Prediction: Nathan Peterman Bills Starting QB Wk. 1 vs. Ravens

45 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I was watching a highlight of the play earlier and this may be unknown to you but the announcer said 

Nate was smart enough to recognize the blown coverage and make a great play!

Saying everything good Nate does is pure luck is disingenuous to yourself and others who will listen.  

We all have to bide our time until Josh proves he is the unquestioned starter.   

That was Tasker who is always wrong. Just do yourself a favor and look at the play yourself. There are three total receivers to the right and three total defenders. To the left there is the safety and more defenders than receivers. Unless you want to give Peterman credit for being able to count to four, there was no sleuthing going on when he was reading the defense. If you go watch the play and come back here and try to explain why that was some really smart play it will be embarrassing. That was the only play. As soon as Peterman dropped back instantly he saw O'Leary's guy blitzing and O'Leary completely uncovered. It was a high school play. 

7 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I have no dog in this fight, but the 2nd sentence in bold would be the definition of recognition. Jus sayin.

For an eight year old. 

19 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

This pretty much illustrates the recognition of a defensive weakness.

For an eight year old. 

Peterman's infamous 5 pick half has left a lasting impression on many fans and it's difficult to combat those opinions because it was 5 freaking picks in a half!!

With that said, he is better than what his detractors think he is.  Peterman will not be out of the NFL any time soon and I think there is a really good chance that he becomes a quality backup QB who will get an opportunity to start one day in the NFL with another team not named Buffalo.

He is a rhythm passer and in the right system he can be effective.  

Im glad that hes playing well right now and I think there is a 50/50 chance that he starts.  Allen obviously has lots more upside and is certainly the future and maybe even the present but I wouldn't feel too bad with Peterman starting the year.

My hopes are that Allen starts the 1st half this next week with peterman getting the second half.  If Allen plays well I think he should be the starter for week 1.

Two good  QB's is a nice problem.  Clearly Josh has a higher ceiling.   But.....at the moment....Nathan has a better "command" of the offense. No surprise there he's got a full year under his belt.  I'd be very happy with either as the week 1 starter and I'll continue to route for both (and AJ too) because I'm a fan of the Buffalo Bills.

Rather than argue senselessly just take solace in that we are WAY better off than we were just 1 year ago at the QB position.  If the season started tomorrow I believe Peterman would be the guy despite what media is force feeding us on Josh's beautifully thrown long-ball incomplete passes. Josh will get there but to call Nathan Peterman a "Scrub" speaks volumes of certain posters on this message board. 

Either QB will be fine.....and..... to be realistic we're probably a .500 team this year. (man I hope I'm wrong there)  Playing Josh and getting him injury crippled is a high rish endeavor behind what appears to be a weak O-line.  McD is too smart for that though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RussellDopeland said:

Peterman may very well be the starter week 1. And irregardless of how well he may be performing at the moment, we know what the regular season will entail: Eight defenders in the box to stop Shady. A flat-footed Peterman missing targets. Passes tipped at the line. Peterman focused on the oncoming rush, and failing to look downfield. Peterman locking on to one target, and failing to go through his progressions. Peterman holding the ball far too long, exacerbating the blocking issues this unit already has, leading to avoidable sacks. Poor throws leading to receivers potentially being at risk of injury. And, of course, turnovers aplenty- interceptions, fumbles, etc..We've seen this crap before- Peterman is just another in a long-line of mediocrities the Bills have been trotting out since Todd Collins. The sooner Allen plays, the better. Who cares if they go 4-12; get Allen out there and let him learn.

Your post is an example of going almost hysterical. I won't deny he has flaws in his game but you would deny he has had a good showing in preseason. 

I disagree with you. I don't think Peterman is as bad as you think. He hasn't looked lost in preseason. I did see that trademark tipped pass for the interception. Those would happen in live games. 

I can agree with some criticism of Peterman. Just to the level he sucks so bad then why is he almost perfect in preseason...

If Josh Allen is the man he will take the job. No need to sweat Perfect Peterman in Preseason. Hey Peterman go run the starting team to a TD. Done. Hey go lead the worst part of the team to a TD. Ok done. 

Edited by Lfod
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Not that it matters much but we should remind everyone that the first pick against the Chargers was 100% the WR's fault. It doesn't change that it was an awful game by Peterman but it should've been a 4 pick game not a 5 pick game.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Not that it matters much but we should remind everyone that the first pick against the Chargers was 100% the WR's fault. It doesn't change that it was an awful game by Peterman but it should've been a 4 pick game not a 5 pick game.

As was a jumbled ball by Patrick Dimarco. He proved his uselessness that game.

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

As was a jumbled ball by Patrick Dimarco. He proved his uselessness that game.

