Is the UK the most productive country when it comes to music ?

Iron Maiden

I was looking at my music collection and, at least for my taste, the UK has giving us an incredible amount /quality of music...I can't think of any other country that comes close....

Beatles

Rolling Stones

Pink Floyd

The Who

Led Zep

Genesis/ Phil Collins/Peter Gabriel

Black Sabbath

Ozzy ( solo career )

Queen

David Bowie

The Kinks

The Clash

Radiohead

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

The Cult

Yes

Supertramp

Cold Play

Eric Clapton/ Yardbirds

Elton John

Sex Pistols

Jethro Tull

Motorhead

Deep Purple

The Cure

The Smiths

King Crimson

Oasis

Dire Straights

The Police/Sting

Whitesnake

The Animals

Emerson Lake and Palmer

.......there's probably a good 20 acts I didn't mention here....

The rest for me is obviously stuff from the USA, Australia, Canada etc....

Where does your music collection comes from mainly ?

• Like (+1) 1

The Brits did tend to dominate music in 60's - 80's, but not so much anymore.

Most of my collection would be US, British, Jamaican, Ireland

Allman Brothers

Grateful Dead

The Doors

Santana

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

Linkin Park

Aerosmith

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

All can equal The British Invasion bands.

11 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Allman Brothers

Grateful Dead

The Doors

Santana

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

Linkin Park

Aerosmith

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

I would add Bob Dylan, Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Frank Sinatra to that list...just to name a few.  One might even argue that Elvis’ influence helped to spurn the British rock and roll revolution.

USA wins on this list alone:

Willie

Waylon

Merle

Kris

Johnny

Hank

Bob

Tex

George

George

Patsy

Loretta

Florida Georgia Line

23 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Allman Brothers

Grateful Dead

The Doors

Santana

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nirvana

Alice In Chains

Soundgarden

Linkin Park

Aerosmith

Jimi Hendrix

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Gary Clarke junior, a guy no one has heard of, can outplay about anyone on the guitar and gets no coverage.  That's the difference between now and then.

You get rock of today and the recent era

STP

muse

in this moment

Queens of the stoneage

Halestorm

... A lot of good rock is out there that is still mainstream by many regards.

Something I have often pondered is this: 

If you follow European pop music over the last few decades, you will see that almost all of the music from almost all European countries is absolutely HORRIBLE.  It's amateurish, cheesy, and just not a globally salable/likable product, which is why no one has heard of most popular European acts but they are popular in their own countries.

But then you have the UK, of course, which has produced some of the greatest pop music of all time and in large numbers, popular around the world. 

Why is that?

What is in the water in the UK that creates such talent/gifted musicians?  And why isn't any of that water available in Germany or Denmark!?

I'm pretty tuned into the German music scene.  They started super strong with Bach, transitioned nicely to Beethoven, and followed up quite well with the likes of Wagner and Mahler.  Since the early 20th century and beyond, the music coming out of tha country is freaking horrible.

A few exceptions apply.  Scorpions, for example, were a global success, a very popular band, and they created some music that will last forever.   There is some talent to be found in Rammstein and I do like a few of their songs quite a bit.  They are definitely a popular, successful act. 

But overall it's a bleak music scene.

Why so bad in Germany, but so good in England?

Edited by Fadingpain

18 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Something I have often pondered is this: 

If you follow European pop music over the last few decades, you will see that almost all of the music from almost all European countries is absolutely HORRIBLE.  It's amateurish, cheesy, and just not a globally salable/likable product, which is why no one has heard of most popular European acts but they are popular in their own countries.

But then you have the UK, of course, which has produced some of the greatest pop music of all time and in large numbers, popular around the world. 

Why is that?

What is in the water in the UK that creates such talent/gifted musicians?  And why isn't any of that water available in Germany or Denmark!?

I'm pretty tuned into the German music scene.  They started super strong with Bach, transitioned nicely to Beethoven, and followed up quite well with the likes of Wagner and Mahler.  Since the early 20th century and beyond, the music coming out of tha country is freaking horrible.

A few exceptions apply.  Scorpions, for example, were a global success, a very popular band, and they created some music that will last forever.   There is some talent to be found in Rammstein and I do like a few of their songs quite a bit.  They are definitely a popular, successful act. 

