Gil Brandt’s Top 25 RB list

14 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Gil has forgotten more about football than I'll never know.  But even acknowledging that, I have to say this list is bad.

OJ at #10 is indefensible.  Watching OJ and Jim Brown play was like watching a NFLer play against a JUCO team.  They were men among boys.  Gil rightly has Jim at #1 but then puts 8 other backs ahead of OJ.  This is plain insane - or else Gil is letting OJ's extracurricular exploits shade OJ's ranking.

Because of rule and scheme changes, it's hard to compare backs of different eras.  But let's look at 1973 when OJ nearly doubled the production of the next best back.   No other RB has ever been so dominant.  

Other questionable choices:

Bo at #4?  No way.

LDT at #5?  Good but not that good.

Dorsett at #9?  When watching Barry Sanders (#7) or Earl Campbell (#8), you knew you were watching a special talent in action.  I never felt that way about Dorsett (#9).  

John Riggins at #18?  3.9 yards per carry in his career.  Oddly better as an old man then a young one.    Not in my top 25 though.  Probably not in my top 50.  

This is an odd list by Gil.  

I would argue that 11,000 yds and over 100 rush td makes your take on Riggins fairly absurd. It’s been 30 years since he’s played and he’s still 19th all time in rush yds and 6th in rush td’s. 

I agree with you and most others saying OJ at 10 is way too low. I also would have a hard time putting Dorsett over Thurman. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty