Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

3 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Hmmm, let's consult Darryl.

"From the bottom of my heart thank you Jerry."

Welp

Again, he rose above Sully's level and shows he's the bigger man. Jerry is small and petty.

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I have no criticism for anyone who doesn't like these reporters. What I find befuddling is the degree that these individuals bother people when the obvious solution is to ignore them

Which, in the end is what got them canned.   

As thread attests to, many people no longer read their work and the BN realized this.     Many of those you seem befuddled by were not buying what Sully and Gleason were selling.   They were being ignored, based on their decline in quality output--and the disappointment that fans of good writing had toward their continued employment...   

8 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

here's the actual irony.

for all of those who claim Jerry was negative, it's quite apparent you folks don't read your own message board.

there are and continue to be far more caustic takes here than anywhere else. 

this is where doom and gloom has resided and festered for lo, so many years. and yet, of course, people need their straw man in order to focus upon their blame. it's all too convenient and lazy and predictable. yes, these are the same things Jerry has been accused of here.

i find it laughable that some here suggest they will now consider subscribing to The Buffalo News.

please, come forth with proof of this happening. i dare you to show me how wrong i am. go ahead. subscribe now that Jerry's gone. 

otherwise, i accuse the haters here of the same thing they accuse Jerry of: Bull and Sh@t.

jw

Then put them on ignore and focus on the the people who want to have a discussion.   Oh wait, isn't that what happened to Sully and Bucky?    

Edited by Lurker

6 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

here's the actual irony.

for all of those who claim Jerry was negative, it's quite apparent you folks don't read your own message board.

this is where doom and gloom has resided and festered for lo, so many years. and yet, of course, people need their straw man in order to focus upon their blame. it's all too convenient and lazy and predictable. yes, these are the same things Jerry has been accused of here.

i find it laughable that some here suggest they will now consider subscribing to The Buffalo News.

please, come forth with proof of this happening. i dare you to show me how wrong i am. go ahead. subscribe now that Jerry's gone. 

otherwise, i accuse the haters here of the same thing they accuse Jerry of: Bull and Sh@t.

jw

Excuse me but you are showing the same level of smarminess I alluded to in my above post.  My issues were inconsistency and poor writing style.  When either wrote articles not about the Bills or Sabres they wrote well.  When writing about the teams they got overly caustic and sarcastic and took too many personal shots.

i wouldn't mind discussing if you can do so in a calm manner.

20 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

so, i've gathered, are you.

I gave my honest take on Bucky & Sully. This is your response. I'm not taking the bait. But you did ask for proof. Here it is. I subscribed right after Bucky announced last Friday.

proof.jpg

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

here's the actual irony.

jw

Sure, there are worse amateur message board posters than Jerry Sullivan. But they're amateurs, and the extremists get handled here appropriately.

Yet, even though Jerry was a professional, there have been plenty of critical posters here that were more entertaining, more nuanced, and seemingly more informed than the pro.

That was always my gripe with him. Not so much just the negativity, because anyone who was paying attention to the team knows they deserved it. But the hot takes were annoying.

I'd rather read critical posts by folks like Badol, 1billsfan, Rico, Dave Mcbride, heck even BillsVet! (just to name a few off the top of my head).

Conversely, not all writers get bashed. I'm a big fan of yours and have almost always supported you here. Tyler Dunne did a great job in his short time in Buffalo. (again off the top of my head).

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

here's the actual irony.

jw

As far as you know, maybe having witnessed similar moves elsewhere.... what will the most likely 'replacement' be with The Buffalo News?  Promoting an intern?  Finding a low payed person from the 'blogosphere' who will be happy with a job and a press credential?  Syndicated filler?  Or just nothing/reduced content?  

57 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

here's the actual irony.

jw

John: I 'm neither a Sullivan lover nor hater, but I do have a serious question for you. My relatively uninformed hunch is that the days of the paid pure opinion writer -- a writer who doesn't do much in the way of reportage to supplement the pieces s/he publishes -- are coming to an end. For scores of decades, this type of writer -- i.e., a "tribune of the people" type -- was an institution at every paper, but the changing media landscape (encompassing the mushrooming growth of sites like this) undermined their appeal. It seems to me that the "analyst" has replaced the opinion writer as the desired type, and here I'm thinking of writers like Tyler Kepner of the NYT -- folks who get behind the numbers and blend opinion with pretty sharp analysis (straight reporters are of course a different story). As a Yankees fan, I can't read the opinion piece writers in the fishwraps anymore because the analysis on sites like www.riveraveblues.com is so much better. It blends deeply informed analysis with the opining I can get from the tabs.  (And the guy who started that site, Mike Axisa, was so good that he ended up getting a gig with CBS sports' online site, so he's not an "amateur" anymore.) Sullivan effectively and regularly delivered what he was hired to deliver, but I wonder if that's much desire for that anymore given the increasingly deep knowledge among fans who thirst for at least a little bit of behind-the-scenes reportage and behind-the-numbers analysis in the pieces they read.  Tyler Dunne seems to be one of the new breed, which is why he's generally quite well regarded here. 