But overall it's a bleak music scene.

Why so bad in Germany, but so good in England?

I absolutely love The Scorpions...but overall, your point stands !

1 minute ago, Iron Maiden said:

Here's a few I forgot from the UK....

Def Leppard

Van Morrison

Mumford & Sons

Rod Stewart

Duran Duran

Eurythmics

T. Rex

Those are all the past. 

I'd put nivana against some **** def leppard put out and call it Nirvana every day of the week when it comes to rock music. And I loathe Nirvana

I'd put Weezer above duran duran and maybe definitely Leppard too

I like def leppard, too.

Similarly, I'd put a group like Boston against the average brittish band to ride the wave of others over during the rush. You really had a handful of those in the OP that were influential. 

Of those, my favorite hands down is the cure.

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Those are all the past. 

I'd put nivana against some **** def leppard put out and call it Nirvana every day of the week when it comes to rock music. And I loathe Nirvana

I'd put Weezer above duran duran and maybe definitely Leppard too

I like def leppard, too.

Similarly, I'd put a group like Boston against the average brittish band to ride the wave of others over during the rush. You really had a handful of those in the OP that were influential. 

Of those, my favorite hands down is the cure.

Nirvana was a UK band... first album is interesting for sure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nirvana_(British_band)

3 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

I was looking at my music collection and, at least for my taste, the UK has giving us an incredible amount /quality of music...I can't think of any other country that comes close....

Beatles

Rolling Stones

Pink Floyd

The Who

Led Zep

Black Sabbath

Ozzy ( solo career )

Queen

David Bowie

The Kinks

The Clash

Radiohead

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

The Cult

Yes

Supertramp

Cold Play

Eric Clapton/ Yardbirds

Elton John

Sex Pistols

Jethro Tull

Motorhead

Deep Purple

The Cure

The Smiths

King Crimson

Oasis

Dire Straights

The Police/Sting

Whitesnake

The Animals

Emerson Lake and Palmer

Add Cream, Blind Faith, Renaissance and Traffic to the list... I would agree that the UK would win this with the exception of the San Francisco sound.

Quicksilver Messenger Service

Its a Beautiful Day

Grateful Dead

The Airplane

Mamas & Papa's

West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band

Big Brother and the Holding Company

ETC.

Edited by T&C

1 minute ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Good good, man!  How do you listen to this stuff?  To each his own, I guess.

Love me some Death !!!! I probably listen to it 95% of the time when listening to music , my kids try to get me to listen to lighter stuff, the pussification of America !

1 hour ago, Iron Maiden said:

Here's a few I forgot from the UK....

Def Leppard

Van Morrison

Mumford & Sons

Rod Stewart

Duran Duran

Eurythmics

T. Rex

Van Morrison should count a LOT more than just once. 

15 minutes ago, Augie said:

Van Morrison should count a LOT more than just once. 

I agree. Somehow the blues were left out of this:

Savoy Brown

John Mayall

Fleetwood Mac (the real one, not the bleating lamb stevie nicks ****)

Graham Bond Organization 

ETC

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

For rock & roll, yeah. I'd give the edge to the UK over the US historically.

There's still a ton of great rock coming out of both countries. Many of you need to modernize your playlists.

Why not. The Stooges, The Velvet Underground, Gary Lewis and the Playboys... 

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

I agree. Somehow the blues were left out of this:

Savoy Brown

John Mayall

Fleetwood Mac (the real one, not the bleating lamb stevie nicks ****)

Graham Bond Organization 

ETC

When we lived in FL we had some friends in the music world. R&R HOF folks. It was interesting to get their takes on various artists. Who they loved, and who they hated. They LOVED Van Morrison. He “has soul”. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

When we lived in FL we had some friends in the music world. R&R HOF folks. It was interesting to get their takes on various artists. Who they loved, and who they hated. They LOVED Van Morrison. He “has soul”. 

That's why Van is the man... Ireland's Joe Cocker... 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

I absolutely love The Scorpions...but overall, your point stands !

I like the Scorpions too.  They stand out as a group of musicians capable of producing a body of work good enough to be listened to and sold around the world.   Most German stuff is quirky and does not have appeal outside the domestic market.

