"Josh Allen is blowing people away" - Chris Simms

Estro

2 hours ago, Figster said:

Some folks seem to forget that a new O is being installed along with an Oline needing time to gel and training camp/ preseason is not by any means a good testing ground in my humble opinion.

Allen not starting (IMO) will have less to do with talent or capabilities and the decision will be more based on the Bills supporting cast needing time for everyone to get on the same page. Why would Buffalo want to take a chance of injuring the future of the franchise when we have McCarron that will suffice getting the O on track.

Coaches like competition and I'm not expecting them to count anyone out. 

Under different circumstances I might agree with some of you ... 

...agree 'Fig...no rush to start him....just a hunch that the McCarron kid will prove to be a Steady Eddie game manager that can move the chains....what he did at 'Bama, was a cerebral with two National Championships to show for it....interesting how former NFL QB's (skip their INDIVIDUAL stats as an argument) like Simms, Dilfer and Palmer really like the Allen kid........maybe, just maybe................

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I certainly am not actively rooting against allen, why would I? But this kid has more excuses and excuse makers on this board in a month than tyrod had during his whole tenure as a starter. Funny how that is.

some bitter sap posted a thread about how rosen was “lookin good” as if that means anything (much like this thread) and some stan just had to ape that guy’s headline word for word and sub in allen for rosen because they heard joe b say allen had a good day in shorts throwing against air as well. 

I dunno... maybe you're a Patriots fan trolling a Bills message board? :nana:

The season will come and the season will determine (or should I say, help to determine) what exactly we have in Allen.  But it's certainly not a bad thing that Allen appears to be getting glowing reviews from his teammates and coaches.

And it hasn't been excuses so much with Allen as it has been getting to know the prospect and the story.  Once you really dig into that deep enough, I think you find a reason to be hopeful. 

If you need some places to start, look at his rookie story done by Hyundai (7-8 minutes), his PBS interview on the eve of his first game last season (about 30 minutes) and the 5 part story Tim Graham did for the Buffalo News titled "You Bloom Where You're Planted: The Making of Josh Allen."

After that, go watch the college games from the perspective of the talent around him and how much protection he gets.  And look at the way he throws the football and just ask yourself "does this guy look like a natural passer?"  You can compare the way he throws to a guy like EJ Manuel, who was clearly a very unnatural passer.

Do all those things and come back and tell us we all need to stop being so excited about the highest QB prospect we've ever drafted... and we traded up for him, so clearly we (we obviously meaning the Bills organization) really like him.

Until then...

no michael scott animated GIF

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree 'Fig...no rush to start him....just a hunch that the McCarron kid will prove to be a Steady Eddie game manager that can move the chains....what he did at 'Bama, was a cerebral with two National Championships to show for it....interesting how former NFL QB's (skip their INDIVIDUAL stats as an argument) like Simms, Dilfer and Palmer really like the Allen kid........maybe, just maybe................

We're not spending 10M for AJ to hold a clipboard.  He'll start and take some lumps as Josh watches and learns,  as it should be.  Peterman will be on the PS as insurance. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

We're not spending 10M for AJ to hold a clipboard.  He'll start and take some lumps as Josh watches and learns,  as it should be.  Peterman will be on the PS as insurance. 

....cannot agree more bud.....see it the same way.........good call.............

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

...That's not a great argument they're not going to start McCarron over someone else that's playing better than him just because they spent more on him.

Sal Capaccio was on WGR this afternoon. He threw plenty of cold water on Allen "Blowing People Away" based on his own observations and knowing how the Bills operate under the current regime with regard to handling rookies. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

IDK - McCoach has already been caught having to send start a 3rd QB (Webb) against the Colts in the snow game.  

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Sal Capaccio was on WGR this afternoon. He threw plenty of cold water on Allen "Blowing People Away" based on his own observations and knowing how the Bills operate under the current regime with regard to handling rookies. 

He also said he isn’t saying that it hasn’t happened. 

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I for one am going to wait until "Mandatory Mini-Camp" before I have a final conclusion of Josh Allen.

You are much more patient than many of us around here.

21 hours ago, Estro said:

Was listening to the Simms & Lefkoe podcast today.  Said he's head from a media source and someone w/in the organization that Allen has been blowing people away (in a good way).  Listen for yourself.  It begins exactly at 40:26

Doesn't mean much at this point, especially when you don't get much about what it is they're excited about.

But hey, excitement is better than a lack thereof. Maybe it will translate into production on the field down the road. We probably won't know for two or three years down the road, but who knows.

Interesting conversation anyway. Thanks for posting it, OP. I listened all the way from the part you highlighted to the end.

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Yeah, this. 

I'm honestly hoping we treat him like KC treated their new guy. Just sit him. Maybe put him in for the last game to see how the cake is rising. Can't imagine them starting him earlier than game 5 or 6, though, unless injuries force things.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

"Maybe put him in for the last game to see how the cake is rising. "

ever actually baked a Cake ?

Nope. That was actually a metaphor. A poorly chosen one, maybe. How 'bout, how the stew is steeping instead. I've made a stew.