World Cup 2018 Thread

16 minutes ago, CowgirlsFan said:

Was this considered an upset?

Iceland has never come out and really beaten a good team, they just sit back and pounce on mistakes and then stall the last 70 minutes and move on without a good reason why

Nobody can really tell how good teams are from Africa, Cameroon a few times has gone far into the playoff rounds....

It's a surprise, but finally Iceland has been exposed

44 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

They almost pulled out a win!

a few co-workers from there were way into it, the first time I've seen them care about a sporting event

so do you want Portugal to face Russia or Uruguay in the first elimination game???

[Portugal is NOT losing to Iran, don't worry all that much]

38 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

They really upped their game in the second half, I thought. With the chances they got, that game could've easily been 4-0.

you can't force the better team to try their best....

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Loving VAR. Great move and I hope it becomes the norm in all high level matches.  Cleaning up a lot of controversies.  

But replay causes a different and worse problem when relied on, the NBA had four vital and bad situations by relying on replay in the semi finals and finals

I rarely cheer for a team or athlete, I just want to see the best play, and I’m routinely ticked off by the inconsistency of use and how they don’t call what is clearly there. Or they have ready excuses to ignore what is clearly there.

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

But replay causes a different and worse problem when relied on, the NBA had four vital and bad situations by relying on replay in the semi finals and finals

I rarely cheer for a team or athlete, I just want to see the best play, and I’m routinely ticked off by the inconsistency of use and how they don’t call what is clearly there. Or they have ready excuses to ignore what is clearly there.

Its been perfect in the World Cup. Can’t speak to the NBA usage. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Good work Mexico, they attacked  Germany preemptively and earned the spot in the next round

Best to remove all doubt playing your best in the second hardest group

I love that the play by play guy said everything  is going well, 5 minutes  to go, no homophobic slurs....

German-Sweden match was excellent.  Germany was behind most of the game.  Sweden got jobbed out of a penalty kick, and played great.  Chippy play.  All 3 goals excellent.  Game winner game scored with less than a minute of stoppage time left.  Just an incredible strike!  Sweden-Mexico will be excellent game, and probably an elimination game.  Wednesday should be fantastic soccer

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

German-Sweden match was excellent.  Germany was behind most of the game.  Sweden got jobbed out of a penalty kick, and played great.  Chippy play.  All 3 goals excellent.  Game winner game scored with less than a minute of stoppage time left.  Just an incredible strike!  Sweden-Mexico will be excellent game, and probably an elimination game.  Wednesday should be fantastic soccer

Especially, because it will determine where Brazil and Germany will end up in their respective group. It is pretty likely that both make it into the next round; but if one of them ends up at #1 of their group and the other one at #2 (a scenario which is rather probable), the Brazil - Germany game that many pundits expected as the final will be played in the round of 16 instead.

It’s not excellent when a team does nothing but try not to let a goal in, rags the puck the whole game

its why North America will never love the game, wussy tactics like this don’t fly if you watch other sports

Edited by row_33

16 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s not excellent when a team does nothing but try not to let a goal in, rags the puck the whole game

its why North America will never love the game, wussy tactics like this don’t fly if you watch other sports

Well, I may be provincial, but I have to agree that sort of thing keeps me from being anything more than a casual fan. I watch World Cup and pick a team for laughs. I'm for Croatia this time. Argentina seemed a bunch of bad sports.

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I may be provincial, but I have to agree that sort of thing keeps me from being anything more than a casual fan. I watch World Cup and pick a team for laughs. I'm for Croatia this time. Argentina seemed a bunch of bad sports.

A lot of the love for soccer is the kind where you don’t watch it, you just dream a fantasy about how awesome it is and don’t watch it closely......

so South Korea could advance and Mexico could get bounced....  Mexico can’t take a dive against Sweden, they want a tie or win

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

A lot of the love for soccer is the kind where you don’t watch it, you just dream a fantasy about how awesome it is and don’t watch it closely......

Hell, that's how I watch golf.  I put in on because golf courses are pretty and I don't really care who wins.

7 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Hell, that's how I watch golf.  I put in on because golf courses are pretty and I don't really care who wins.

I still have wishes of majors for Tiger.....

i watch three soccer games a week for decades and always laugh how fans who don’t watch at all become experts at World Cup time

it is amusing unless they get snippy and pissy with me, thinking Tunisia is a powerhouse and Belgium whipping them means Belgium is the best team in the tourney...

yeah okay....

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

I still have wishes of majors for Tiger.....

i watch three soccer games a week for decades and always laugh how fans who don’t watch T all become experts at World Cup time

it is amusing unless they get snippy and pissy with me, thinking Tunisia is a powerhouse and Belgium whipping them means Belgium is the best team out there.

yeah okay....

I would like to see Tiger win again, but it seems like a pipedream, alas.

3 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Women that I know would not like that at all

I read a long article a couple years back about Tiger and his father. He had a lot of issues and acted badly towards his wife, but I still believe he is a flawed, but decent fella at heart. I can understand if others feel differently.

15 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Loving VAR. Great move and I hope it becomes the norm in all high level matches.  Cleaning up a lot of controversies.  

Sounds like what people were saying after the first few weeks of NFL replay.  Now it's a gigantic cluster!@#$.

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

I read a long article a couple years back about Tiger and his father. He had a lot of issues and acted badly towards his wife, but I still believe he is a flawed, but decent fella at heart. I can understand if others feel differently.

I never think about athletic personal lives unless they are committing felonies 

And again all the women in my life despise him.... I know when to shut up.....

10 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Sounds like what people were saying after the first few weeks of NFL replay.  Now it's a gigantic cluster!@#$.

People just want all the calls to go the way of the team they are cheering for.

this will not solve that in the least bit, it makes people angrier because you are wasting their time and they just make up whatever they want anyway with replay

are Bills fans happy with replay getting justice for the Bills with officials???  ?

————————

in fact the WC is kind of a bad time for real fans because of all the non-fans jumping into it with no knowledge about the sport

like that beta man at work who is suddenly a big NFL fan on Super Bowl weekend, knows nothing about football, couldn’t name two players but is convinced he has complete knowledge of he sport and can lecture you, a season ticket holder for 30 years

19 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

I cannot believe how bad Panama is. They don't deserve to play on the same pitch as England.

Panama is underrated.  Qualifying in CONCACAF is hard...

Signed,

The USMNT

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, stony said:

Panama is underrated.  Qualifying in CONCACAF is hard...

Signed,

The USMNT

I bet the US could have made it in if we only had to fight Trinidad or Tobago. Both islands together are just too powerful!  UNFAIR!

Edited by Jon in Pasadena
  • Haha (+1) 2