And it's the same with most European countries, except the UK.  

There are a few great American bands that have stamped their name on the international rock 'n roll scene, but almost all the really good stuff (according to me) comes from the UK.

Best of the best American stuff for me is Van Halen and Boston. 

And let's not forget Rush from the Great White North.  Couldn't imagine music without them.

1 minute ago, Fadingpain said:

I like the Scorpions too.  They stand out as a group of musicians capable of producing a body of work good enough to be listened to and sold around the world.   Most German stuff is quirky and does not have appeal outside the domestic market.

And it's the same with most European countries, except the UK.  

There are a few great American bands that have stamped their name on the international rock 'n roll scene, but almost all the really good stuff (according to me) comes from the UK.

Best of the best American stuff for me is Van Halen and Boston. 

And let's not forget Rush from the Great White North.  Couldn't imagine music without them.

Agreed on both....My only tattoo is the VH with both my sons names like Eddie has with Wolfgang....Also love Aerosmith, Motley Crue , Steve Miller Band, Disturbed...etc...And Rush is in my top 5 bands...they are simply incredible....Some of the best shows I've ever seen....All 3 were extremely talented musicians....

48 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

Agreed on both....My only tattoo is the VH with both my sons names like Eddie has with Wolfgang....Also love Aerosmith, Motley Crue , Steve Miller Band, Disturbed...etc...And Rush is in my top 5 bands...they are simply incredible....Some of the best shows I've ever seen....All 3 were extremely talented musicians....

Rush was my first concert ever, at the Aud 76... ticket $6.00. I still have the stub and its "readable" lol. 

I love talking music and the best part of it is is that no one is right or wrong. 

Steve Miller Band. The music in the Capitol days was superb, and Fly like an eagle was the last good thing this dude has done. Have seen him 3 times since then and every one of those concerts sucked. Completely sucked. Just horrible. At least the last time Joe Cocker played on the same bill, made it excellent.

8 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

Beatles

Rolling Stones

Pink Floyd

The Who

Led Zep

Black Sabbath

Ozzy ( solo career )

Queen

David Bowie

The Kinks

The Clash

Radiohead

Judas Priest

Iron Maiden

The Cult

Yes

Supertramp

Cold Play

Eric Clapton/ Yardbirds

Elton John

Sex Pistols

Jethro Tull

Motorhead

Deep Purple

The Cure

The Smiths

King Crimson

Oasis

Dire Straights

The Police/Sting

Whitesnake

The Animals

Emerson Lake and Palmer

7 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

USA wins on this list alone:

Willie

Waylon

Merle

Kris

Johnny

Hank

Bob

Tex

George

George

Patsy

Loretta

Florida Georgia Line

Gary Clarke junior, a guy no one has heard of, can outplay about anyone on the guitar and gets no coverage.  That's the difference between now and then.

You get rock of today and the recent era

STP

muse

in this moment

Queens of the stoneage

Halestorm

... A lot of good rock is out there that is still mainstream by many regards.

There it is. Uk has rock, US has country. It's a tie.

UK vintage vinyl is much better though. They had the edge on pressing good records. Also, since the most popular vinyl at the time was british, many of the American pressings of bands like Black Sabbath, Zep, Floyd, amd many others were actually recorded on whatever (casette, reel tape, or an actual record itself and not the plate), then sent across the pond, and then recorded and pressed off of those mediums. So not only could they press better than us, but they had it first hand where we had a copy of a copy.

The new 180g vinyls are awesome though.

10 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

There it is. Uk has rock, US has country. It's a tie.

UK vintage vinyl is much better though. They had the edge on pressing good records. Also, since the most popular vinyl at the time was british, many of the American pressings of bands like Black Sabbath, Zep, Floyd, amd many others were actually recorded on whatever (casette, reel tape, or an actual record itself and not the plate), then sent across the pond, and then recorded and pressed off of those mediums. So not only could they press better than us, but they had it first hand where we had a copy of a copy.

The new 180g vinyls are awesome though.

Rock and country is not a tie, says the guy who loves Nashville. Rock wins all day, every day. Yet the Stones, and their rock, tend to fall back to country roots when given a chance, so who knows? It’s all a beautiful “process”.    ?