Peterman was moving the chains, then he made a terrific nice pass up to the middle that ended up being intercepted because of the WR (Benjamin???) and clearly saw that  it took a toll on him as a rookie, on his first start and he was not the same thereafter. I was at the Stubhub Center sitting in the stadium BTW.

Edited by Curt

9 minutes ago, Curt said:

I like Peterman. He has a special talent I believe. His style of play will lead to interceptions. Only it won't matter if he connects more than not and it leads to points.

I think he has shown in preseason to be adequate. If Josh Allen wants to rise up and take the job so be it. I don't think you sleep on Perfect Peterman. 

Edited by Lfod

2 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

How do Peterman's stats reflect a false reality and what is that false reality?

Are you suggesting that more has been added onto Allen's plate than Peterman's by the coaches?

What false reality? 

Is this a joke?

I'm going to pretend I'm you... this is how stats lie:

Brah, Peterman completed 80% of his pass attempts (double digit pass attempts, too!!!) and averaged 11.3 YPA all while throwing for a TD and NO PICKS!!! And he was only sacked once!!! His passer rating was off the charts!!! 147.1!!!

That's the false reality Peterman's stats reflect, and if you think those stats are an accurate reflection of how good he was or what McDermott actually is weighing in his evaluation, you don't know football.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What false reality? 

Is this a joke?

Brah, Peterman completed 80% of his pass attempts (double digit pass attempts, too!!!) and averaged 11.3 YPA all while throwing for a TD and NO PICKS!!! And he was only sacked once!!! His passer rating was off the charts!!! 147.1!!!

That's the false reality Peterman's stats reflect, and if you think those stats are an accurate reflection of how good he was or what McDermott actually is weighing in his evaluation, you don't know football.

Pathetic. Peterman 85% over two games - leading effective drives against a great Carolina D, and lifting his 3rd string scrubs above their level against Cleveland. yeah, but he's garbage.

Meanwhile Allen goes 48% against Carolina's 3rd team, not elevating anyone ont hat unit, and beats up on the 2nd string Browns who just went 0-16, but he's Jesus.

How pathetically delusional. You don't have to say Peterman is a great player to acknowledge he's had a phenomenal pre-season by any standard. Your fanboysim is so juvenile.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What false reality? 

Is this a joke?

I seen Peterman avoid pressure and make a nice throw to Kelvin Benjamin on the sideline. I seen the line getting pushed back on his drives but his quick pass negated it. 

Then I seen AJ get destroyed and I didn't think he played great in his first game. 

I'll tell you something, Josh Allen is looking good buddy. Just Peterman isn't so bad or lucky. He gets the job done and it's adequate. 

2 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

One way is throwing an easy 4 yard pass to a wide open TE that wasn't covered that Gerhard DeBeer could have easily completed and getting credit for a 35 yard TD. Another way is throwing a stupid 3 yard pass to a covered receiver on 3rd and 6 that counts as a completion to your great % but is a lousy decision and play. 

Don't forget his stupid decision to try throwing the football 2 yards beyond the LOS and getting a penalty that results in loss of down (But no incomplete pass to hurt those stats!!!) with a 3rd and massively long.

Or the next stupid decision on the very next play on 3rd and long to scramble for 3 yards rather than trying to throw for the 1st down. No incomplete pass there, either, plus 3 yards in the positive on the ground for his rushing stats...

PUNT. 

A 3 & out drive that consisted of 1 incomplete pass (the awful sideline one that shoulda been picked) and 3 rushing yards despite the fact that the reality there is that Peterman was AWFUL.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I seen Peterman avoid pressure and make a nice throw to Kelvin Benjamin on the sideline. I seen the line getting pushed back on his drives but his quick pass negated it. 

Then I seen AJ get destroyed and I didn't think he played great in his first game. 

I'll tell you something, Josh Allen is looking good buddy. Just Peterman isn't so bad or lucky. He gets the job done and it's adequate. 

“I seen?”

:doh:

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Pathetic. Peterman 85% over two games - leading effective drives against a great Carolina D, and lifting his 3rd string scrubs above their level against Cleveland. yeah, but he's garbage.

Meanwhile Allen goes 48% against Carolina's 3rd team, not elevating anyone ont hat unit, and beats up on the 2nd string Browns who just went 0-16, but he's Jesus.

How pathetically delusional. You don't have to say Peterman is a great player to acknowledge he's had a phenomenal pre-season by any standard. Your fanboysim is so juvenile.

tenor.gif?itemid=4574868

4 minutes ago, eball said:

“I seen?”

:doh:

I witnessed it through YouTube video on my mobile phone. Now give me a good job. Peterman made the payday throw. 

Edited by Lfod

13 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Sing to melody of Jukebox Hero

"He's a pre season hero"

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BurpleBull said:

Based on what?

The Chargers' game from last year or is it the out route throw?

