Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

I don't know what you are referring to. I did a search but couldn't come up with the McKissic plagiarizing issue. I'm not saying you are wrong but I couldn't find anything about it.

That's because the Buffalo News never reported it and probably no TV stations, so not sure where it would be seen.............Where I knew it from was Alan Pergament had a blog after he retired from the News and before he went back.  It was way better than anything he does for the news, which is basically only reporting on local newcasts and Buffalo's ratings of national broadcasts.  On the blog, he would talk about things like this.

He didn't talk about the union thing (he actually might not even said the reason why, but he did talk about Rodney being suspended).  I know somebody in the media.  He told me Rodney won't lose his job because of the union, but he won't write another word for the News............Turned out he was wrong.  When Rodney got off suspension, the Bills beat was down one writer (I think when Allen Wilson was getting sick), and he did write again for awhile............Not sure why he did end up leaving the news and he actually died sometime in the last year. 

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

Jerry lasted for 29 years with the BN. That is a pretty long run. His longevity was not based on his lack of competency. 

No, it was based upon TBN’s apathy.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

He has been negative for a long time and during that time the Bills went to 4 Super Bowls and the Playoffs In 11 of 13 seasons. The Sabres meanwhile went to the playoffs 15 out of 20 years at the start including a Stanley Cup and conference Finals.  It is not like he came in during the drought and the tank at the same time.

He did not agree with how the teams may have been run, but his attitude is way more than that.  The Bills under Polian and Ralph were well run and received a lot of praise nationally, but he picked at many small issues.  The Sabres under the Knox brothers were also well run and this should not have been an issue.  

He he wanted to be the contrarian view point and worked that angle for years - it just became all he could do and he had to top the hate to get his view across - so it became nastier and nastier until he lost his place at the table.

Sure, he was mostly negative. But not totally. Anyone remember the 2011 column when the Bills had a 5-2 start under Gailey and Jerry's column was about the fact that he thought that at least that far in he thought Gailey should be one of the top candidates for Coach of the Year? He had plenty of positive columns, but yeah, a lot more were negative.

But again, when you look, the bad things he was saying were mostly about bad teams. Bad GMs, bad coaches. Bills fans have been really really tolerant over an awful lot of years.

I was around in his first few years when he was covering a good team in the Bills. And yeah he said some tough things, but he was more positive than negative. More negative than many Bills fans liked even back then but he said a lot of good things about those good teams. 

He's always been a curmudgeon, a grouch. And some people just hate that, and that's fair enough. But he's had bad teams to cover, an overwhelming majority of them. It made sense most weeks to say bad things. I agreed with him maybe 70% of the time but always thought he was a good read. He made me think. I agreed with Bucky a lot less, but I enjoyed reading him too, though to a lesser degree.

Good luck to both of them, and to the Buffalo News. And the Bills as well.

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

I agreed with him maybe 70% of the time but always thought he was a good read.

I would say I probably agreed with him less... maybe around half of the time... but even when I agreed I never thought he was a good read. Tim Graham I always think is a good read even when I disagree. 

I get the BN delivered to house...….it stays in the orange wrapper.

why ?.....because the online only option is more expensive than the online with home delivery option.

all newspapers are struggling as ad revenue switches to facebook etc....

14 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Jerry was fine. Ultimately, the team was a joke for almost two decades, I don't blame the guy. 

Anyway, This is not about Bucky or Jerry. 

This is about the newspaper trying to stay afloat, despite being tossed into Lake Erie with cement shoes on. 

Forget about Sully or Bucky on sports...THIS is the real headline going on here.

36 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would say I probably agreed with him less... maybe around half of the time... but even when I agreed I never thought he was a good read. Tim Graham I always think is a good read even when I disagree. 

I agree - over the years I have agreed with him 1/3 to 1/2 the time, but over that time there have been only a few limited articles that I thought were well written.  

Tim Graham I have agreed with even less, but over the years I thought his articles were better researched and written and even though the articles usually take a more negative and extreme approach- I could at least read the article.

Jerry's greatest sin wasn't a lack of originality, a lack of talent or even his acerbic nature.  In the end, it was his laziness in writing 2-4 similarly styled columns for the last 10 years.  I wish him well and hope he finds his voice again, as it was once a strong, original one (a very long time ago).

• Like (+1) 2

Witnessing a seemingly endless string of celebratory dances atop the grave of an official, professional (i.e., paid) opinion writer (Sullivan) by unofficial, amateur enthusiast opinion writers (all of us) is what we call in my line of work "overdetermined." (This is regardless of Sullivan's skills or lack thereof.)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Speak for yourself. 

