RIP Anthony Bourdain

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

most of the mug shots for mass shooters taken in show them drugged up to their eyeballs with anti-D meds

So you can tell what kind of drugs someone is on (if any) based on a photo??  Note to self.  Never send row_33 a picture of Chef Jim

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That  is truly shocking...that can't be right, can it?

He might easily double that by dying, seriously. I’m still waiting for my backordered copy of Kitchen Confidential. All an artist has to do to make money is......die. How cruel! 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

He might easily double that by dying, seriously. I’m still waiting for my backordered copy of Kitchen Confidential. All an artist has to do to make money is......die. How cruel! 

Nah...something off here. Dude should have been making $3-5M a year last 10 years..no other kids..seem like clean so not going up his nose...something off here. 

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Nah...something off here. Dude should have been making $3-5M a year last 10 years..no other kids..seem like clean so not going up his nose...something off here. 

It DOES seem like something is off, but no idea what. Those sound like pretty specific numbers, so I wonder about  the source. Hell, Skip “Talentless”  Bayless makes $5.5 mil with a $4mil signing bonus. I don’t doubt Anthony was still into bad habits (he almost bragged about it in a weird way), but hard to blow that kind of cash. Even if it was blow, he’d have to add some serious gambling or something if this is true. And....it’s another addiction so who knows?  

Edited by Augie

14 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I’m not sure his pay (especially pre-cnn)... but I’m pretty sure he dug a hole his first 50 years, and even beyond having an ex wife and daughter, I’d guess he was anything but thrifty.

Edited by NoSaint

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

I thought he relapsed?

He clearly was drinking at will and “overtly hinted” at other stuff at times on camera. I wouldn’t doubt anything. Still, that should be a LOT of cash to burn through. Never underestimate an addict. 

33 minutes ago, Augie said:

Hendrix has been dead since 1970 and is still raking it in.  And that's after a 3-year career!

13 hours ago, Augie said:

You're welcome to borrow my copy.

13 hours ago, Augie said:

He clearly was drinking at will and “overtly hinted” at other stuff at times on camera. I wouldn’t doubt anything. Still, that should be a LOT of cash to burn through. Never underestimate an addict. 

I thought I heard something about going back on heroin.  Or being found with paraphernalia. 

Why does everyone think Bourdain should have been rich?  I doubt he ever made much working as a chef owning his own restaurant in NYC.

I guess he did a book deal, that should have helped, and lately he became a TV personality, but for how long, and how much does that gig on CNN pay?  

I do agree that 1.3 million or whatever seems low though..but how much more should he have had?

41 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Why does everyone think Bourdain should have been rich?  I doubt he ever made much working as a chef owning his own restaurant in NYC.

I guess he did a book deal, that should have helped, and lately he became a TV personality, but for how long, and how much does that gig on CNN pay?  

I do agree that 1.3 million or whatever seems low though..but how much more should he have had?

I don't think he ever owned a restuarant..but I may be wrong there. So no debt related to that.

That book alone I would have thought would have brought in a minimum of $1M to him

And I cant believe CNN was paying him any less than $1M a year to do his show...report said he had a mortgage for $1M, so that's not outrageous by any means.

I would have thought minimum $10M ...my only thought is dude had a serious gambling problem. I mean, I doubt he ever paid for a meal or a drink anywhere in the last 15 years.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I mean, I doubt he ever paid for a meal or a drink anywhere in the last 15 years.

Guy can't even defend himself and you're gonna call him a thief???

That's low, man.

This is an interview that Bourdain did about a year prior to his death.  It's about his views on money.  After reading it, it's even more odd to me that he only had $1.2 million.

https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-us/magazine/money-diary-anthony-bourdain

Edited by Gugny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I don't think he ever owned a restuarant..but I may be wrong there. So no debt related to that.

That book alone I would have thought would have brought in a minimum of $1M to him

And I cant believe CNN was paying him any less than $1M a year to do his show...report said he had a mortgage for $1M, so that's not outrageous by any means.

I would have thought minimum $10M ...my only thought is dude had a serious gambling problem. I mean, I doubt he ever paid for a meal or a drink anywhere in the last 15 years.

He must have blown a bunch of it somehow.  I believe he was a partner for Les Halles, a restaurant he was executive chef at while he was writing Kitchen Confidential.  The guy sold 3 NYT best-selling books, fer chrissakes.  Not to mention his career on television.  Doesn’t appear to be drugs.  Maybe it was gambling?  Weird...

5 hours ago, Doc said:

I thought I heard something about going back on heroin.  Or being found with paraphernalia. 

He was just holding it for a friend.....named Michael Irvin. 

Anthony Bourdain's will surprised lots of people when it was revealed he died with around $1.2 mil in assets, because everyone thought he was way richer ... turns out, he was.

