National Josh Allen buzz after 1 preseason half

13 minutes ago, vincec said:

I doubt that’s the case actually. If the McCarron and Peterman struggle, the outcry from fans and media to see Allen will have an impact on the coaching staff, believe me.

Negative.  The days of Russ Brandon urging personnel moves to sell tickets are gone.  The Pegulas trust the process.

5 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

I don't know, this idea of "watching and learning" just seems bogus to me.

Coaches claim it's beneficial, but it really seems like a cover-up because they still want to start a veteran (like Farve), or the rookie QB they drafted highly is a potential bust (like EJ), or they don't have the guts to trust the guy they highly drafted or they don't know how to coach a young QB (Jeff Fisher).

Seriously, what is Allen going to learn "watching" a football game?  On any given Sunday, 60,000 people watch a live football game.  Are they better QBs for watching a live game?

Young, talented players need reps to learn.  They need to work on the field with the team's best players.  During the season, the starting QB gets all the reps in practice.  The backup QB is the QB for the scout team.  And a 3rd string guy is throwing the ball to the WRs in sweats coming off of IR.

At what other position is "watching and learning" acceptable for a highly drafted rookie?  The Bills are starting a 20 year old rookie at MLB this year.  If the coaches said, we're going to let him "watch and learn" this year, fans would rightly have this guy pegged as a bust.

In the salary cap era, team's need their first and second round players to contribute to win.  The Chiefs sat their first round QB to let him "watch and learn," but you have to wonder if their team could have gone further in the playoffs with an additional first round talent on the o-line, or in the secondary, or at linebacker.

And after a year of "watching and learning" how surprised will you be if Mahomes still looks like a rookie this year?  Not very is my guess.

I firmly believe that McDermott will start the QB that gives the team the best chance to win this year.  But if it's not Allen, you have to wonder how much better the team would have been with 2 extra 2nd rounders on the roster.  That's the price for Allen's supposed education.

Allen will start this year.  I think its more about making sure the new O-line is ready.  

18 minutes ago, vincec said:

I doubt that’s the case actually. If the McCarron and Peterman struggle, the outcry from fans and media to see Allen will have an impact on the coaching staff, believe me.

I don’t believe that for a second with this group. Rex? Yeah, probably..... This FO has both brains and spines. 

After the draft:  He's a long term project that's going to have his ups and down with patience being the key in his development.

After 1st preseason game:  He needs to start with the 1's despite the two quarterbacks above him on the depth chart playing well.  

5 hours ago, yungmack said:

What do you mean "we"? Other than showing he has a Jeff George arm and was inaccurate with it, I didn't see anything to change my opinion that McBeane made a huge mistake paying what they did for this kid. If winning the SB is the goal, the record shows that none of the dominant QBs - Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, Aikman, Brady - were big arms. But it's early, and I'm hoping against hope he turns out to be "The One."

E L W A Y

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Don't play him until we're forced to. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I think we’re on the same page, but I’d phrase it “Don’t play him before he’s ready”. I think that’s the way the staff sees it too, so that’s comforting. Be cautious and give him time for things to slow down. I would like to see him some with the 1’s and 2’s as it was hard to tell considering the talent (or lack thereof) surrounding him. 

The whole offseason I have said the same thing but like so many others it sure will be exciting when he gets on the field.

What do you guys think about this?  Let's say it's 1/3 or more way thru the season and AJM (for sake of argument) is the starter.

AJ is having a tough game and the Bills are down 13 to start the 4th.  Would you be open to have JA come in and fling the ball around

trying for a comeback?  If the attitude was "what do we got to lose" by McDermott and Daboll and no pressure on JA if he comes up short.

What could be the downside?  JA gets some "end of game" snaps.  Daboll could have specific plays for this scenario.

It's one way to get JA on the field without starter pressure.  Of course the other way is JA comes in when the Bills are up 28.  LOL.

It's a bit like the old Bills with Kemp and Lamonica.  Of course with this time Allen (Lamonica) being the future.

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

E L W A Y

What do you think of the above Shaw?  You remember those days.

His two completions to Ray Ray McCloud were his most impressive passes of the night. The deep crosser needed anticipation and hit McCloud in stride, so he could gain a couple more yards. 

