True or Apocryphal: Buffalo City Hall Suicide Incident

Fadingpain

I have heard this story over the years from a few different people.  I'm curious if anyone else has heard it and can elaborate on details or definitively confirm the story's authenticity. 

These are the details as I remember them and/or have heard them.

Years ago (perhaps in the early 1970s but the exact dating is fuzzy) a person allegedly committed suicide by jumping off the roof or perhaps out of an upper window of Buffalo City Hall.  This was on the central facade facing Niagara Square.

According to the story, the person unintentionally landed on the flag pole that stands on the "roof" of the building over the front entrance foyer area, and became impaled.

Apparently the body was there for some time as it was difficult to remove.

Who has heard this?  Know any further details?  True or myth?

You can faintly see the flag pole in question (US flag) toward the bottom of the building in this photo, above the columns, just to the left of the larger US flag which stands on ground level across Delaware Ave. 

Buffalo_City_Hall,_Buffalo,_NY_-_IMG_368

It was the late 70/s early 80s. As stated in the article linked, the safety panels were in place then. Go up to the observation deck and se them. It is impossible to lift a body over them. He committed suicide.

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

The Convention and Visitors Bureau were estatic over the spike in tourism. The 'Talking Proud' campaign launched.

It was the first time that a bearded vulture appeared in Buffalo.

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

https://goo.gl/9xiuK7

Some believe he was murdered...

I deliberately avoided searching this online b/c I thought it would be more fun to exchange versions of the story and see what people thought about it.  I thought lots of posters here would have heard something about the story.

But that photograph is unbelievable.  I didn't know that existed.

img_5113.png

Edited by Fadingpain

My freinds father worked at the Board of Education and his office faced the square (which is round), and he claimed to have seen the aftermath from his window. It was 1977 or so    and the guy was initially alive when he landed. My understanding is they had to cut the pole and cart him away. I remember someone had a picture of the guy as they were working 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I deliberately avoided searching this online b/c I thought it would be more fun to exchange versions of the story and see what people thought about it.  I thought lots of posters here would have heard something about the story.

But that photograph is unbelievable.  I didn't know that existed.

img_5113.png

Holy Phu...!  I think I just came down with PTSD...

That's a hell of a shot and 1 in 10,000 jump to stick that LZ!

10 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I have heard this story over the years from a few different people.  I'm curious if anyone else has heard it and can elaborate on details or definitively confirm the story's authenticity. 

These are the details as I remember them and/or have heard them.

Years ago (perhaps in the early 1970s but the exact dating is fuzzy) a person allegedly committed suicide by jumping off the roof or perhaps out of an upper window of Buffalo City Hall.  This was on the central facade facing Niagara Square.

According to the story, the person unintentionally landed on the flag pole that stands on the "roof" of the building over the front entrance foyer area, and became impaled.

Apparently the body was there for some time as it was difficult to remove.

Who has heard this?  Know any further details?  True or myth?

You can faintly see the flag pole in question (US flag) toward the bottom of the building in this photo, above the columns, just to the left of the larger US flag which stands on ground level across Delaware Ave. 

Buffalo_City_Hall,_Buffalo,_NY_-_IMG_368

It's a 100% true.

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

He was left there for six months

No he wasn't.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Is BFLo City Hall the tallest east of the MS or is that not true?

Some of those windows have AC units.  LoL... What a dump.

Buffalo City Hall is one of the finest examples of art deco architecture you will find in the world.

Architectural students study it from all over.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Buffalo City Hall is one of the finest examples of art deco architecture you will find in the world.

Architectural students study it from all over.

tons of great work in the city, i enjoyed it with hours to kill for road trips

i thought it was a caller to Coach Chuck Dickerson who told Coach he couldn't take the Bills meekly losing any more and was going to jump off the Peace Bridge

Coach talked him out of it, saying that the players didn't care so why should he, but the caller chose this option instead.

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Just wish they could 86 the window units...  Who needs AC in BFLo anyway? Right on The Lake..

Umm,brahh, this is an office building generating a lot of heat and very little to no ventilation. It's a giant hot box.

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

Umm,brahh, this is an office building generating a lot of heat and very little to no ventilation. It's a giant hot box.

Yeah... But being an Architectural marvel of the Art Deco era... You'd think there would be a way to figure out central air.

It's City Hall... They waste a ton of money and go Spartan on this?

It's like strapping a Thule rack to a Ferrari.

Just saying.  It wrecks it for me.  The mechanical inside must be a mess to be hanging 40+ pound units 20 stories up.  Tacky, IMO.

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The mechanical inside must be a mess to be hanging 40+ pound units 20 stories up.  Tacky, IMO.

They still have the mechanicals for loading ice  blocks in through openings in the ground floor walls to provide "air conditioning" for the building    It's wild to think of that being high tech back in the day...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But being an Architectural marvel of the Art Deco era... You'd think there would be a way to figure out central air.

It's City Hall... They waste a ton of money and go Spartan on this?

It's like strapping a Thule rack to a Ferrari.

Just saying.  It wrecks it for me.  The mechanical inside must be a mess to be hanging 40+ pound units 20 stories up.  Tacky, IMO.

The building is reminiscent, in some respects, of stuff made in ancient Rome.

Their office buildings didn't have air conditioning either.  People survived. 

Not like A/C is needed in Buffalo, anyway, for more than about 3 weeks a year.

Actually you raise an interesting point.  The building was finished in 1931.  I wonder how many similar buildings had A/C built into them at that time.  I'm not sure how prevalent that was. 

The problem is that if a building is not built with A/C in mind, it can be difficult to engineer all the ducting needed into the building after the fact, especially if you want to conceal it.  

I do agree that all the window unit A/Cs sticking out on the exterior looks like ****.

The entire building is badly in need of a media blasting as well.  It's filthy. 

I assume there is no money in the budget for this stuff. LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

They still have the mechanicals for loading ice  blocks in through openings in the ground floor walls to provide "air conditioning" for the building    It's wild to think of that being high tech back in the day...

If it's blowing air over ice and have the mechanicals... You would think it would be not hard to convert to modern system.  Same principle.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.