Swamp, Let's Drain PPP

Azalin

Isn't freedom of expression wonderful? We can engage in conversation about any topic we want, with whomever we want, at any time we want. The possibilities are limitless - the only boundaries being our intellect and imagination. We're free to express ourselves, to exchange ideas, and bring information, both factual and hypothetical into the conversation. We have at our disposal the ability to learn from, debate, or disagree with each other. Many of us have been here for years, some for decades. Despite frequent disagreements, we've always maintained a degree of civility, at least in the greater sense. Speaking for myself, I have learned a great deal from many people here. I have benefited from the company and the exchange of ideas.

That being said -

We've very obviously been experiencing a flood of trolls, idiots, and children lately, who do absolutely nothing (and when I say absolutely nothing I mean not a #$@damned $^%#ing thing) to add to the conversation. You know who you are, and I'm sure you're just having a ball trolling people here, giggling like teenage girls when you irritate some random "trumptard" with your idiocy du jour. It's not fair to say that it's all people from BBMB, because it's not just them. We've added some pretty cool folks from that site, and PPP (indeed TBD in general) has benefited from having them.

This post is not a plea to those that are trying to screw up the board - you can all go &%$# yourselves for all I care. This is a plea to those of you who are a part of the community here, no matter party affiliation or whatever political philosophy you believe in. Let's just ignore these people. They will eventually leave us alone, just like how adults wait for their children to stop crying before enjoying themselves. They can't respond to you if you don't say anything to them. I know it can be extremely tempting - the low hanging fruit makes a very easy target, but no points are scored for shooting fish in a barrel.

Edited by Azalin
  • Like (+1) 6

Appreciating the idea of making this a better board. I would excuse no one, including me, from needing to make that effort. And I would say it's a mistake to blame new people for it. This place hasn't changed much except that it's grown in population. 

Trolling, name-calling, boys-club all create an atmosphere that detracts from this forum being what it could be, which is a place to debate ideas. I've sent a note to every person who launches a personal attack to talk to me off line so we act like grown ups and move that kind of middle school BS off the board. It hasn't worked, but it speaks to what people want this board to be: A place where name calling in public is tolerated and encouraged. One person said that I need to grow up and that's what a message board is. Of course he's right, but it doesn't have to be.

For example, I disagree with DR/TYTT and LaDexter's conspiracy take, BUT I like that they post about it. So I'm happy to punch at it. I welcome that. 

But when our dialog here falls to a string of name calling and one-upping on the name-calling, it feels very middle school. 

The trolling is a waste of space but take a look at how many responses Tiberius gets and you see that it works. Guys posting here for decades respond to him every time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

For example, I disagree with DR/TYTT and LaDexter's conspiracy take, BUT I like that they post about it. So I'm happy to punch at it. I welcome that. 

Dear Commie,

We see what you did there.  Try harder.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Azalin said:

Isn't freedom of expression wonderful? We can engage in conversation about any topic we want, with whomever we want, at any time we want. The possibilities are limitless - the only boundaries being our intellect and imagination. We're free to express ourselves, to exchange ideas, and bring information, both factual and hypothetical into the conversation. We have at our disposal the ability to learn from, debate, or disagree with each other. Many of us have been here for years, some for decades. Despite frequent disagreements, we've always maintained a degree of civility, at least in the greater sense. Speaking for myself, I have learned a great deal from many people here. I have benefited from the company and the exchange of ideas.

That being said -

We've very obviously been experiencing a flood of trolls, idiots, and children lately, who do absolutely nothing (and when I say absolutely nothing I mean not a #$@damned $^%#ing thing) to add to the conversation. You know who you are, and I'm sure you're just having a ball trolling people here, giggling like teenage girls when you irritate some random "trumptard" with your idiocy du jour. It's not fair to say that it's all people from BBMB, because it's not just them. We've added some pretty cool folks from that site, and PPP (indeed TBD in general) has benefited from having them.

This post is not a plea to those that are trying to screw up the board - you can all go &%$# themselves for all I care. This is a plea to those of you who are a part of the community here, no matter party affiliation or whatever political philosophy you believe in. Let's just ignore these people. They will eventually leave us alone, just like how adults wait for their children to stop crying before enjoying themselves. They can't respond to you if you don't say anything to them. I know it can be extremely tempting - the low hanging fruit makes a very easy target, but no points are scored for shooting fish in a barrel.

Current state of PPP

Tim-Hortons-Poop-Thrower-2.gif

I have the four main trolls on block. If people would just stop engaging them, things would clean-up fast. The temptation to quote and engage said trolls is too tempting otherwise - they spout such ridiculous s#@!!

I wish people would do more "this is my position, and here are the documents to back up X" rather than "yo mama".  I realize that as things move toward a conclusion the next month to six-weeks and documents are released unredacted, the deep state paid-for (by their handlers and donors) flying monkeys will be unleashed with a narrative to counter the documents that will be coming out shortly - and it will get even worse here - and more people will need to be blocked.  But it is what it is.

