Are The Bills Mafia’s Tailgate Antics An Embarrassment?

I find it entertaining and more importantly, I see people outside the Buffalo market who eat up the Bills recap on Deadspin every Monday. These people are becoming well wishers and casual fans.  The atmosphere is contagious.  My colleagues here in Houston all went to schools with major college football programs.  These LSU, A&M, Texas alums talk about wanting to see a game at New Era.  If you've ever seen an LSU tailgate you'd see that's a big compliment.

Tailgating was on its way out WAY before Bills mafia hit crashed through its first table.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Will likely end soon when someone breaks their neck and sues the Bills.

Honestly can't believe we haven't had a MAJOR injury reported yet (broken back, head, neck, paralysis, etc).

Anyone know of a serious injury yet?

I believe getting so drunk that you drown in Smoke's Creek counts as a serious injury. http://grantland.com/features/the-deaths-robert-sitter-david-gerken-jr-buffalo-bills-game/

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

https://waynetimes.com/columns/worst-bills-mafia/

Well, per Kim Pegula the path to a new stadium downtown is far from clear in the current government tax climate, so that may be a moot point.

It doesn't embarrass me.  I think the people who do these things should be embarrassed for themselves.

The Faiders fans are known for gang fights in the stadium. 

The Eagles fans booed Santa Claus 

Yhe Patriots fans don’t know anything about football before 2001

Everyone else has “something” 

Can we just have something please? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRush said:

Just came across this article that flew under the radar from a small newspaper near me.  The writer is somewhat critical of The Bills Mafia stadium antics which have gone viral.

Ironically he says something I never thought of.  He mentions that the Bills org is not happy about these viral videos.  When the built a new stadium is built downtown, the high ticket prices will keep this kind of “riff raff” (his words) out of the stadium.  

To paraphrase Jimmy Stewart from  It's a Wonderful life, "This kind of riff raff does most of the working, paying living, and dying in this community." Exactly who the heck is going to go to the new stadium if ticket prices are designed to keep them out?

2 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

Eagles fans cheered when Michael Irvin was temporarily paralyzed on the field, broke the venerable Chief Zee's leg, and booed McNabb at the draft.  Philly fans are just bad people.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Jauronimo said:

Eagles fans cheered when Michael Irvin was temporarily paralyzed on the field, broke the venerable Chief Zee's leg, and booed McNabb at the draft.  Philly fans are just bad people.

I guess that’s my point.  Breaking a table- really? that’s embarrassing? 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Embarrassing to me? No

Embarrassing to the Bill's? Yes

Embarrassing to the league? Yes

I have said it for years, current tailgating is going to be phased out over time. The teams and league are not going to continue to risk a lawsuit because of drunken idiots and their antics before games as they try to top the last video from the week before

And then they will all blame the NFL/Team and call it the "No Fun League" again. 

If it wasnt for these riff raff and viral videos...nobody outside of the bills fan base would care one ounce about Buffalo.

We obviously know how passionate we are as a fan base....but the rest of the league doesnt know or care. These videos help bring in national attention about our fanaticism. 

If you put up a national poll to every other fanbase and asked...."after seeing these bills mafia videos....do you like the bills more or less?" I would put a lot of money on MORE.

More popularity can only help the Bills.

2 hours ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

It's definitely an embarrassment, for sure.

I have never witnessed someone inject so much misery and negativity as you do in the 178 posts you've thrown out here.  Why bother interacting with people or commenting if you just spew your pessimism on every single topic you have an opinion on. Begone you rain cloud

On that note there are definitely a couple dozen who give everyone a bad name.  But like others have mentioned, our biggest flaw is we party too hard and have a good time.  Being too passionate for a perpetual loser isnt the worst trait for fans to have, media amplifies everything though so what can you do.  

1 minute ago, BillsMafia13 said:

I have never witnessed someone inject so much misery and negativity as you do in the 178 posts you've thrown out here.  Why bother interacting with people or commenting if you just spew your pessimism on every single topic you have an opinion on. Begone you rain cloud

On that note there are definitely a couple dozen who give everyone a bad name.  But like others have mentioned, our biggest flaw is we party too hard and have a good time.  Being too passionate for a perpetual loser isnt the worst trait for fans to have, media amplifies everything though so what can you do.  

have you met SoTier?  he makes cornette seem like an amateur.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

do you identify with everyone else that has similar interests? neither do i...

23 minutes ago, bobblehead said:

As a Bills fan, I'd like to erase my memory for everything after 2001. 

I'll tell ya what is embarrassing to me - seeing fans of other teams get berated/assaulted at our stadium.  I don't want Bills fans treated that way in other stadiums either.  We're all just supporting our team.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I'll tell ya what is embarrassing to me - seeing fans of other teams get berated/assaulted at our stadium.  I don't want Bills fans treated that way in other stadiums either.  We're all just supporting our team.

my brother took a 9 volt to the coconut at a Bucs game, it was the game TKO Spikes got injured.   That kind of crap happens everywhere beer and large crowd of guys get together.   

2 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

You’re right.  It is a very small amount of fans that do.  I go to 1-3 games per year and while I’m not a huge tailgater, I do hang in the lots beforehand.  I’ve seen a lot of drinking for sure, but I’ve really never seen anything like table smashing or anything you’d see in these videos.  

I think the embarrassing part is when the “BillsMafia” goes down to Jacksonville, trashes their stadium and lights a big bonfire in the parking lot!  LOL.  I remember Timmy Graham coming down on fans for this

Sabres fans aren't very popular in Raleigh or Columbus, either. 

1 hour ago, Logic said:

The Grateful Dead have a lyric: "It's 1 in 10,000 that comes for the show". I feel that way about football sometimes. If you take away the alcohol and the pre-game excess, how many would still show up? How many are truly there to watch a football game and not just to get hammered with their friends on a Sunday?

For me a game day experience is 2 parts.  A giant party before the game then the actual game itself.  Tailgating is one of the main draws for going to the game.  Drinking, grilling, playing kan jam at 9 am on a Sunday?  Awesome.  Take away tailgating? I'm not going to drive 2.5 hours each way for a 3 hour football game.  Combine the 2 and that is what I travel for!

Chalk me up as another that has never actually seen a table smash.  It isn't nearly as prevalent as it is made out to be. 

• Like (+1) 2