Cavs, Bills, and Situational Awareness

4 hours ago, JP's Voice said:
I know that last night's game is being discussed in the NBA thread, but watching JR Smith's lack of situational awareness got me thinking about times that the Bills showed good situational awareness, or lack there of in the past.

The good:
- Fred Jackson not scoring against the Pats to eat the clock and eventually kick a GW FG
- Fred Jackson purposely dropping a dump-down @ the end of the game to preserve time and eventually drive down to win game against maybe the Raiders or Vikings?

The bad:
- Kyle Orton's 3&1 slide behind the LOS to end our drive and kill momentum against Broncos
- Tyrod taking the sack to put us out of FG range in playoff game while trying to extend the play, instead of just throwing it away
- Our special teams unit being unable to get a FG off at end of half against the Pats because our lineman got into a scuffle.

I realize everyone is a Monday morning quarterback, but I have to say that the more I think about it, the bad situational awareness plays stand out more to me than the good ones.

What say you?

Fred was a very smart player. Unfortunately the Bills organization for the most part specialized in low football IQ people. I think situational awareness extends to dumb GMs trading for and drafting the players that throw away a football on 4th and game.

29 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

If you watch, the second Orton gives up on the play and initiates the slide, he doesn't even fully get down without 2 Denver players being right on top of him.  I think it looked more egregious in real time, especially because of how slow he was, but I would put my money on him not being able to make it after reviewing the replay.

yep that slide was not even in the top 1000 of bill player dumbgaffs.

heck leodis himself had 270 individual gaffs worse than that

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

In 1997 the Bills played a game in KC and late in the game were driving and Eric Moulds caught a pass near the sideline and the rockhead tried to run a defender over for an extra yard instead of getting out of bounds and sealed the game and his rep as a dumb player.   Man he was all-around awful those first two years.   At this time in 1998 he was everyone's surprise-not-surprise cut.   

Remember Andre Reed towards the end of the first half of our final Superbowl? He should have gone out of bounds as well

Two more come to mind that weren't mentioned yet:

Andre Reed double reverse pass play.

Last season, cant remember the receiver but catching the ball in bounds with seconds left in the half and the Bills in fg range.

Oh, one more, didn't affect the game but boneheaded. Against Miami last season, a defender, forgot who, celebrating AFTER it was announced that his fumble recovery was overturned.

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Remember Andre Reed towards the end of the first half of our final Superbowl? He should have gone out of bounds as well

They certainly made themselves look situationally unaware in Super Bowls but in more relaxed environments......like the AFC playoffs........ they were the ones making opponents look that way.

If memory serves correct on that drive in the 1997 game Lonnie Johnson did something stupid as well.  Which comes as no surprise to anyone who watched him play.   His situational and field awareness in that Packers finale was priceless.    Like Brandon Cooks in the Super Bowl last year.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They certainly made themselves look situationally unaware in Super Bowls but in more relaxed environments......like the AFC playoffs........ they were the ones making opponents look that way.

If memory serves correct on that drive in the 1997 game Lonnie Johnson did something stupid as well.  Which comes as no surprise to anyone who watched him play.   His situational and field awareness in that Packers finale was priceless.    Like Brandon Cooks in the Super Bowl last year.

I still talk about Lonnie Johnson forgetting that was a fake punt to this day. I thought that was going to be career ending

Regular season opener in Foxboro.. September 2006.   Bills taking it to New England.. up 17 - 7 and the Bills are ready to put the a Pats away on a 4th and 1 at the Pats 7 yard line 

Hand off to McGahee... & of course the Pats stop McGahee.. Pats come back to score a TD...   and later win on a FG and a safety.

At the end of the game.. McGahee said 'I wasn't worried.. I thought it was Third down'....

At least he didn't lie like JR did.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Ifartalot said:

The speed of thinking required in professional sports is beyond mere mortal comprehension.

It’s not that tough to remember the score/down imo. Typically, the lack of this understanding is the root of most situational awareness blunders.  

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

6 hours ago, corta765 said:

Bledsoe against the Texans (forgot the season) ran out of bounds on 4th down rather then throwing. It was the final play for the Bills if they didn't convert and my dad and I were quite puzzled.

Bledsoe 'ran'?  ???

22 hours ago, JP's Voice said:
I know that last night's game is being discussed in the NBA thread, but watching JR Smith's lack of situational awareness got me thinking about times that the Bills showed good situational awareness, or lack there of in the past.

The good:
- Fred Jackson not scoring against the Pats to eat the clock and eventually kick a GW FG
- Fred Jackson purposely dropping a dump-down @ the end of the game to preserve time and eventually drive down to win game against maybe the Raiders or Vikings?

The bad:
- Kyle Orton's 3&1 slide behind the LOS to end our drive and kill momentum against Broncos
- Tyrod taking the sack to put us out of FG range in playoff game while trying to extend the play, instead of just throwing it away
- Our special teams unit being unable to get a FG off at end of half against the Pats because our lineman got into a scuffle.

I realize everyone is a Monday morning quarterback, but I have to say that the more I think about it, the bad situational awareness plays stand out more to me than the good ones.

What say you?

Ill propose something much simpler in J.R. Smiths case.  He is just plain stupid.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/06/jr-smith-7-biggest-blunders-dumb-moments-nba-finals

20 hours ago, dneveu said:

I remember Marrone trying to punt against NE, on 4th and 2 in the 4th quarter, down 16. Orton sent the punt team back

I remember Jauron sending the punting unit out and TO waving them off. DJ just shrugged and let them go for it. (I think they made it, too.)

Speaking of Jauron, in the MNF game against the Cowboys, we had the opportunity to seal the win by kicking a FG, but he decided to get aggressive and let Edwards throw a pass in the red zone. The ensuing pick-six sealed the loss.

5 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

A lot of bad plays on here but I'll point out a good one.  Poyer interception to end the Miami game and Tre made sure that Poyer went right back to the ground after he got up from the pick.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000901231/Jordan-Poyer-intercepts-Fales-to-put-the-game-on-ICE

IIRC a week earlier Tre had a late pick that he tried to run back when he should have went down. I credit that one to coaching.

'Johnny Football' ran off the field at the end of the first half with time remaining in the TI-Cats preseason opener last night.  The Hamilton Spectator writer, Steve Milton, attributed it to the difference between CFL and NFL rules.  Manziel 9 of 12 for 80 yards passing.

9 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I guess Thurman with that whole helmet thing in the second Super Bowl.  Not that they would've won against the Redskins that year

It was for the first time here at Two Bills Drive that I actually read some overly ambitious media crews moved the helmet, but I don't recall reading the justification for their touching something that wasn't theirs.

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'Johnny Football' ran off the field at the end of the first half with time remaining in the TI-Cats preseason opener last night.  The Hamilton Spectator writer, Steve Milton, attributed it to the difference between CFL and NFL rules.  Manziel 9 of 12 for 80 yards passing.

The clock is a whole different ballgame in the CFL.

On June 1, 2018 at 10:56 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

I think it was Trent Edwards or JP Losman throwing it away on 4th down.  maybe it was both

I was going to cite this incident as well but suggest it was Rob Johnson!  LOL.

It was one of those losers.  Tough to remember which one now.  

They all blur together with the passage of time.

The Lions drafted Orlovsky in the fifth round of the 2005 draft out of Connecticut. He mostly served as a back-up except during the 2008 season, when he started 7 games after starter Jon Kitna was injured. In his first start, Orlovsky ran out of the back of the end zone against the Minnesota Vikings, resulting in a safety that eventually decided the 12-10 loss.