• Like (+1) 3

31 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I have the four main trolls on block. If people would just stop engaging them, things would clean-up fast. The temptation to quote and engage said trolls is too tempting otherwise - they spout such ridiculous s#@!!

I wish people would do more "this is my position, and here are the documents to back up X" rather than "yo mama".  I realize that as things move toward a conclusion the next month to six-weeks and documents are released unredacted, the deep state paid-for (by their handlers and donors) flying monkeys will be unleashed with a narrative to counter the documents that will be coming out shortly - and it will get even worse here - and more people will need to be blocked.  But it is what it is.

This entire thread is both comical and tragic...when someone disagrees with you typical posters (BTW...WTF do you people do all day that allows you to post all day all the time?)...The standard reaction is to call them stupid or a troll or they watch CNN or they are a lib....The reason - speaking for myself - I have gotten so "troll like" is you guys are not interested in a debate...you are interested in coming here because it is a community of like minded people and you find comfort here. When a dissenter to your beliefs shows up...you circle and - in your minds - tear them down - and then congratulate each other. People with contrary views to the norm on this board show up - get ganged up on  - realize what this board is all about - and leave. 

No idea what Tiberius does...

What you guys share is a belief...almost a religious mindset...not backed up by data, quantitative analysis or facts...but by a belief and faith...and - similar to a religion...can't argue with that...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, baskin said:

This entire thread is both comical and tragic...when someone disagrees with you typical posters (BTW...WTF do you people do all day that allows you to post all day all the time?)...The standard reaction is to call them stupid or a troll or they watch CNN or they are a lib....The reason - speaking for myself - I have gotten so "troll like" is you guys are not interested in a debate...you are interested in coming here because it is a community of like minded people and you find comfort here. When a dissenter to your beliefs shows up...you circle and - in your minds - tear them down - and then congratulate each other. People with contrary views to the norm on this board show up - get ganged up on  - realize what this board is all about - and leave. 

What you guys share is a belief...almost a religious mindset...not backed up by data, quantitative analysis or facts...but by a belief and faith...and - similar to a religion...can't argue with that...

Lol 

yeah you really go out of your day to engage in a debate :lol:

I come here to read both sides, however I find it that there are very few on the left here that post anything with the facts to back it up. I am not saying it doesnt happen, but it seems to be infrequent. I like to read debates, but it bothers me when certain posters are so intellectually dishonest. I dont bother to respond to them because they dont care what you have to say.

I may not agree with everything Doc Brown or oldmanfan have to say, but I do believe they are not close minded individuals and are willing to listen to the other side. 

When I do post, I try to focus on the points being made rather than calling someone an idiot as all the name calling is just a distraction (minus the DC Tom's you're an idiot comments lol everyone is an idiot in his book : ) )

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Bray Wyatt said:

I come here to read both sides, however I find it that there are very few on the left here that post anything with the facts to back it up. I am not saying it doesnt happen, but it seems to be infrequent. I like to read debates, but it bothers me when certain posters are so intellectually dishonest. I dont bother to respond to them because they dont care what you have to say.

I may not agree with everything Doc Brown or oldmanfan have to say, but I do believe they are not close minded individuals and are willing to listen to the other side. 

When I do post, I try to focus on the points being made rather than calling someone an idiot as all the name calling is just a distraction (minus the DC Tom's you're an idiot comments lol everyone is an idiot in his book : ) )

I agree. Cheers to doc brown. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Don't make too much out of DC Tom. He has that covered and does enough of that himself.

39 minutes ago, baskin said:

This was going to be the last part of my post above. I removed it, and after reading your post, I clearly should have left it...

I really enjoyed the DOJ appoints thread this week. After Cohen and Manafort decisions this week, there was a lot of great discussions on both sides of the political aisle. I wish there were more of that.

Note: obviously you are not one I considered a troll and blocked ? Please do not make me re-evaluate that decision.

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

That was the Tim Horton's episode. ?

Mea culpa for sure. I had no idea that happened in Canada. That's why what goes on in Canada should stay in Canada.

21 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This was going to be the last part of my post above. I removed it, and after reading your post, I clearly should have left it...

I really enjoyed the DOJ appoints thread this week. After Cohen and Manafort decisions this week, there was a lot of great discussions on both sides of the political aisle. I wish there were more of that.

Note: obviously you are not one I considered a troll and blocked ? Please do not make me re-evaluate that decision.

Succumb to the urge. It's only a matter of time before you will feel compelled to. Bitchy Baskin came here a couple of years ago claiming to be a staunch conservative, while at the same time proclaiming to be an expert on just about everything.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Azalin said:

That being said -

This post is not a plea to those that are trying to screw up the board - you can all go &%$# yourselves for all I care. This is a plea to those of you who are a part of the community here, no matter party affiliation or whatever political philosophy you believe in. Let's just ignore these people. They will eventually leave us alone, just like how adults wait for their children to stop crying before enjoying themselves. They can't respond to you if you don't say anything to them. I know it can be extremely tempting - the low hanging fruit makes a very easy target, but no points are scored for shooting fish in a barrel.

