Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

52 minutes ago, DanInUticaTampa said:

I agree about this board being toxic. I would say 80% complaining, 19% blinded hope, and 1% quality. It wasn't always like this. There was more balance with quality posters. About 2010 I would say a lot of the good posters got annoyed with how loud the toxic posters were and left. We have lost too many good posters that now this board really has dropped. 

We've lost a few.    Lori was a huge loss due to knuckleheads.    But the better posters here are better than ever.

We've always had an issue with people who displaced their frustration with the team onto fellow fans and media.    

People like Promo who kept a sig line of the quote  "life is a comedy to those that think and a tragedy to those who feel"..........then proceeded to FEEL every perceived slight imaginable and complain loudly about things that had zero impact on the on-field product.

You can draw a direct line between most of those idiots and their dedicated hatred of Jerry Sullivan for having negative takes on bad sports teams.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stony said:

Terry seems to have thin skin.  

I still think he thinks he deserves an annual parade for buying both team, regardless of on-ice/on-field performances.

Agree on the parade, as for the leaving of Sullivan and Gleason, I still think it's more economics.

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I didn't question whether it was in their right at all -- I was just saying that the predictably frenzied response was overdetermined given the "relationship" between people here and non-reporter opinion writers like Sullivan.

Very true. But then again this is a message board for amateurs about a professional football team. That’s the reason for its existence. No one here believes one needs to be a football player or coach to lambaste a player for his play or stupidity on the field. 

Your original point IMO is true to me, but I’m not sure it needs to be true for everyone here. Fans can be happy some professional was released so a different professional they think could be better may take his place. Or even addition by subtraction. A lot of people here were thrilled that we just got rid of Dareus for virtually nothing last year. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Agree on the parade, as for the leaving of Sullivan and Gleason, I still think it's more economics.

Without knowing the economics, I'd agree.  Jerry was probably one of the highest paid writers at the BN.

Edited by stony

3 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

I get the sense they’re out of the opinion business.

Sincerely doubt it.   If anything, I expect them to double down on opinion and go lighter on the daily beat, which frankly adds very little.   Who really cares what Charles Clay eats or if Shaq Lawson thinks he's going to the Pro Bowl?

Good columnists, while hard to find, can differentiate the BN from other media outlets and develop a following unto themselves.   Peter King and his MMQB was the best example, although it will be interesting to see how that site goes now that he's at NBC.   

The BN definitely upgraded other sections of the paper when Sean Kirst took over for Donn Esmonde and Jeff Miers replaced Jeff Simon.   I'd expect a similar upgrade on the sports desk, although it may be one guy replacing Sully and Buckster in an effort to contain cost... 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

What I find befuddling is the degree that these individuals bother people when the obvious solution is to ignore them. There seems to be a relishing of venomous responses to them that I find odd. 

What I find befuddling is degree that those of us, those that think they were a cancerous boil on Buffalo News and like a bad apple in a barrel it ruined the rest of news, bother you.  Can YOU just not ignore since this is your advice?

It reflected badly on the Buffalo News that the  columns were being published. Note it was not only in columns they were in. They were in news conferences and it is hard to just ignore them in them.  It reflected on outside view of Buffalo since these type of columns were often cited.  They helped turn Bills into a joke IMO and frankly they should have been treated as opposition press.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sincerely doubt it.   If anything, I expect them to double down on opinion and go lighter on the daily beat, which frankly adds very little.   Who really cares what Charles Clay eats or if Shaq Lawson thinks he's going to the Pro Bowl?

Good columnists, while hard to find, can differentiate the BN from other media outlets and develop a following unto themselves.   Peter King and his MMQB was the best example, although it will be interesting to see how that site goes now that he's at NBC.   

