Jarvis Landry says Tyrod Taylor looks "amazing"

59 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

In 2016 Tyrod had 23 total TDs. The RBs combined had 23 rushing TDs. He also had 3,603 total yards, and the RBs combined had 2,050 rushing yards.

So Tyrod accounted for 63.7% of our total yards and 50% of our TDs in 2016. I'm sure that's a lower percentage than most QBs in the NFL, but to say our high scoring offense was mainly a product of our rushing game is disingenuous at best.

No. That's exactly what it means. Tyrod accounted for less points, even when you throw in his rushing TD's. That still made him a bottom 15 QB in point scoring (without giving all other QB's their rushing TD's).

The rushing offense was the only reason the team was top 10 in scoring.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

Landry hasent exactly had fantastic qbs throwing to him the last few seasons. Tyrod probably does look awesome to him. Also, Landry is gonna be tyrods #1 reciever. Having said that, Tyrod had 3 seasons here to show us he was a franchise qb. He averaged about 185 yards per game in all 3 seasons. That's putrid. I don't care if he throws for 6000 yards this season, the bills were right to trade him

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Tyrod really grounded Robert Woods into mush in 2016 when Woods played in 13 games and caught 76 receptions for 613 yards, compared to 2017 when he was healthy for 17 full games and caught 85 receptions for 781 yards. In 3 more games he caught 9 more receptions and 168 more yards not exactly a lot more production for 3 more games played (A slight uptick at best.) The only thing that went dramatically up were TD's. If Woods was ruined by Tyrod in 2016 how did Woods get a massive contract from LA? The supporting cast for Tyrod skill position wise in 2016 was compromised by Sammy missing half the season and coming back from injury. Losing your #1 receiver hurts big time as it trickles down to the rest of the offense and it didn't help that Woods got hurt late in the year missing 3 games.  

Sammy was on IR with a serious foot injury in 2016 and only played 8 total games where he still put up 28 receptions for 430 yards compared to the 15 games he played in 2017 where he only put up 39 receptions for 593 yards, the only thing that dramatically went up were TD's. The only 2016 receiver you could truly saw flourished without Tyrod was Goodwin. But even Goodwin was a bit banged up in 2016 but he certainly crushed it in SF in 2017. 

I am not saying that Tyrod didn't have any receivers in 2016 but losing Sammy and some of the other players being banged up didn't make for a top-flight core. In 2017 they lost a lot of talent due to injury (Matthews and Benjamin) and Zay Jones was not as effective as a 2nd round pick should have been. 

I guess my point was that factoring in Sammy's injury I would say that the skill position corps was slightly below average in 2016 and dreadful in 2017. I am OK with the team moving on from Tyrod (Although I think short term we will miss him) but I just think there has to be an honest assessment of his time here. 

TDs win games.  Not yards or receptions. We will not miss tyrod. 

34 minutes ago, McBean said:

Just wait until teams make him be a QB like the Saints and Jags did last year.

Mayfield will be in week 2 after Hue the Clown is fired after week 1.

When the best defense for your QB is to keep him in the pocket and be a QB, you know you have problems.

I don't consider myself a Tyrod basher, but he just wasn't good enough. He was a good bridge QB and he made some awesome plays occasionally, and I love how he took care of the football. Just not good enough as a passer.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MJS said:

No. That's exactly what it means. Tyrod accounted for less points, even when you throw in his rushing TD's. That still made him a bottom 15 QB in point scoring (without giving all other QB's their rushing TD's).

The rushing offense was the only reason the team was top 10 in scoring.

The rushing offense scored most of their TDs in the red zone. 15 of their 23 TDs came inside the 10, and 18 came inside the 20. Going back to my earlier post Tyrod accounted for 63.7% of our total yards which is what got us to the red zone so often. And Tyrod was efficient in the red zone when they had him pass - we were 8th in red zone passer rating in 2016. The other reason we were so good in the red zone was we had a deadly QB read option. I don't have any stats on that, I just remember it being very difficult to defend. For some reason Dennison all but abandoned that play last year which was his most baffling decision in a year of baffling decisions.

Our offense was good in 2016 for multiple reasons, one of which was Tyrod performing pretty well in an offense designed for his skill set (albeit not consistently enough). You can pretend he wasn't a major part of our success that year but the data doesn't back that up at all. No one is saying he's elite but he has shown he can lead a top 10 scoring offense if he has a good OC and a solid supporting cast. Whether he replicates that success this year is still just anyone's guess but it is definitely possible.

