Bucky Gleason Leaving TBN After Requesting a Buyout - Jerry Sullivan and Now Tim Graham Out

2 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

If that’s true, I’ve lost a large amount of respect for some of the people here.

And you can complain to my boss if you like. 

I simply don’t care.

jw

The only people who believe journalists are an endangered species are those who have little or no value for the truth.

Good luck with that.

jw

Are you going to deny that local papers are endangered and those working for them are endangered?  What has this conversation been about - two guys that had to take buyouts and now don't have jobs.

And don't give me this crap about having no value for the truth.  I am a staunch believer in the First Amendment.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Best for you not to be here if you can't have frank and open debate then.  I'm sorry your friends lost their job, I really am.  But that doens't give you the right to act like a dick on here.  And you can tell your boss I said so.

I can act however I like.

It’s still a free country, unless that’s also endangered.

jw

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Are you going to deny that local papers are endangered and those working for them are endangered?  What has this conversation been about - two guys that had to take buyouts and now don't have jobs.

And don't give me this crap about having no value for the truth.  I am a staunch believer in the First Amendment.

But you just told me that I had no right to act like a dick.

Which is it?

jw

Just now, john wawrow said:

jw

Then be a jerk if you want.  And if that comes through in your work and people stop reading you, what do you think will happen?

1 minute ago, john wawrow said:

jw

And again, I feel bad for many journalists with the loss of local papers.  I presume many will go to digital work and I hope it works out for them.  As I said in my first post in this thread about Gleason and Sullivan.  

jw

Indeed you can. And anyone who would consider complaining to your boss is a fruitcake. You are very welcome to state your opinions here.

Just I personally would like you to bring your A game.

Then be a jerk if you want.  And if that comes through in your work and people stop reading you, what do you think will happen?

Oh, they’ll read.

Just like how just about everybody here read and/or pored over most of Jerry’s columns, because just about each one had a thread dedicated to it.

jw

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

jw

But you just told me that I had no right to act like a dick.

Which is it?

jw

If you cannot be here right now without acting like a dick then take a break until you can have a reasonable dialog.  You know that.  I cannot believe a journalist like you has to have that explained.

It seems clear you are upset over this news, and I'll say again I understand it must be difficult.

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Indeed you can. And anyone who would consider complaining to your boss is a fruitcake. You are very welcome to state your opinions here.

Just I personally would like you to bring your A game.

Not the same punching out replies here on my phone.

But you’re right, feel a little off my game.

If you cannot be here right now without acting like a dick then take a break until you can have a reasonable dialog.  You know that.  I cannot believe a journalist like you has to have that explained.

It seems clear you are upset over this news, and I'll say again I understand it must be difficult.

No. I’m having my kicks.

I would not waste any ounce of my emotions on you.

jw

• Like (+1) 2

Oh, they’ll read.

Just like how just about everybody here read and/or pored over most of Jerry’s columns, because just about each one had a thread dedicated to it.

jw

You still have not addressed my actual question.  I and others felt that at times he and Gleason were too snarky and did personal insults against team personnel.  Do you or do you not think that kind of approach is good journalism?

3 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

Not the same punching out replies here on my phone.

But you’re right, feel a little off my game.

No. I’m having my kicks.

I would not waste any ounce of my emotions on you.

jw

So you're not interested in actual dialog....

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

Over the last 20 years has this occurred to any other NFL team?

I really don't know other than it is a rare and extraordinary action taken by the coaches. I'm sure there are coaches who have left for health and family reasons. Dungy comes to mind. What is clear is that both Mularky and Marrone wanted out because they didn't want to work in an organization that was so troubled that it didn't give them a reasonable chance to succeed. 

Just now, JohnC said:

I really don't know other than it is a rare and extraordinary action taken by the coaches. I'm sure there are coaches who have left for health and family reasons. Dungy comes to mind. What is clear is that both Mularky and Marrone wanted out because they didn't want to work in an organization that was so troubled that it didn't give them a reasonable chance to succeed. 

My sense was that Mularkey got paranoid about having Marv as GM staring over his shoulder.  And Marrone tried a power play and lost.  

13 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

You still have not addressed my actual question.  I and others felt that at times he and Gleason were too snarky and did personal insults against team personnel.  Do you or do you not think that kind of approach is good journalism?

So you're not interested in actual dialog....

With you?

nah

jw

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

My sense was that Mularkey got paranoid about having Marv as GM staring over his shoulder.  And Marrone tried a power play and lost.  

Mularkey had a good reason to be uncomfortable (not going so far as describing it as paranoid) with Marv hovering above him especially after Marv expressed a desire to return to the coaching ranks rather than the GM position. The owner told Marv absolutely not.

There is no doubt that Marrone had a disdain for Whaley and wanted more say in personnel. When all is said and done he left because he didn't want to work within the structure as it was constituted. So he left with a bucket full of money. 

Just now, JohnC said:

Mularkey had a good reason to be uncomfortable (not going so far as describing it as paranoid) with Marv hovering above him especially after Marv expressed a desire to return to the coaching ranks rather than the GM position. The owner told Marv absolutely not.

There is no doubt that Marrone had a disdain for Whaley and wanted more say in personnel. When all is said and done he left because he didn't want to work within the structure as it was constituted. So he left with a bucket full of money. 

All things happen for a reason. I like where we are right now.

2 hours ago, john wawrow said:

No. I read the post. At no point did it say “just dumb luck.”

But proceed ....

And journalists are all like "why doesn't anyone like,or trust the media anymore???"

Just now, mob16151 said:

And journalists are all like "why doesn't anyone like,or trust the media anymore???"

because some people are fooled by mistruths repeated over and over again that finally seem believable.

Others don’t like reading inconvenient truths.

And then there are those who for some reason are suspicious of science and facts.

Which one are you?

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Pegula's wealth is largely a function of luck; that's how that business tends to work.  He has also made some public comments that are borderline racist.  That was before his handlers quickly muzzled him.

We don't really him speak very much anymore, do we?

Kim has zero experience or credentials to be running two major sports franchises.  None.

To suggest that she would even remotely be considered a candidate for the position, were she not the owner's wife, is absurd.  

Do you want the paper to spoon feed you rainbows, or provide opinion/perspective?

And for those questioning my reading abilities, here is the post i’m referring to.

at what point does the poster use the words “dumb luck.”

but, sure, i can’t read. i was wrong. blah, blah, blah.

jw

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I’m sorry this turned south the way it did. How did we all score on the empathy thread? 

While the discussion went on it stagnated and the chasm grew wider. It's not surprising. 

4 minutes ago, john wawrow said:

because some people are fooled by mistruths repeated over and over again that finally seem believable.

Others don’t like reading inconvenient truths.

And then there are those who for some reason are suspicious of science and facts.

Which one are you?

Or, it could be that information isn’t controlled by the few anymore and today “the masses” have much more access to information. 

I think the media really needs to take a hard look at themselves. IMO they’d be much better off if they  stop blaming “people” for their problems and just did their job better. 

This is a broad generalization because there are excellent journalists. You are probably one of them. 

The other issue is that reporting and news has, in many outlets, been replaced by slant and editorializing. It’s a blurry line now. 

• Like (+1) 1