The BN definitely upgraded other sections of the paper when Sean Kirst took over for Donn Esmonde and Jeff Miers replaced Jeff Simon.   I'd expect a similar upgrade on the sports desk, although it may be one guy replacing Sully and Buckster in an effort to contain cost... 

if you say so.

as for pete king, hardly ever read him. and don’t give one hoot about the baloney pedlar.

jw

3 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Sincerely doubt it.   If anything, I expect them to double down on opinion and go lighter on the daily beat, which frankly adds very little...

This is surely just opinion, like yours, but Jeff Simon was an excellent film critic for many, many years. I think that was a clear downgrade. 

I don’t know why more fluff and less tough would excite any Bills fans but after enough kicking and screaming here we go! I’m still waiting to see/hear about more new BN subscribers now that the big meanie writers are gone. 

Can’t OD on fluff if you don’t part with the 3 bucks fellas. 

Peter King is being replaced by Breer. That’s an upgrade in print and on the air waves. Younger, more dialed in, more about the game and less about stroking his own “gorilla sized ego”

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

This is surely just opinion, like yours, but Jeff Simon was an excellent film critic for many, many years. I think that was a clear downgrade. 

I didn't hate Simon at all, but he was forever on my sh*t list for giving Das Boot one star -- he faulted it for being dangerously pro-German! It's in the annals for bad-take reviews.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

What I find befuddling is degree that those of us, those that think they were a cancerous boil on Buffalo News and like a bad apple in a barrel it ruined the rest of news, bother you.  Can YOU just not ignore since this is your advice?

It reflected badly on the Buffalo News that the  columns were being published. Note it was not only in columns they were in. They were in news conferences and it is hard to just ignore them in them.  It reflected on outside view of Buffalo since these type of columns were often cited.  They helped turn Bills into a joke IMO and frankly they should have been treated as opposition press.

yes. it was entirely Jerry and Bucky’s fault the Bills hired Rex, brought back Marv, made Russ GM, drafted Maybin and EJ, lost to the Cowboys on Monday night, broke Losman’s leg, punted from the opponent’s 35, favored Bon Jovi, and, of course, locked Mike Williams in his dorm room during training camp.

I’m probably missing a dozen more things, but yes, they turned the Bills into a joke. Abso-posi-freakin-lootely 

jw

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

A Jeff Simon review today is 25% about the film and 75% on what he had for lunch.   He's another guy who was once very good who petered out waiting for the retirement check.   

OTOH, Miers is passionate about the music and it shows in his writing.   I'd much rather read that kind of columnist that a guy playing out the string...

Edited by Lurker
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, john wawrow said:

yes. it was entirely Jerry and Bucky’s fault the Bills hired Rex, brought back Marv, made Russ GM, drafted Maybin and EJ, lost to the Cowboys on Monday night, broke Losman’s leg, punted from the opponent’s 35, favored Bon Jovi, and, of course, locked Mike Williams in his dorm room during training camp.

I’m probably missing a dozen more things, but yes, they turned the Bills into a joke. Abso-posi-freakin-lootely 

jw

Whatever, you fail to see impact they had on Bills and you want to defend your feel newspaper writers.

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I didn't hate Simon at all, but he was forever on my sh*t list for giving Das Boot one star -- he faulted it for being dangerously pro-German! It's in the annals for bad-take reviews.

Ha. So you’re eternally pissed at a film critic for giving one of your favorite movies das boot?!

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Remember this gem?

http://wyrk.com/buffalo-new-columnist-badgers-cam-newton-over-the-color-of-his-skin-video/

10 minutes ago, Lurker said:

A Jeff Simon review today is 25% about the film and 75% on what he had for lunch.   He's another guy who was once very good who petered out waiting for the retirement check.   

OTOH, Miers is passionate about the music and it shows in his writing.   I'd much rather read that kind of columnist that a guy playing out the string...

Fair enough. I admit I don’t read all his reviews like I used to. He was terrific for decades though. 

13 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

jw

The Bills had two HCs in recent history preferring to take buyouts rather than continue on with their jobs. That certainly wasn't a testament to a well oiled organizational machine. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Thank you (+1) 1