23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Rock and country is not a tie, says the guy who loves Nashville. Rock wins all day, every day. Yet the Stones, and their rock, tend to fall back to country roots when given a chance, so who knows? It’s all a beautiful “process”.    ?

Rock is dead.   Country keeps churning along. 

39 minutes ago, Augie said:

Agree to disagree.

Country may even edge out rock for me. Real country anyway.

Just now, Shotgunner said:

Agree to disagree.

Country may even edge out rock for me. Real country anyway.

I can respectfully disagree with you, and possibly Mick Jagger, on this one. There is a certain country element I don’t love, but I DO see how it bleeds into other things that are great. 

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

I can respectfully disagree with you, and possibly Mick Jagger, on this one. There is a certain country element I don’t love, but I DO see how it bleeds into other things that are great. 

I just love that, to quote Trace Atkins, country songs are "songs about me". I can directly relate to it, and just for that reason it's hard to beat.

Country also takes it for me because of Bluegrass, which I consider to be an extension of the genre. You add Bill Monroe, Ricky Skaggs, Earl Scruggs, amd Doc Watson to the country list and there's no list of Brits that tops it. Imo of course.

52 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I just love that, to quote Trace Atkins, country songs are "songs about me". I can directly relate to it, and just for that reason it's hard to beat.

Country also takes it for me because of Bluegrass, which I consider to be an extension of the genre. You add Bill Monroe, Ricky Skaggs, Earl Scruggs, amd Doc Watson to the country list and there's no list of Brits that tops it. Imo of course.

Where would you rate this one?

or, this one...

Edited by T&C
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Augie said:

I am not a big country fan, but I'm smart enough to understand and respect the genre......having said that, Rock wins everyday and twice on Sundays....Big rock bands sell out stadiums and arena across the globe.... would Garth Brooks have sold out shows in Bulgaria, Santiago, Rio, Croatia, Athens , Paris, South Africa, Dubai, Mumbai like he does in the US ? Maybe...I just don't really know true international country stars...Major rock bands can sell out pretty much everywhere on the planet....Rock reaches a broader audience IMO....

Oh Canada...

Joni Mitchell

Neil Young

BTO

Rush

Bryan Adams

Celine Dion

Alanis Morrissette

Sarah McLaughlin

Max Webster (Kim Mitchell)

April Wine

Guess Who

Loverboy

Chilliwack

The Nylons

Parachute Club

Blue Rodeo

Tragically Hip

Gordon Lightfoot

Anne Murray

Avril Lavigne

Jeff Healey

Ian and Sylvia Tyson

Glass Tiger

Headpins

Trooper

Nickelback (no I'm not a fan)

Nelly Furtado

Justin Bieber (definitely not a fan)

Drake

The Bells

Stompin' Tom Connors

Stampeders

Colin James

Pat Travers

Paul Anka

Guy Lombardo

Kashtin

The Box

Buffy St. Marie

David Wilcox

Lighthouse

5 Man Electrical Band

David Clayton Thomas

2 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

I am not a big country fan, but I'm smart enough to understand and respect the genre......having said that, Rock wins everyday and twice on Sundays....Big rock bands sell out stadiums and arena across the globe.... would Garth Brooks have sold out shows in Bulgaria, Santiago, Rio, Croatia, Athens , Paris, South Africa, Dubai, Mumbai like he does in the US ? Maybe...I just don't really know true international country stars...Major rock bands can sell out pretty much everywhere on the planet....Rock reaches a broader audience IMO....

Um. Garth did sell out shows internationally... Sorry brahhhh

Thanks

He's #9 on all time concert grossing.

And I guess maybe 400,000 tickets in Ireland ain't much...

Edit:. Mind you he also limits the price of his tickets to about a 1/4 the cost of other major acts.

And I've never seen a rockstar do something like this:

Garth maybe cheesy but he is better to his fans than anyone, including Bono.  He has spent an entire day singing autographs.  The tail end of his show he literally takes requests by signs held up by the audience.  In 2016, iirc, every town he went to, including Buffalo, he held a football camp for kids. He brought them to the Bills camp, actually.

The guy is a cheese all but he's an amazing act and the highest selling single performer of all time by RIAA standards.  And he's only 56.

Edited by Boyst62