Are you paid for your work? Do you have official status that his been given by a recognized professional organization? If not, you are by definition an amateur, and it's actually not a debatable point. Amateurs are occasionally better than official professionals, of course.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, bbb said:

That's because the Buffalo News never reported it and probably no TV stations, so not sure where it would be seen.............Where I knew it from was Alan Pergament had a blog after he retired from the News and before he went back.  It was way better than anything he does for the news, which is basically only reporting on local newcasts and Buffalo's ratings of national broadcasts.  On the blog, he would talk about things like this.

He didn't talk about the union thing (he actually might not even said the reason why, but he did talk about Rodney being suspended).  I know somebody in the media.  He told me Rodney won't lose his job because of the union, but he won't write another word for the News............Turned out he was wrong.  When Rodney got off suspension, the Bills beat was down one writer (I think when Allen Wilson was getting sick), and he did write again for awhile............Not sure why he did end up leaving the news and he actually died sometime in the last year. 

in any large corporate setting with bosses and employees you are going to have conflicts and mistakes. It's not only the nature of the workplace but also life. Employees make judgments and sometimes make mistakes. Bosses review actions and make judgments with respect to the actions in question. If you are expecting a pristine workplace with everyone getting along and supporting one another then you are being unrealistic. 

Unions and management are often at odds. What's so surprising about that? Especially in a business with a tremendous amount of financial stress you are going to have this push/pull and sometimes very antagonistic relationships. You may be surprised with the fact that unions stick up on the side of their members and bosses act as agents for the company but I'm not. There is nothing abnormal about these conflicts where at times one side has the advantage and in other times the other side ends up  with the advantage. 

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm willing to bet it's because for you and JohnC, Sullivan scratched that itch for you, letting the team that was making you angry have it. That was a large part of his appeal. It didn't make him a truth teller, though.

Speaking for myself your post makes as much sense as you very often claiming that the fans are very much responsible for how the team has performed. Your post is utter nonsense. 

51 minutes ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Jerry's greatest sin wasn't a lack of originality, a lack of talent or even his acerbic nature.  In the end, it was his laziness in writing 2-4 similarly styled columns for the last 10 years.  I wish him well and hope he finds his voice again, as it was once a strong, original one (a very long time ago).

I’m struck by the contrast between your first two sentences. Imo, writing 2-4 similar columns over 10 years is the very definition of lack of originality and lack of talent.

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Speaking for myself your post makes as much sense as you very often claiming that the fans are very much responsible for how the team has performed. Your post is utter nonsense. 

Doesn't make sense? How difficult is it to understand? Bucky and Sully's biggest fans were the haters. People who loved the negativity. Was that not obvious? Are you arguing it was their Pulitzer-level writing skills?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

I did a search but couldn't come up with the McKissic plagiarizing issue. 

http://stilltalkintv.com/2012/04/the-news-suspends-sports-reporter/

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just a few months ago Gleason wrote a scathing column about UB over hiring "outsider" Mark Allnutt as Athletic Director. Bucky was adamant UB hire a local person and drop football to FCS because that's what made sense to Bucky.

But because UB didn't see the wisdom of doing what Bucky wanted, he accused Allnutt, who is black, of "dancing like a minstrel" for the UB administration.

Gleason deserved to get suspended, if not fired, for that column. Never mind the sexist shade he threw at Kim Pegula.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/21/bucky-gleason-ub-looks-toward-buffalo-outsider-for-inside-job/

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Are you paid for your work? Do you have official status that his been given by a recognized professional organization? If not, you are by definition an amateur, and it's actually not a debatable point. Amateurs are occasionally better than official professionals, of course.

I am not longer paid as a journalist - but I am paid precisely for my writing in another context. I am still a registered member of the National Union of Journalists and hold an active accreditation from the British Broadcast Journalism Training Council.  

13 hours ago, JohnC said:

Jerry lasted for 29 years with the BN. That is a pretty long run. His longevity was not based on his lack of competency. 

Understood, but I don't think writers were kicking down the doors of the [BN]competent to replace him.  

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Doesn't make sense? How difficult is it to understand? Bucky and Sully's biggest fans were the haters. People who loved the negativity. Was that not obvious? Are you arguing it was their Pulitzer-level writing skills?

I don't consider myself a hater. I'm not even a stalwart supporter of either reporter. What I disagree with is the demonizing of these reporters because they are critics of the teams they covered. There are more than enough wallflowers covering these two franchises that have struggled for a generation. What I find unfair is because they are contrarians in a room overflowing with ass kissers they get singled out and vilified. If one disagrees with what they write then disagree. This cause to rile up the mob because they don't follow the company line is what I find objectionable.