World Cup 2018 Thread

2 hours ago, Cugalabanza said:

Hard to say.  It’s pretty wide open.  Germany’s out.  Spain & Brazil look ok, but not great.  Portugal, Croatia, Uruguay, England, Sweden...all very much in the mix.  Makes it a fun tournament in my opinion.

Belgium is the real deal. Only England has looked better. Croatia needs to prove they can play with the big boys. 

2 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

Belgium is the real deal. Only England has looked better. Croatia needs to prove they can play with the big boys. 

Now that Germany is out, I also have high hopes for Belgium. To their advantage, I think they do not really care about if they play number one or number two of group H in the next round (Japan, Senegal, or Columbia). Thus, they can afford to rest Lukaku (injury) and De Bruyne (one yellow card) against England.

58 minutes ago, DrW said:

Now that Germany is out, I also have high hopes for Belgium. To their advantage, I think they do not really care about if they play number one or number two of group H in the next round (Japan, Senegal, or Columbia). Thus, they can afford to rest Lukaku (injury) and De Bruyne (one yellow card) against England.

England and Belgium could both be playing to lose. Winner gets nothing. 

The World Cup has never been more up for grabs than this year.

Italy and Holland don't even qualify.  Germany leaves at the group stage.  Brazil is still quite average and looks like the team that was destroyed by Germany 7-1 four years ago.   Argentina is completely lost right now.  

Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Croatia...good teams, but none are great.

It's wide open.   Would love to see a first time winner pull it off.

The dream and thought of the game is more enjoyable than sitting there watching for 90 minutes with  the feeling of being totally ripped off when it’s over.

10 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

England and Belgium could both be playing to lose. Winner gets nothing. 

Yeah. Kind of ruins the potential of a great matchup.

14 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I hope England play as strong a team as possible tonight. Beat whatever team Belgium put out and move on to the next stage with confidence and swagger. 

Right. That should be the goal.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

The dream and thought of the game is more enjoyable than sitting there watching for 90 minutes with  the feeling of being totally ripped off when it’s over.

You've been complaining about this throughout the whole thread.

We get it. We'll never watch a soccer game with you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You've been complaining about this throughout the whole thread.

We get it. We'll never watch a soccer game with you.

Some people are like this. We make him happy so let him be. 

Agreed that Belgium England would be such a great match if there was something on the line. Oh well. 

I just came here to say soccer sux.

Okay... Not really... I figure you fan boys need a little guff and toughing up.  One can get a little desensitized watching all that flopping around.

No offense... Just kidding around keeping everybody out of their safe zone. ?

I really do appeciate the game, not as much as you super fans... But I do.  I like seeing the underdog win.  Germany fans crying, because they have been eliminated in Match Play for the first time since the 1930s, is a beautiful thing.

There really is hope for this game. Maybe it can become more competitive with different teams?

Oh... Not asking to go easy on me.  That's for the potheads in the other thread.  Give it both barrels if you choose to decent against my smooth as a burlap bag critique of the game.

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I really do appeciate the game, not as much as you super fans... But I do.  I like seeing the underdog win.  Germany fans crying, because they have been eliminated in Match Play for the first time since the 1930s, is a beautiful thing.

There really is hope for this game. Maybe it can become more competitive with different teams?

I don't mind Germany as a nation and the Germans are very decent folk. Probably as culturally close to us Brits as any other nation really. The only thing that made me happy about them being knocked out early is they won't be the team knocking England out this time!

I think the World Cup can be more competitive at the group stage if they were to invite the top 32 teams in terms of the FIFA rankings as opposed to teams qualifying via the regional tournaments. That would mean it would be even more overloaded with European and South American teams. 

You'll see more less competitive games when the competition goes to 48 teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I don't mind Germany as a nation and the Germans are very decent folk. Probably as culturally close to us Brits as any other nation really. The only thing that made me happy about them being knocked out early is they won't be the team knocking England out this time!

I think the World Cup can be more competitive at the group stage if they were to invite the top 32 teams in terms of the FIFA rankings as opposed to teams qualifying via the regional tournaments. That would mean it would be even more overloaded with European and South American teams. 

You'll see more less competitive games when the competition goes to 48 teams. 

The level of football will take a dip, too.

I think a poor advertisement of the 48-team expansion was this past Euros.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, stony said:

the level of play at the World Cup is mid-level if you watch all during the year and see the top 12 or so club teams play weekly

any of those 12 would wipe out the World Cup champion with ease

the World Cup is about trying to hide horrible roster spots and getting out of there with a 0-0 tie or penalty kicks if you are the weaker team

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

the level of play at the World Cup is mid-level if you watch all during the year and see the top 12 or so club teams play weekly

the World Cup is about trying to hide horrible roster spots and getting out of there with a 0-0 tie or penalty kicks if you are the weaker team

I know, Row.  You've made this point 20 times in this thread.  I watch club football all year long, and the top teams are undoubtedly better. No secret there.  

My point is, the level of play will further decline with the inclusion of more teams.  But hey!! At least the bean counters are happy.

15 minutes ago, stony said:

Without a doubt.

Throw in the amount of money it's going to cost me helping my son complete his Panini sticker album it's going to be a long summer that year! 

32 minutes ago, row_33 said:

The horse is dead from the beating brother. 

The fun of the World Cup is seeing people play for country. Of course they have no chemistry and aren’t the best teams!

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Without a doubt.

Throw in the amount of money it's going to cost me helping my son complete his Panini sticker album it's going to be a long summer that year! 