Assuming both are named starters...Nathan Peterman vs. Tyrod Taylor.

Right out the gate, I thought Peterman was better at going through his progressions and finding the open man than Taylor. 

That's kind of important.

There is no question. Tyrod Taylor > Nathan Peterman. It isn't close.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Don't forget his stupid decision to try throwing the football 2 yards beyond the LOS and getting a penalty that results in loss of down (But no incomplete pass to hurt those stats!!!) with a 3rd and massively long.

nasty Nate gets more penalties on him than any other QB I've ever seen. He had one in the playoff game and pretty sure he got one called on him in the snow game.

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That was Tasker who is always wrong. Just do yourself a favor and look at the play yourself. There are three total receivers to the right and three total defenders. To the left there is the safety and more defenders than receivers. Unless you want to give Peterman credit for being able to count to four, there was no sleuthing going on when he was reading the defense. If you go watch the play and come back here and try to explain why that was some really smart play it will be embarrassing. That was the only play. As soon as Peterman dropped back instantly he saw O'Leary's guy blitzing and O'Leary completely uncovered. It was a high school play. 

It wasn’t Tasker.   The game announcers were not the local Bills announcers.  

My post want about any blind support of Nate.  More to the issue of people no longer giving the kid any credit.  

Just now, ShadyBillsFan said:

My post want about any blind support of Nate.  More to the issue of people no longer giving the kid any credit.  

I thought there were different announcers depending on where you watched it.

For an eight year old. 

For an eight year old. 

For an eight year old. 

For an eight year old. 

Imagine that, one Peterman supporter and one QB-neutral Bills' fan, we both picked out the same piece in your comment that illustrates Peterman's recognition of the busted play...and of course your take overrides both.

You also failed to answer the question I posed in response in to your post:

Was the 'stupid 3 yard pass' to a covered receiver on 3rd and 6, before or after he brought the team back through the air?

I've said, and I'll stick to it, that whoever gives us the best chance to win should start at qb. Having said that, if Allen had Peterman's stats this pre season, people would be crowning him the next Brady. If Peterman never started that Chargers game last year and had the same stats this pre season, people would be in love with him. That Chargers game left an un healable scar for alot of fans. I'm convinced at this point that there is absolutely nothing Peterman could do that would change some fans minds 

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/sean-mcdermott-a-step-in-the-right-direction

1:27 Tells me all I need to know about McDermott's thought process. "He made the guys around him better". Before the game he said he wanted to see if Nate could elevate the guys around him. The fact that NP came in with he 3rd unit in the second Half told me it was likely he was trying to cement his choice about who should be #1 by seeing if NP could command a bunch of guys that wouldn't be on the team. McCarron and Josh Allen were auditioning for #2 unless NP fell apart.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/sean-mcdermott-a-step-in-the-right-direction

1:27 Tells me all I need to know about McDermott's thought process. "He made the guys around him better". Before the game he said he wanted to see if Nate could elevate the guys around him. The fact that NP came in with he 3rd unit in the second Half told me it was likely he was trying to cement his choice about who should be #1 by seeing if NP could command a bunch of guys that wouldn't be on the team. McCarron and Josh Allen were auditioning for #2 unless NP fell apart.

what?

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I thought there were different announcers depending on where you watched it.

NFL Network doesn't have a crew per se for these games. They just take the local broadcasts from each team. Sometimes they even split them up between halves. If it wasn't Tasker talking on the play it was Bernie Kosar the Cleveland local preseason analyst or the play by play guy. Regardless, it was not any kind of difficult read for anyone. 

12 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I give him credit where I believe it is warranted. He doesn't deserve any special credit on that particular play if you watch it with your own eyes. He threw a couple very nice passes in the game. One to O'Leary that was not the TD play and one to Proehl on the sideline. He also made a bunch of mistakes. 

33 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What false reality? 

Is this a joke?

You lost me at "Brah".

I think this actually serves as a window into your reality.

We're halfway through the Preseason!!! Predict who wins the starting QB job for Week 1

Multiple exclamation points ???

Check.

Those numbers do in fact reflect reality...brah.

10 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I've said, and I'll stick to it, that whoever gives us the best chance to win should start at qb. Having said that, if Allen had Peterman's stats this pre season, people would be crowning him the next Brady. If Peterman never started that Chargers game last year and had the same stats this pre season, people would be in love with him. That Chargers game left an un healable scar for alot of fans. I'm convinced at this point that there is absolutely nothing Peterman could do that would change some fans minds 

That's ridiculous. Stats tell only a small part of the story. People are not going crazy over Peterman's stats because of the kinds of throws he made and didn't make. If he threw some balls down the field or showed he could throw a deep out or deep dig then they would be giving him credit because he would have been showing things he hadn't shown before. We know he can do what he has been doing the two games. That's what's he's very good at. It's the stuff that a lot of fans think he hasn't shown or cannot do that he hasn't thrown. If all Allen has done is shown one thing, even if it was a deep ball there would be criticism of him. Like their was Tyrod. 

