Gil Brandt’s Top 25 RB list

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thurman comes in at number 16

A little to low in my opinion...

Id have him closer to 10-12...

He was the best ALL AROUND back from his era. His versatility including his receiving and blocking skills were unmatched 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815786

Without looking at the list, I agree...top 10-12 is right. MVP and HOF still did not do him the justice he earned during his career

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Thurman comes in at number 16

A little to low in my opinion...

Id have him closer to 10-12...

He was the best ALL AROUND back from his era. His versatility including his receiving and blocking skills were unmatched 

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000815786

Dont recall if it was this offseason or last season but there was a looooong thread on RB rankings.

Heavy skew towards top 10 here with a few saying top 5 and a few leaving teens. Really seemed to depend on where guys like Tomlinson ranked... there were guys with more impressive stats/measurables but how much do you credit Thomas for being an innovator. Was a good thread.

I like this list;  largely because (unlike most RB lists), it doesn't badly overrate Emmit Smith.  Put him on the kind of sh--y teams OJ, Sayers and Payton played on most/all of their careers and he's barely on the list at all.

Also wonder how much better Allen would have been if Al Davis wasn't a psycho who hated the best player on his team.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I put him 10-15, but I am biased. #16 seems about right. He never was a threat to 'take it to the house' on any run, but he was a guaranteed 3-5 a carry, could catch like a WR and was a solid blocker.

He was a better version of Roger Craig. He was more limited than Marcus Allen, before him. He was proto E James and M Faulk before those guys.

Edited by RocCityRoller

4 minutes ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Oj at 10 is too low, Barry Sanders at 7 is too low. Both should/could be top 5. Bo Jackson played 3 seasons averaged less than a 1000 yards per season and is #4?

I didn’t even get that far lmao

He really has Bo #4?

he was a freak but shouldn’t even be on the list because of lack of longevity 

• Like (+1) 1

Gil has forgotten more about football than I'll never know.  But even acknowledging that, I have to say this list is bad.

OJ at #10 is indefensible.  Watching OJ and Jim Brown play was like watching a NFLer play against a JUCO team.  They were men among boys.  Gil rightly has Jim at #1 but then puts 8 other backs ahead of OJ.  This is plain insane - or else Gil is letting OJ's extracurricular exploits shade OJ's ranking.

Because of rule and scheme changes, it's hard to compare backs of different eras.  But let's look at 1973 when OJ nearly doubled the production of the next best back.   No other RB has ever been so dominant.  

Other questionable choices:

Bo at #4?  No way.

LDT at #5?  Good but not that good.

Dorsett at #9?  When watching Barry Sanders (#7) or Earl Campbell (#8), you knew you were watching a special talent in action.  I never felt that way about Dorsett (#9).  

John Riggins at #18?  3.9 yards per carry in his career.  Oddly better as an old man then a young one.    Not in my top 25 though.  Probably not in my top 50.  

This is an odd list by Gil.  

• Like (+1) 1

Bo Jackson that high is ridiculous.  Just because he was a legend on Tecmo Bowl doesn't mean he belongs on this list where he only rushed for 2,782 yards.

OJ should be in the top 5 as he sliced and diced his way through a defense like few in the history of the game.  Barry Sanders is also too low.

Curtis Martin wasn’t interesting to watch, he just stayed healthy for many years and chugged along.

Sayers and Bo had their very interesting careers cut short. 

Juice and Earl gave us 5 great years, Terrell Davis far less and far less captivating than those two

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Surprised Sean Alexander, Priest Holmes, and Franco Harris didn't make the list.

Franco ran out of bounds to avoid a hit at number 50

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Bo Jackson that high is ridiculous.  Just because he was a legend on Tecmo Bowl doesn't mean he belongs on this list where he only rushed for 2,782 yards.

OJ should be in the top 5 as he sliced and diced his way through a defense like few in the history of the game.  Barry Sanders is also too low.

I had the same reaction initially, but then I thought that Bo’s placement on this list would depend on the criteria.  Career accomplishments, or pure ability as a RB.  If this is purely about ability as a RB, Bo is top 5 no question.  Regardless, I think Tomlinson is too high on this list.  Barry sanders too low.

26 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Agreed on Franco Harris and as much as I like talking to Gil on NFLR, he was off with Thurmon’s Ranking.  I agree with a previous poster who said 12 is about fair.  I agree with a lot of top 10.

The Steelers has to go to Oakland in the playoffs in 76 and Bleier and Franco got injured the game before and couldn’t make the trip

Bleier was never questioned on the injury or his heart

15 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

Oj at 10 is too low, Barry Sanders at 7 is too low. Both should/could be top 5. Bo Jackson played 3 seasons averaged less than a 1000 yards per season and is #4?

Bo never played a full season due to baseball and averaged less than half the number of per game carries than say, Eric Dickerson. However, every time he touched the ball he was threat to score. In other words, he was amazing and we can only wonder what he would have done for not baseball and the freak injury. 

I think the Top 10is fine though personally I’d put Tomlinson at #10 and shift the rest down. 

Probably bias it’s but I think TT is #11, Emmitt Smith, is way too high and feel anyback would have been very good in that offense. Same could be said for TT but I think the offense was great because of his skill set. 

Edited by Max Fischer