Overall, I liked his composure, his mechanics stayed the same in the face of pressure (for the most part), he showed subtle moves within the pocket  when the protection broke down (see video, McDermott gets beat and he avoids pressure with no overreaction) 

Maybe he's not ready yet, but it would be nice to see him playing with the second unit. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, vincec said:

Nah, they don’t factor that into any decisions. If Allen sees the field sooner than later, it will be due to McCarron/ Peterman showing they are unable to win football games. That’s it. The only thing that matters is winning games. If they are able to , then Allen is redshirted for 2018. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The whole offseason I have said the same thing but like so many others it sure will be exciting when he gets on the field.

What do you guys think about this?  Let's say it's 1/3 or more way thru the season and AJM (for sake of argument) is the starter.

AJ is having a tough game and the Bills are down 13 to start the 4th.  Would you be open to have JA come in and fling the ball around

trying for a comeback?  If the attitude was "what do we got to lose" by McDermott and Daboll and no pressure on JA if he comes up short.

What could be the downside?  JA gets some "end of game" snaps.  Daboll could have specific plays for this scenario.

It's one way to get JA on the field without starter pressure.  Of course the other way is JA comes in when the Bills are up 28.  LOL.

It's a bit like the old Bills with Kemp and Lamonica.  Of course with this time Allen (Lamonica) being the future.

I wish I knew, it’s just so hard to say this early. But I DO like the idea of being up 28! 

56 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

I don't know, this idea of "watching and learning" just seems bogus to me.

Coaches claim it's beneficial, but it really seems like a cover-up because they still want to start a veteran (like Farve), or the rookie QB they drafted highly is a potential bust (like EJ), or they don't have the guts to trust the guy they highly drafted or they don't know how to coach a young QB (Jeff Fisher).

Seriously, what is Allen going to learn "watching" a football game?  On any given Sunday, 60,000 people watch a live football game.  Are they better QBs for watching a live game?

Young, talented players need reps to learn.  They need to work on the field with the team's best players.  During the season, the starting QB gets all the reps in practice.  The backup QB is the QB for the scout team.  And a 3rd string guy is throwing the ball to the WRs in sweats coming off of IR.

At what other position is "watching and learning" acceptable for a highly drafted rookie?  The Bills are starting a 20 year old rookie at MLB this year.  If the coaches said, we're going to let him "watch and learn" this year, fans would rightly have this guy pegged as a bust.

In the salary cap era, team's need their first and second round players to contribute to win.  The Chiefs sat their first round QB to let him "watch and learn," but you have to wonder if their team could have gone further in the playoffs with an additional first round talent on the o-line, or in the secondary, or at linebacker.

And after a year of "watching and learning" how surprised will you be if Mahomes still looks like a rookie this year?  Not very is my guess.

I firmly believe that McDermott will start the QB that gives the team the best chance to win this year.  But if it's not Allen, you have to wonder how much better the team would have been with 2 extra 2nd rounders on the roster.  That's the price for Allen's supposed education.

QB is the toughest position in sports. The mental aspect of the NFL game is on a different level than NCAA , certainly from Wyoming. Many QB gurus say any college QB will benefit greatly from sitting a year. It doesn’t apply to most other positions , though. Allen didn’t look like a deer in the headlights in his first preseason game. That’s a good sign. He’d still be better off not starting until about mid season at least. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bad Things said:

instead of punting they should just have Josh Allen go out on 4th down and throw a 78 yd intereception every time

— PFTCommenter (@PFTCommenter) August 10, 2018

?  I never actually thought of something like this before.  Do any of you know if teams have done something like this in the past?  Kinda like a Hail Mary play I suppose.

... the defenders would just bat the ball down buddy.

yikes...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

That, 4th down, no punting but 78 yard interception comment thing is dumb.  The opposing player would just drop it on 4th down.  BUT, they still would have to cover, what if receiver catches it?  Pass interference, etc...

Leodis might be the exception. And he’d do it AGAIN! You’re not the boss (or brain) of him. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

That was a different era.  Playing in mop-up time, ahead or behind, doesn't do much for a qb's development. Real growth comes from preparing, playing, film study, preparing, playing. 

45 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That was a different era.  Playing in mop-up time, ahead or behind, doesn't do much for a qb's development. Real growth comes from preparing, playing, film study, preparing, playing. 

Playing doesn’t do much for a player’s development?

gimme a break