So do you think that sort of writer is obsolete in this day and age? I'm genuinely curious to know what you think because honestly, I don't know.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, john wawrow said:

here's the actual irony.

jw

I agree about this board being toxic. I would say 80% complaining, 19% blinded hope, and 1% quality. It wasn't always like this. There was more balance with quality posters. About 2010 I would say a lot of the good posters got annoyed with how loud the toxic posters were and left. We have lost too many good posters that now this board really has dropped. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, DanInUticaTampa said:

I agree about this board being toxic. I would say 80% complaining, 19% blinded hope, and 1% quality. It wasn't always like this. There was more balance with quality posters. About 2010 I would say a lot of the good posters got annoyed with how loud the toxic posters were and left. We have lost too many good posters that now this board really has dropped. 

Let me guess; you are in that last 1%, right?

• Haha (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

With the two of them leaving I may actually buy a subscription.

I wonder if they were up to some stuff with Brandon.

Upon completion of subscription process, please provide a written copy of the transaction receipt to John Wawrow. 

• Haha (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

With the two of them leaving I may actually buy a subscription.

I wonder if they were up to some stuff with Brandon.

I have no evidence but I think the Pegulas got them fired. 

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Let me help you out.

They are constantly drawn to our attention here because of the news board. If you scan that for the latest news you then see the title of every article they write. That is one reason why they remain in the conversation here even though most preferred not to read them.

Second, there is the consideration that two of just a few columnists covering football in the only newspaper in the team's hometown, are people most do not want to read. Understand? You got 6 and 2 are non starters it is hard to always ignore that when you want to know about the team.

Third, it has been an ongoing discussion here about TBN and the subscription model. So again it is brought up, a lot, and then people reflect why they do not subscribe and it is because they want to ignore and put out of their minds the content and the writers at that paper.

If I am being honest I know that won't help you, because it is all butt obvious. You are intent on arguing a viewpoint and will do so. But really being dense and pretending the obvious isn't there as you construct your arguments won't help you very much to win your points.

Since we are critiquing writing:

1.  You post enough that it is hard to ignore but it actually takes one dedicated step to put one on ignore here..........versus just not reading certain articles in TBN.

2.  You could have summarized all of your thoughts in that post in about two sentences instead of 8.    See the second highlighted sentence.   WTH is that??   It is entirely consistent with your postings and why I typically can't get a quarter of the way thru them without losing interest.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

As far as you know, maybe having witnessed similar moves elsewhere.... what will the most likely 'replacement' be with The Buffalo News?  Promoting an intern?  Finding a low payed person from the 'blogosphere' who will be happy with a job and a press credential?  Syndicated filler?  Or just nothing/reduced content?  

I get the sense they’re out of the opinion business.

what’s curious is the timing of Jerry and Bucky’s departures coincided with a fluff piece on Kim.

Welcome to the brave new world.

jw

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

John: I 'm neither a Sullivan lover nor hater, but I do have a serious question for you. My relatively uninformed hunch is that the days of the paid pure opinion writer -- a writer who doesn't do much in the way of reportage to supplement the pieces s/he publishes -- are coming to an end. For scores of decades, this type of writer -- i.e., a "tribune of the people" type -- was an institution at every paper, but the changing media landscape (encompassing the mushrooming growth of sites like this) undermined their appeal. It seems to me that the "analyst" has replaced the opinion writer as the desired type, and here I'm thinking of writers like Tyler Kepner of the NYT -- folks who get behind the numbers and blend opinion with pretty sharp analysis (straight reporters are of course a different story). As a Yankees fan, I can't read the opinion piece writers in the fishwraps anymore because the analysis on sites like www.riveraveblues.com is so much better. It blends deeply informed analysis with the opining I can get from the tabs.  (And the guy who started that site, Mike Axisa, was so good that he ended up getting a gig with CBS sports' online site, so he's not an "amateur" anymore.) Sullivan effectively and regularly delivered what he was hired to deliver, but I wonder if that's much desire for that anymore given the increasingly deep knowledge among fans who thirst for at least a little bit of behind-the-scenes reportage and behind-the-numbers analysis in the pieces they read.  Tyler Dunne seems to be one of the new breed, which is why he's generally quite well regarded here. 

So do you think that sort of writer is obsolete in this day and age? I'm genuinely curious to know what you think because honestly, I don't know.

I think you’re spot on, Dave.

Analytics is the dull future.

Excuse me as I barf.

jw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have no evidence but I think the Pegulas got them fired. 

Terry seems to have thin skin.  

I still think he thinks he deserves an annual parade for buying both team, regardless of on-ice/on-field performances.