World Cup 2018 Thread

and this is the hard part, most soccer games are like a boxing title fight where the better fighter knocks down the weaker one easily in the 2nd round, then doesn't bother attacking the last 10 rounds

Uruguay up 1-0 on a patsy and will back the bus in for the rest of the game unless they really can't help scoring

if i'm up 1-0 you can take 10,000 shots at me as long as you don't score...

the nuances of this game, one of the bad parts, you can't force teams to try their best out there, and they gleefully refuse to...

8 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Didn't even see this.

Well seeing as how the Analysts from the World Cup said the same thing as me about the Portuguese defense, maybe they should learn something about the sport. Oh wait, they are former players and coaches

Portugal were crap.  Your analysis was correct.  Ronaldo has a Portuguses passport, that was the only thing they had going for them. 

Also, f*@k Pepe.

Portugal scored early and won.... 100% mission accomplished...

keep rolling on the floor crying like this was anything but a bogus game the whole time

games HOPEFULLY worth watching this set:

Argentina/Croatia (loser goes home basically)

Germany/Sweden (Germany can no longer flake off the next two games)

the rest aren't worth it, an easy 8 for 8 heading into Arg/Cro tomorrow

so Porto fans, who do you want in the round of 16????

Russia or Uruguay???

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Portugal scored early and won.... 100% mission accomplished...

keep rolling on the floor crying like this was anything but a bogus game the whole time

games HOPEFULLY worth watching this set:

Argentina/Croatia (loser goes home basically)

Germany/Sweden (Germany can no longer flake off the next two games)

the rest aren't worth it, an easy 8 for 8 heading into Arg/Cro tomorrow

Croatia can lose and still comfortably advance. 

Argentina will claw eyes out before it goes home in the first round

Iceland will play their ghost-mystery game and somehow stay alive and maybe win

Croatia, even with 4 top world players is perhaps the most vulnerable

looking forward to a great game tomorrow with Arg/Cro, we sure are owed one after these 8 clunkers heading into it.

----------------------------------------

the last three WC champions dogged games in their group rounds

German tied Ghana!!! and laughed to a 1-0 win over the US

Spain lost to Switerland the first game

Italy goofed around tied the US (the shame of it all) and moved on to glory, while fans were jumping off ledges, they also goofed around when they won it in 1982

it's all about moving on with minimal effort and getting ready for that nutcracker of 4 games in humid weather in a short span of time when it really counts....

Spain has historically had trouble scoring, they import all their hammers for club glory

Messi, Cruyff, Schuster, Puskas, Di Stefano, CR7, Bale, Greizmann  can't save them now

:D

i predict..... a penalty in Spain's favour in the 88th minute if they need it....

Edited by row_33

So all 3 favoured teams today scored and then backed the bus in and didn’t care what happened as long as the other team didn’t score

soccer teams do this 90 percent of the time in tournies and I wish the game could find a way to stop this happening 

shrug....

Iran-Spain was entertaining.  Even though Spain played it safe, Iran had several near goals.  And Spain's passing is a thing of beauty.  I prefer English attacking style, but Spain controls the match

10 hours ago, Pete said:

Iran-Spain was entertaining.  Even though Spain played it safe, Iran had several near goals.  And Spain's passing is a thing of beauty.  I prefer English attacking style, but Spain controls the match

I would hope the trailing team has plenty of chances when the team up 1-0 is doing nothing but full turtle shell playing the odds the weaker team can’t score in the last 60 or so minutes.

3 for 3 yesterday with that jaded strategy of walking away with a 1-0 win and no attack mode the second they took the lead

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I would hope the trailing team has plenty of chances when the team up 1-0 is doing nothing but full turtle shell playing the odds the weaker team can’t score in the last 60 or so minutes.

3 for 3 yesterday with that jaded strategy of walking away with a 1-0 win and no attack mode the second they took the lead

I think pacing themselves has something to do with it. Preserve your energy and don't show all your cards when there's still plenty of tournament left to play.

The chess match isn't just this one game.

14 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I think pacing themselves has something to do with it. Preserve your energy and don't show all your cards when there's still plenty of tournament left to play.

The chess match isn't just this one game.

Yup!!!

i watch games, rarely taking sides, just hoping to see athletic excellence and not feeling totally ripped off when it’s over. I kinda cheer for England but know they’ll fall apart early in the elimination rounds.

All that matters is getting to the marathon of up to 4 grueling games in high humidity and little recovery time in the next round.

Argentina and Germany are seriously up against the wall today and tomorrow and hopefully we get to see the best of them on display.

And I miss Italy so much already, the fun and fan passion is missing.... the absence is keenly felt in Toronto

—————————

so.... if you are down 1–0 and the other team won’t try to score until you do.....

your hope is basically a goal from a set piece which you have an expert to take them

or you work into a penalty shot, but that takes a high amount of skill to earn one and you can’t even set that up 

it’s so hard to score normally when a talented opponent is 100 percent set on nothing but playing D

Peru played well, just outclassed. You can only make up that difference with so much energy before you wear down. I thought they played the first half perfectly then just ran out of steam in the second, pretty unlucky to concede the first goal...if they go into halftime 0-0 I think they could have made it a contest. Props to France for playing the favorite role as well as they did. 

Small gripe w/ Mbappe's attitude but then I remembered he's only 19. 