Edited by HappyDays

18 hours ago, Rubes said:

I wish Tyrod the best, I really do. If he somehow lights it up and leads them deep into the playoffs, that's awesome for him. And I wouldn't hold it against the Bills brass for dealing him away, as most of us here wouldn't. I just think TT reached his ceiling here in Buffalo. Could his ceiling be higher elsewhere? Sure, it's possible. Just not likely.

His "low" ceiling was the problem.  If he were 5-6" taller, that would have made a big difference.  It's nice that he looks good in camp but; in real games, with real pressure?  We'll see.

40 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The rushing offense scored most of their TDs in the red zone. 15 of their 23 TDs came inside the 10, and 18 came inside the 20. Going back to my earlier post Tyrod accounted for 63.7% of our total yards which is what got us to the red zone so often. And Tyrod was efficient in the red zone when they had him pass - we were 8th in red zone passer rating in 2016. The other reason we were so good in the red zone was we had a deadly QB read option. I don't have any stats on that, I just remember it being very difficult to defend. For some reason Dennison all but abandoned that play last year which was his most baffling decision in a year of baffling decisions.

Our offense was good in 2016 for multiple reasons, one of which was Tyrod performing pretty well in an offense designed for his skill set (albeit not consistently enough). You can pretend he wasn't a major part of our success that year but the data doesn't back that up at all. No one is saying he's elite but he has shown he can lead a top 10 scoring offense if he has a good OC and a solid supporting cast. Whether he replicates that success this year is still just anyone's guess but it is definitely possible.

I'm not pretending anything. Tyrod does less for the success of his team than do most QB's in the league. The data absolutely backs that up.

QB's get paid the big bucks for a reason. They are supposed to carry the team. Tyrod REQUIRES a good run game. He REQUIRES an elite defense. If he has those things he can get it done, but if he is missing one of those, he is as ineffective a QB as there is in the league.

He was good for Buffalo. He was the best QB we have had in a long time. I do not regret having him as our QB. I would have even kept him for another year to Bridge to Allen. He is a perfect Bridge QB and will always have a job. But his ability to pass is not the reason. He has a job because he is a good teammate, he doesn't turn over the ball, and he can make dynamic plays with his legs. As a PASSER, he is sub-par. And the data does indeed support that, with the two most basic and fundamental stats for a QB: Passing TD's and Passing Yards.

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Just wait until teams make him be a QB like the Saints and Jags did last year.

Mayfield will be in week 2 after Hue the Clown is fired after week 1.

But now he has targets that can catch.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

As of 12/31/2016 (one day before the EJ Manuel/Cardale Jones game) the Bills offense was tied for 6th in TDs scored.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/offensive-touchdowns-per-game?date=2016-12-31

Obviously that isn't all on Tyrod. Our rushing was incredible that year, and Anthony Lynn designed a really good offense. But it proves that Tyrod is capable of leading a top 10 scoring offense when he has a good support system. Which very well may be the case in Cleveland.

Unfair comparison.

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

As the punch and pie bringing member of the Tyrod Taylor fan club....I gotta ask.

Why are we still talking about him?

He is GONE.....his pick used to aquire Josh Allen (I think) and the bills have now moved on.  Good luck to Tyrod.....he is no longer on our team.

Are you SURE? I keep reading a LOT about him! 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

As the punch and pie bringing member of the Tyrod Taylor fan club....I gotta ask.

Why are we still talking about him?

He is GONE.....his pick used to aquire Josh Allen (I think) and the bills have now moved on.  Good luck to Tyrod.....he is no longer on our team.

....and astonishingly a 3rd no less.....wonder if we EVER get to the point admitting the "greenest grass at The Hat" was DOWNFIELD because it was NEVER used......sure as hell wanted this kid to succeed but WR's had a better shot seeing launched t-shirts from the stands versus the pigskin....make 'em better Hugh............

19 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

Sorry if this has been posted.  I searched, but didn't find anything:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000939539/article/jarvis-landry-tyrod-taylor-has-looked-amazing

Excerpt from article:

"Wide receiver Jarvis Landry took his turn Thursday on The Rich Eisen Show when asked how Taylor looked during the offseason.

"Amazing," Landry told Eisen. "Amazing, man. His leadership, his arm, his accuracy and he's ready, man. He's the starting quarterback, and I'm sure that, obviously, the decision is up to [head coach] Hue [Jackson] and the offensive staff, and stuff like that. But I'm sure they've been highly impressed with [what] he's done through OTAs and minicamp.""

Didn't realize Landry went that way.

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But now he has targets that can catch.

This is what’s wrong with you millennials 

All excuses, all fake news, no accountability. 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...if TT is in "Hugh's Penthouse", is it worth going against the grain as a Brown newbee?..............

Maybe that is how he got that extension

Contract rather he as on the Tag IIRC

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Like (+1) 1