When someone comes here and justifies ethnic cleansing in South Africa because of the history of Apartheid, then I know it's safe to ignore that person.

And I do a fairly good job of keeping ignored people on ignore. Take the bot for example. You'd think I'd miss his aggregation, but I really don't.

16 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

When someone comes here and justifies ethnic cleansing in South Africa because of the history of Apartheid, then I know it's safe to ignore that person.

And I do a fairly good job of keeping ignored people on ignore. Take the bot for example. You'd think I'd miss his aggregation, but I really don't.

That B-Man sure is a bot.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Azalin said:

That being said -

As an agent of the Mossad, I fully support this Zionist conspiracy to silence LaDexter and his Marshall Island trutherism.  

:lol:

Not a bot............

Just a "get off my lawn" old guy in WNY

I post conservative viewpoints for the benefit of the left here, who will never seek them out

With the likes of Gator, Baskin, 34, MarredTruth, and the others, it is obviously a losing battle, but I will still keep trying.

As far as the recent spate of lefties, I think it's great. I have never blocked anybody, but I do refuse to get in a direct back and forth with people who cannot see past their keyboard.

I'm Gator-free since November 2015.

15 minutes ago, B-Man said:

:lol:

Not a bot............

Just a "get off my lawn" old guy in WNY

I post conservative viewpoints for the benefit of the left here, who will never seek them out

With the likes of Gator, Baskin, 34, MarredTruth, and the others, it is obviously a losing battle, but I will still keep trying.

As far as the recent spate of lefties, I think it's great. I have never blocked anybody, but I do refuse to get in a direct back and forth with people who cannot see past their keyboard.

I'm Gator-free since November 2015.

If that's true you !@#$ed up and missed the one time back in November of 2017 that Gleeful Gator threw someshit against the wall and it stuck for awhile. It was someone else'sshit though.

8 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Appreciating the idea of making this a better board. I would excuse no one, including me, from needing to make that effort. And I would say it's a mistake to blame new people for it. This place hasn't changed much except that it's grown in population. 

Trolling, name-calling, boys-club all create an atmosphere that detracts from this forum being what it could be, which is a place to debate ideas. I've sent a note to every person who launches a personal attack to talk to me off line so we act like grown ups and move that kind of middle school BS off the board. It hasn't worked, but it speaks to what people want this board to be: A place where name calling in public is tolerated and encouraged. One person said that I need to grow up and that's what a message board is. Of course he's right, but it doesn't have to be.

But when our dialog here falls to a string of name calling and one-upping on the name-calling, it feels very middle school. 

The trolling is a waste of space but take a look at how many responses Tiberius gets and you see that it works. Guys posting here for decades respond to him every time. 

I could do without that.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

If that's true you !@#$ed up and missed the one time back in November of 2017 that Gleeful Gator threw someshit against the wall and it stuck for awhile. It was someone else'sshit though.

No, no I still read him and point out his ridiculous reasoning...............I simply do not ask him questions or respond directly.............he is not smart enough for that

What message boards need is the ability of the ignore feature to include threads.

If every thread started by someone I ignore were not visible on my side, message boards would be an awesome place to discuss stuff.

Alas, it's polluted by people who are simply out to trash the place while they sit in their cubicle waiting for their breaks at 10, 12 and 3. It's unfortunate, but at least they're not on MY payroll, so I have that going for me. Which is nice.

4 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

What message boards need is the ability of the ignore feature to include threads.

If every thread started by someone I ignore were not visible on my side, message boards would be an awesome place to discuss stuff.

Alas, it's polluted by people who are simply out to trash the place while they sit in their cubicle waiting for their breaks at 10, 12 and 3. It's unfortunate, but at least they're not on MY payroll, so I have that going for me. Which is nice.

Their whole aim in life is to get ahead by getting the minimum wage increased. Such ambition.

8 hours ago, Joe Miner said:

Current state of PPP

Tim-Hortons-Poop-Thrower-2.gif

What can I say?

When I gotta go, I gotta go. I am just offended they blurred by prized duke before, during, and after I hurled it. 

Also, I am not quite sure who you are talking about, but I am pretty sure I oppose it. Voices of dissent are important. Debate is important. It only streghnthens one's case if they at least practice in some capacity addressing those voices of dissent. It makes us better and our arguments stronger when we sometimes surround ourselves with voices of dissent. In other words, steel sharpens steel. And, it is worth it, even if some "debates" turn into more goofy sword throwing...

tumblr_lqa9xtR2MJ1qzs6oc.gif

Edited by Paulus

Exhibit A.

Lots of posters in this thread could do better. Maybe the time to call McCain a traitor, and call the people saying he's a traitor pieces of garbage, is not in the thread commemorating his impending death. We had every day before today to discuss McCain. And we will have many days to come. But maybe for a few weeks, we can show we're not the Westboro Baptist Church.