But Allen has already shown he can throw left, right or over the middle. Short, medium and long. Rolling left, right or in the pocket. He's shown it all. Nate has shown much less. He's done the same thing a bunch of times, stuff we knew he could do. 

17 minutes ago, BurpleBull said:

Was the 'stupid 3 yard pass' to a covered receiver on 3rd and 6, before or after he brought the team back through the air?

I didn't answer it because it makes no difference and has nothing to do with anything. It would have been a dumb play before, during or after the lead change. It forced a punt. And it was only his third or fourth worse mistake. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That's ridiculous. Stats tell only a small part of the story. People are not going crazy over Peterman's stats because of the kinds of throws he made and didn't make. If he threw some balls down the field or showed he could throw a deep out or deep dig then they would be giving him credit because he would have been showing things he hadn't shown before. We know he can do what he has been doing the two games. That's what's he's very good at. It's the stuff that a lot of fans think he hasn't shown or cannot do that he hasn't thrown. If all Allen has done is shown one thing, even if it was a deep ball there would be criticism of him. Like their was Tyrod. 

But Allen has already shown he can throw left, right or over the middle. Short, medium and long. Rolling left, right or in the pocket. He's shown it all. Nate has shown much less. He's done the same thing a bunch of times, stuff we knew he could do. 

The !@#$ing deep-out again.  I swear to god, it's been mentioned more in this thread than in the entirety of human history. I had no idea a 10 yard sideline pass was the holy grail of sports. Why even bother with a playbook, just run deep outs all game and may the best QB win.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Read slower. You'll get it.

I suppose I was having trouble understanding your wild assumption. I mean you came up with a reason why he was with the 3s but it didn't really make a lot of sense. From what I've been seeing the contest between AJ and Peterman was pretty neck and neck and it was AJ's turn in game 2. So that left the 2s and 3s but Allen had done well and people wanted to see him with and against better players so he got the 2s. That left the 3s for Peterman which seeing if he could elevate them any is about all you could look for with them.

4 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I suppose I was having trouble understanding your wild assumption. I mean you came up with a reason why he was with the 3s but it didn't really make a lot of sense. From what I've been seeing the contest between AJ and Peterman was pretty neck and neck and it was AJ's turn in game 2. So that left the 2s and 3s but Allen had done well and people wanted to see him with and against better players so he got the 2s. That left the 3s for Peterman which seeing if he could elevate them any is about all you could look for with them.

I got to that assumption because NP and AJ have been splitting #1 reps all off season with Allen getting minimal. Given game #3 is usually a dress rehearsal. game 2 is your last shot to get a look. Given Nate played well against the 1s last week, you really had 2 choices about how to play him this week. You could either start him again/split with McCarron to give a fair look, or let JA get his reps and see if Nate could perform without starting talent around him.

The only other possible explanation for Nate getting 3rd team reps would be that McD already made up his mind he's out of the competition, which i would consider HIGHLY unlikely given all play to this point. There's not a lot you can learn from 3rd team reps besides does the guy make others better or does poor talent drag him down . 

Edited by BullBuchanan

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I didn't answer it because it makes no difference and has nothing to do with anything. It would have been a dumb play before, during or after the lead change. It forced a punt. And it was only his third or fourth worse mistake. 

Oh, so now you've moved on to bigger and better things, like determining what questions are and are not relevant in a discussion.

I'll go back and pull it up for myself. 

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Nathan Peterman took the initial snap of individual drills in Bills practice Sunday, followed by Josh Allen. Reporters cannot watch 11-on-11 drills starting Sunday, but it is logical to assume Peterman will continue to lead the first-team offense for at least part of practice. AJ McCarron (right shoulder) is not practicing Sunday, along with DT Kyle Williams (knee).

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The !@#$ing deep-out again.  I swear to god, it's been mentioned more in this thread than in the entirety of human history. I had no idea a 10 yard sideline pass was the holy grail of sports. Why even bother with a playbook, just run deep outs all game and may the best QB win.

I'm not sure Peterman was going to have time for anything but dink and dunk. If he can play the same way during the season and it leads to points then it won't matter. Defense always plans to take away your strength.

Edited by Lfod

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Nathan Peterman took the initial snap of individual drills in Bills practice Sunday, followed by Josh Allen. Reporters cannot watch 11-on-11 drills starting Sunday, but it is logical to assume Peterman will continue to lead the first-team offense for at least part of practice. AJ McCarron (right shoulder) is not practicing Sunday, along with DT Kyle Williams (knee).

There is an interview with Micah Hyde where he talks about Allen playing with the 1s today as well.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Thank you (+1) 1