World Cup 2018 Thread

45 minutes ago, row_33 said:

imagine if in football you just punted on 2nd down the whole game,

Or, god forbid, rest your starters in a meaningless NFL regular season ending game if you've already locked your best possible playoff berth. No NFL team would ever do that...?

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

2 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Or, god forbid, rest your starters in a meaningless NFL regular season ending game if you've already locked your best possible playoff berth. No NFL team would ever do that...?

Or build an entire hockey team incapable of winning games to give you better chance of drafting 1st overall...

• Sad 1

Just now, Jon in Pasadena said:

And still manage, somehow, to !@#$ that up...

Don't you worry, and I take no joy in saying this, England will find a way to fudge it up too.  They'll beat a tough Colombia and then trip up against Sweden/Switz.

42 minutes ago, stony said:

Don't you worry, and I take no joy in saying this, England will find a way to fudge it up too.  They'll beat a tough Colombia and then trip up against Sweden/Switz.

Well, I'm locked into Japan for family reasons, but they have a tough row to hoe with Belgium, and then if by some miracle they win, next facing the winner of Brazil/Mex...:death:

I think that this might actually be the year that England manages to make it to the finals and then break their fans' hearts.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

Brazil looked really good in their last group game.  Something clicked for them and they looked like themselves again for the first time in a while.  That's scary.  That Brazil vs Mexico game on Monday is a must watch for me.  I'm rooting for Mexico, but they will have to play at their absolute best to have a chance.

I agree that quite a few teams have a real shot.  It's interesting to see which teams get better as the tournament goes on and who's willing to give that extra effort and to grind out the close ones.  I really can't guess who will win it.  Brazil, Belgium, Uruguay, Croatia, Portugal, England. Spain,... who knows.

On 6/28/2018 at 12:53 PM, Jon in Pasadena said:

You should write to FIFA with your recommendations on the proper way to qualify teams for the WC.  I'm sure they'll be very interested in your ideas.

If you do you better send a check with it, otherwise it is guaranteed to be ignored.   On the other hand, if the check is really big they will be glad to change the format to anything you like.

1 hour ago, Greybeard said:

If you do you better send a check with it, otherwise it is guaranteed to be ignored.   On the other hand, if the check is really big they will be glad to change the format to anything you like.

You can buy Paris St Germain and get your country to host the next WC although you have no stadiums and the temperature will be 50 Celsius. And take down the reputation of one of the most respected former players Of the game.

27 minutes ago, eball said:

Am I watching a soccer game with actual scoring and excitement?  Holy cow, now 4-2 Les Bleus!

Seriously, I woke up for the second half and that was quite a treat.   Can't believe Argentina had a final shot to tie the game.  Glad they are done.

8 hours ago, B-Man said:

Soccer-injury.jpg?resize=508%2C594

For sure, if there is one thing I can't stand about the game its the embellishing of fouls.   They should institute a rule for that like they do in the NHL.   And the begging after just about every tackle.  There is more begging in a non-american football ( I didn't want to say Soccer) game than there is on the streets of Mexico City.

Edited by Greybeard

Got the official lipread transcript on CR7???

Those seemed like some not nice universal English words... he did a stint in the Premier League

Edited by row_33

28 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Wow, Russia just showed Spain what they can do with their tiki-taka.  Huge upset!

Russia just showed the world how anti-football is played. 11 players in front of goal for 120minutes. Playing bunker ball as if they were a High School team playing Spain. Embarrassing display. 

Yeh, Spain didn’t play well (hard to do when there are 20 players in a 20yd space on the field) but at least they were trying. 

Russia’s game was simply to do everything except play football. And they got rewarded for it. 

Edited by bobobonators

Portugal and Spain go home as total stubborn fools

you killed each other needlessly in your little group game and had nothing in the tank for Russia and Uruguay who tapdanced and coasted to the next round

Edited by row_33

The bracket has now become severely unbalanced. One finalist will come from a tough group consisting of two pre-World Cup favorites, Brazil and France, plus Belgium and Uruguay which are playing quite well, and Mexico and Japan. The other finalist will be either Russia, Croatia, Sweden, Switzerland, England, or Colombia. England might have a good chance to emerge from the second group, but will have little chance in the final. 

Edited by DrW

Often happens that way when you don’t reseed, for hoops and tennis and soccer

Portugal was on the grossly weak side in Euro 2016 and won it all

Germany and Italy and France were on the harder side

But we are weighing team strengths based on past results which may mean nothing

also why I hoped England tanked to Belgium to get to the weak side

THe West overall is way stronger in the NHL for a long time now and the East wins the Stanley Cup the last 3 season

Edited by row_33

7 hours ago, bobobonators said:

Russia just showed the world how anti-football is played. 11 players in front of goal for 120minutes. Playing bunker ball as if they were a High School team playing Spain. Embarrassing display. 

Yeh, Spain didn’t play well (hard to do when there are 20 players in a 20yd space on the field) but at least they were trying. 

Russia’s game was simply to do everything except play football. And they got rewarded for it. 

When the underlying sport is a hopelessly flawed pile of crap, this type of thing happens.  College hoop before a shot click times 100.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

When the underlying sport is a hopelessly flawed pile of crap...

That’s one way of looking at it.  A boring, unnecessarily antagonistic way, but whatever...

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why someone would waste the energy to try to make an argument to try to discredit something that people enjoy.  Especially inside of a thread made for those who are fans of that thing.  A discussion which you could so easily ignore.

What an arrogant, ignorant, smug position.  You’re right and millions of fans are wrong.  I hope you’ll accept my apology for enjoying something that you consider unworthy.

Aren’t you and row33 due back in PPP for a rally or something?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cugalabanza said:

That’s one way of looking at it.  A boring, unnecessarily antagonistic way, but whatever...

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why someone would waste the energy to try to make an argument to try to discredit something that people enjoy.  Especially inside of a thread made for those who are fans of that thing.  A discussion which you could so easily ignore.

What an arrogant, ignorant, smug position.  You’re right and millions of fans are wrong.  I hope you’ll accept my apology for enjoying something that you consider unworthy.

Aren’t you and row33 due back in PPP for a rally or something?

Ok sorry dude.  Seriously.  

I love baseball and lots of people hate it and call it boring.  Most of their arguments are borne in lack of understanding of the game.  I don't know a lot about soccer so maybe I'm guilty of the same thing, but if all the fans are complaining about something completely legal, then shouldn't a rule be changed like college hoop did?  No shot clock in college hoop made it a hopelessly flawed pile of crap.

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Ok sorry dude.  Seriously.  

I love baseball and lots of people hate it and call it boring.  Most of their arguments are borne in lack of understanding of the game.  I don't know a lot about soccer so maybe I'm guilty of the same thing, but if all the fans are complaining about something completely legal, then shouldn't a rule be changed like college hoop did?  No shot clock in college hoop made it a hopelessly flawed pile of crap.

I only watch soccer for two weeks every four years, but seems to me it's primarily the casual fans complaining about a surprising outcome.

But maybe I'm out of touch.  I'm old enough to remember the days when people liked upsets and thought they made for a more interesting tournament.

Edited by KD in CA

9 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I only watch soccer for two weeks every four years, but seems to me it's primarily the casual fans complaining about a surprising outcome.

But maybe I'm out of touch.  I'm old enough to remember the days when people liked upsets and thought they made for a more interesting tournament.

Mountains of stats and lack of context are the world of sports these days

——————

three good elimination games so far and one snooze to end it yesterday, Croatia and Denmark can’t play inspiring football 

should be a good one this morning and could not care less about the other game