We obtained a copy of Bourdain's will, and it appears he created a trust outside the will which contained an undisclosed amount of assets. It's very common for rich folk to create trusts outside of their will ... partly for tax purposes and partly for privacy. 

As we reported, the will discloses Bourdain left behind $425k in cash, $250k in personal property, $35k in brokerage accounts and around $500k in royalties and residuals.

The will lists Ottavia Busia-Bourdain, his estranged wife, as trustee. The will was signed in 2016, after they had separated.

http://www.tmz.com/2018/07/06/anthony-bourdain-will-trust-money-suicide/

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/6/2018 at 5:39 PM, Augie said:

He was just holding it for a friend.....named Michael Irvin. 

Catch Mark Langedan doing Strange Religion on the Seattle program...also listen to David McMillian on a podcast from TSN radio. Both can be found on the web...

On 7/6/2018 at 3:22 PM, Gugny said:

That's low, man.

This is an interview that Bourdain did about a year prior to his death.  It's about his views on money.  After reading it, it's even more odd to me that he only had $1.2 million.

That is a good read. Anthony reminds me a lot of myself and, to me, validates why I enjoyed his shows so much. I always wanted to drink some beers, smoke a joint and have dinner with that dude!

Only difference is I have held the same job for a long long time. Other MFers making more pay for less work come and go, but I do what I do because I love it and I am thankful for a comfortable life.

If I had more money, I would take care of others and fritter away the rest.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE

25 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

That is a good read. Anthony reminds me a lot of myself and, to me, validates why I enjoyed his shows so much. I always wanted to drink some beers, smoke a joint and have dinner with that dude!

Only difference is I have held the same job for a long long time. Other MFers making more pay for less work come and go, but I do what I do because I love it and I am thankful for a comfortable life.

If I had more money, I would take care of others and fritter away the rest.

And why he appealed to such a large cross section of people. 

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I thought this tribute from David Simon was proper.  

https://davidsimon.com/tony/

1 hour ago, stony said:

And why he appealed to such a large cross section of people. 

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I thought this tribute from David Simon was proper.  

https://davidsimon.com/tony/

His love, respect and compassion of people different from himself was Tony's best quality, and as you said, made himself loved by that very same cross section of humanity. I send much love, respect  and compassion toward his grave and choose to be as full of love, respect and compassion toward my fellow earthlings.

Edited by BUFFALOKIE
  • Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Watching the final episodes - so far they have been a mixed bag.  Indonesia episode he seems to be disinterested.  It feels forced, which was not like him in a normal time.

I’m a little past half way in Kitchen Confidential. (It took months to arrive after he passed, but I’m sure his daughter is all the better for that.)  I previously only knew him for the TV stuff, and didn’t realize just how bleak it was before that. Yes, I knew he was a heroin addict, but it seemed so strange because he was still such a partier years later, so maybe it wasn’t too bad? Yes, it was. You just never know with people. Being rich and famous can’t hold a candle to being happy. Ask Tony or Robin Williams. 

On 10/8/2018 at 9:07 PM, Augie said:

I’m a little past half way in Kitchen Confidential. (It took months to arrive after he passed, but I’m sure his daughter is all the better for that.)  I previously only knew him for the TV stuff, and didn’t realize just how bleak it was before that. Yes, I knew he was a heroin addict, but it seemed so strange because he was still such a partier years later, so maybe it wasn’t too bad? Yes, it was. You just never know with people. Being rich and famous can’t hold a candle to being happy. Ask Tony or Robin Williams. 

From where I sat as a fan, Tony always had an inner sadness and skepticism that were pretty easy to see.  It became more evident as the seasons of No Reservations proceeded.  By the time Parts Unknown came about, it was front and center imo.  It's pretty clear in watching his early seasons compared to his later stuff.  Sad indeed.      

1 hour ago, stony said:

From where I sat as a fan, Tony always had an inner sadness and skepticism that were pretty easy to see.  It became more evident as the seasons of No Reservations proceeded.  By the time Parts Unknown came about, it was front and center imo.  It's pretty clear in watching his early seasons compared to his later stuff.  Sad indeed.      

I didn’t watch that closely, so I can’t even say what was earlier vs later, but there was a difference in the energy, for sure. 

Edited by Augie

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

I didn’t watch that closely, so I can’t even say what was earlier vs later, but there was a difference in the energy, for sure. 

I  keep a 10% eye on the gossip and he had a rough run with his ex....  not delving enough to point fingers, but yikes...

On 7/6/2018 at 4:22 PM, Gugny said:

That's low, man.

Thanks, that’s actually very interesting as I’m about half way through Kitchen Confidential. I suppose he showed an enormous amount of personal growth, at least in that respect. I’m sure the trust had far more than disclosed in the will. (We signed new wills this week and as the attorney described it “this is just for the loose stuff that’s not already specifically covered in the trust”. I’m also sure he had a lot more digits in his....) 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1