The best soccer is cheering for your local team who sometimes gets a fat cat to show up,  year in and year out, actually say hello to the players when you chance upon them at the grocery store, trying to avoid relegation or accepting that a lower division is how it will be for the next 50 years.

at the same time the party of the World Cup is fun, Italy is sorely missed in Toronto.....  and we get some good thrills watching World Cup action.

forcing Messi out of his comfort at Barca isn't the best the game can offer.

the top priority of the stars is to keep cashing those cheques at the club level, for as long as they can.

It has to be more to people than the way they tune in for swimming and track at the Olympics....

In hockey we try this as well, Canada tries to throw a bunch of superstars together for the odd national tourney with a couple of practices and it just doesn't work.

9 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

The fun of the World Cup is seeing people play for country. Of course they have no chemistry and aren’t the best teams!

not really, all i hear from media and people is how this is the best the sport can offer.

if you want to get snide, then at least be consistent in your attack... eh????????????????  

Following your local team does have more meaning and you do feel more in common with those players. The lows do massively outweigh the highs unless you follow one of the top 5 Premier league teams.

However, a World Cup win for England would mean a lot to more people and the whole nation would celebrate. How they would celebrate and for how long is a worry! ?

As for international football, I used it to follow England and see some of the world I wouldn't get to see following my club side. I'm not as patriotic as I was 15-20 years ago but I'd shed a tear if England were to win. 

8 minutes ago, Doc said:

Can anyone tell me the wisdom of putting 2 WC matches on at the same damn time like they did yesterday?

To try and reduce the collusion between teams at the end of the group stage I.e if one game finishes before the other and the teams in the second game knew a draw would be enough for both teams to go through they'd probably play out a very, very drab affair. 

Of course in this day and age it's fairly easy to find out a soccer score but FIFA have to be seen doing the right thing and kicking the final group games off at the same time.

Edited by BritBill

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

Can anyone tell me the wisdom of putting 2 WC matches on at the same damn time like they did yesterday?

Yes.

They don't want any team to benefit from the knowledge of what happened in a game prior to theirs.  It increases competitiveness in that manner.

Let's say I am playing at 2pm, but the outcome of your game at 10:00am dictates what happens to me.  I.E., if you win, I automatically go through; if you lose to your opponent, I have to win by 2 goals.  If I actually play later than you, and you win, I can rest my starters and the game doesn't really matter for me.

If we both play at the same time, I don't have the benefit of foreknowledge and have to give it my best shot.

It's quite smart that they do it the way they do.

26 minutes ago, BritBill said:

Following your local team does have more meaning and you do feel more in common with those players. The lows do massively outweigh the highs unless you follow one of the top 5 Premier league teams.

However, a World Cup win for England would mean a lot to more people and the whole nation would celebrate. How they would celebrate and for how long is a worry! ?

As for international football, I used it to follow England and see some of the world I wouldn't get to see following my club side. I'm not as patriotic as I was 15-20 years ago but I'd shed a tear if England were to win. 

With Italy, Germany, and USA all gone now, I will be cheering for England as greatly as anyone.

Would love to see them have a strong Cup. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

With Italy, Germany, and USA all gone now, I will be cheering for England as greatly as anyone.

Would love to see them have a strong Cup. 

Excellent.

The mood of the nation has lifted since Sunday. It shows the power of sport.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

not really, all i hear from media and people is how this is the best the sport can offer.

if you want to get snide, then at least be consistent in your attack... eh????????????????  

Not really sure who you're talking to with consistency in attack. I just noted that you keep making the same point (and did it again in this post)--we got it. No one really disagrees that Barca would mop up any country team. 

That doesn't mean the WC is not fun to watch. Country-based soccer is fun. It's good fun to mix and match the players. 

Europa Qualifying begins today

i see DRUIDS of Wales (guess there had to be one) is playing today against Trakai of Lithuania

these two would give a run to the Group H pile of garbage at the World Cup.

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Europa Qualifying begins today

i see DRUIDS of Wales (guess there had to be one) is playing today against Trakai of Lithuania

these two would give a run to the Group H pile of garbage at the World Cup.

You should write to FIFA with your recommendations on the proper way to qualify teams for the WC.  I'm sure they'll be very interested in your ideas.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

3 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

The fun of the World Cup is seeing people play for country.

Great big :thumbsup:

It's the World Cup!  It's special in a way that nothing else is.  All of the things about this tournament and about the game itself that people complain about...those are many of the things that make it most interesting, exciting, dramatic and fun (and occasionally hilarious) to me.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Cugalabanza said:

Great big :thumbsup:

It's the World Cup!  It's special in a way that nothing else is.  All of the things about this tournament and about the game itself that people complain about...those are many of the things that make it most interesting, exciting, dramatic and fun (and occasionally hilarious) to me.

You described it perfectly.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, stony said:

It'll go to tie-breakers, which as of now, Japan would advance.

Samurai Blue are through to Round of 16.  Next monday they will play either Belgium or England depending on results of that match today. If it's a draw, I think it comes down to yellow/red cards.

Edited by Jon in Pasadena

there you go Belgium, we couldn't possibly less about winning or taking 1st in the group

wow, isn't this the best?

this game craps the bed so often, North America will never be fooled

imagine if in football you just punted on 2nd down the whole game,

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

there you go Belgium, we couldn't possibly less about winning or taking 1st in the group

wow, isn't this the best?

this game craps the bed so often, North America will never be fooled

imagine if in football you just punted on 2nd down the whole game,

Ok, I don't think its that bad lol