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Peru played well, just outclassed. You can only make up that difference with so much energy before you wear down. I thought they played the first half perfectly then just ran out of steam in the second, pretty unlucky to concede the first goal...if they go into halftime 0-0 I think they could have made it a contest. Props to France for playing the favorite role as well as they did. 

Small gripe w/ Mbappe's attitude but then I remembered he's only 19. 

sounded like a good game

France tends to underplay it's dominant talent, makes it hard to judge their overall worth, they always have both eyes on the round of 16.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, row_33 said:

So all 3 favoured teams today scored and then backed the bus in and didn’t care what happened as long as the other team didn’t score

soccer teams do this 90 percent of the time in tournies and I wish the game could find a way to stop this happening 

shrug....

Outlaw the left wing lock!

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Outlaw the left wing lock!

and the NJ Devil's neutral zone trap

soccer is often a better game to dream about the artistry of,  than to actually sit there and watch it....  :D

i've told my Serbian friends that a man named Liechsteiner (sp) is going to make them want to punch him in the face 100 times during tomorrow's game....

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

sounded like a good game

France tends to underplay it's dominant talent often, makes it hard to judge their overall worth, they always have both eyes on the round of 16.

They need Pogba to start asserting himself. Between Griezmann and Kante they have a great collection of complementary talent, plus Mbappe can change a game by himself...they just looked content to be the better team instead of asserting themselves. But overall they just took care of business like they should. Elimination rounds should bring out their best, from a pure talent standpoint I think they have the best team on paper. Stacked at the back with Varane and Umtiti plus that guy Pavard was really solid today, Kante (who's fantastic and a great partner for an offensive-minded midfield Pogba) in the middle, Griezmann w/Giroud up front is a good match...I mean anytime you can bring a guy like Dembele off the bench you know your squad is pretty deep. 

I also think Croatia is about to give Argentina everything they can handle. Might be the best game of group play.

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They need Pogba to start asserting himself. Between Griezmann and Kante they have a great collection of complementary talent, plus Mbappe can change a game by himself...they just looked content to be the better team instead of asserting themselves. But overall they just took care of business like they should. Elimination rounds should bring out their best, from a pure talent standpoint I think they have the best team on paper. Stacked at the back with Varane and Umtiti plus that guy Pavard was really solid today, Kante (who's fantastic and a great partner for an offensive-minded midfield Pogba) in the middle, Griezmann w/Giroud up front is a good match...I mean anytime you can bring a guy like Dembele off the bench you know your squad is pretty deep. 

I also think Croatia is about to give Argentina everything they can handle. Might be the best game of group play.

looking hugely forward to Arg/Croa

France shrugs and meh....  they've won it all, they've also gone home without even trying to break a sweat....

agreed they are very stacked, but we'll see what happens, they should get the runner up of the Arg/Cro/Ice group of death first.....

they may also tank the next game and move to the other side just as easily... i'd much rather take on Japan or whatever....

hope to see everyone give their best when it matters, that's all i ask.

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Looks like they made Argentina their B word.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

That they did. Argentina completely embarrassed.

The game play was largely even.  Argentina controlled the ball more but didn't threaten much at all.  One horrible error by the Argentine goalie changed the game and two counter attack goals in the last 10 minutes sealed it. 

2 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The game play was largely even.  Argentina controlled the ball more but didn't threaten much at all.  One horrible error by the Argentine goalie changed the game and two counter attack goals in the last 10 minutes sealed it. 

Oh man not for me. The first goal was a bad mistake for sure, but I thought Croatia was always the aggressor, more positive in possession, definitely surer on defense, and just generally looked the more dangerous side. Argentina suffered the same way Germany did against Mexico in a complete lack of ideas going forward...the ball just stuck in midfield and was either forced into Messi or played wide in safe positions with no support to go toward goal. Croatia wasn’t really troubled in the second half at all.

Argentina have the look of a team that doesn’t believe in their strategy or each other. They are so far off from how in past WCs they used possession to demoralize opponents and were always positive and in control on offense...it’s amazing how different this team looks. They were hesitant and just lacked confidence. I thought Croatia were vastly superior today, 3-0 was deserved imo.

Messi was never as good as Maradona

Diego took a totally nothing team at Napoli to the top of Italian football, won a World Cup with little support and got to another WC final on his own

bur a true midfielder with attacking powers is more valuable than a forward who dazzled in the penalty area

10 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Not for that dive but he just got one now.

What horrible acting. Im glad they have VAR

Anyone else kinda happy to see Brazil not doing so well?

Brazil just needs one win, they'll crush Serbia if they have to, Brazil is doing just fine but obviously not trying their best

This bodes well for Brazil, the last 3 champions dicked around the whole group thing and then played when it mattered

2 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Not for that dive but he just got one now.

What horrible acting. Im glad they have VAR

Anyone else kinda happy to see Brazil not doing so well?

I'm torn with Brazil. Love their footballing history, incredibly fond of the likes of Coutinho. Won't lie that I had a chuckle to myself when the decision got overturned though.

Just now, Blokestradamus said:

I'm torn with Brazil. Love their footballing history, incredibly fond of the likes of Coutinho. Won't lie that I had a chuckle to myself when the decision got overturned though.

I just feel like they have won it so many times, I would like to see someone else

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

I took a test on a link in Facebook.

From my answers,I'm supposed to cheer for Costa Rica. 

I've been impressed by their play.

OR.... you could cheer for Portugal with me :)

Just saying

UPDATE:

Crap...1-0 Brazil in injury time