Incognito's Retirement? [update: Now Released]

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Peters signed a contract then he and his agent decided he didn't have to honor it.  As I recall the Bills  were willing to renegotiate but wanted him to come in first to have his injury evaluated and he refused.

I agree they should have kept him and done a different deal.  But let's make sure both sides of the equation are.  Peters and his agent weren't choirboys.

When all is said and done the Peters fiasco worked out for Peters and it was a major failure for the team. The organization was more than willing to overpay for mediocre talents such as Dockery and Walker but were not willing to be more flexible with the player they drafted and developed. 

The NFL is a business. The interest of a team isn't always in the best interest of a player. And the interest of a player isn't always in the best interest an organization. Contracts are contracts but in this business there isn't anything sacred about it because terms are frequently reworked as circumstances change. Negotiations and accommodations are part of the landscape. 

When the Peters situation is reviewed in hindsight there is no other way to look at it as a bad loss for the organization. Winning the battle when it costs you the war is dumb. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

cant say i understand this with our lack of experience/talent on the OL. 

Do you get the impression that he’s committed to helping this team win? He specifically said he would rather play golf than football. He appears unstable and unfocused. Also, two posters have heard he cussed out the owners.  The bottom line is they are building a team and this is not the type of player or teammate you want around your young core or beg to stay.  See ya. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yes, I know, Richie signed the new deal

It starts and ends with this comment. 

He signed the deal. He's not a child. He doesn't have to sign anything. But he did. The Bills should not feel badly about that.

This isn't about team over player or player over team. Unless someone can explain that they put a gun to his head, he signed the deal.

End of story.

• Like (+1) 1

I said all along that I didn't believe Richie was "retiring" for health reasons and that there was obviously more going on there. As I said before, if he had really retired for health reasons the Bills would have congratulated him on his NFL career, like they did with E. Wood. 

Not at all surprised Incognito unretired and forced the Bills hand. I figured this would happen. I just thought it'd happen around training camp. 

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When all is said and done the Peters fiasco worked out for Peters and it was a major failure for the team. The organization was more than willing to overpay for mediocre talents such as Dockery and Walker but were not willing to be more flexible with the player they drafted and developed. 

The NFL is a business. The interest of a team isn't always in the best interest of a player. And the interest of a player isn't always in the best interest an organization. Contracts are contracts but in this business there isn't anything sacred about it because terms are frequently reworked as circumstances change. Negotiations and accommodations are part of the landscape. 

When the Peters situation is reviewed in hindsight there is no other way to look at it as a bad loss for the organization. Winning the battle when it costs you the war is dumb. 

Peters definitely made out.  Eagles didn't even need him to win the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

He signed the deal. He's not a child. He doesn't have to sign anything. But he did. The Bills should not feel badly about that.

This isn't about team over player or player over team. Unless someone can explain that they put a gun to his head, he signed the deal.

End of story.

We do not know if he signed the contract or had given his agent power of attorney and his agent signed for him and that is reason he was fired.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Do you get the impression that he’s committed to helping this team win? He specifically said he would rather play golf than football. He appears unstable and unfocused. Also, two posters have heard he cussed out the owners.  See ya. 

I don't know if the story you are alluding to about his call to the owner/s is true. Whether he plays again or retires I hope that he can have a stable and happy life. He's had a history of volatility and erratic behavior. It seemed that while with Buffalo his behavior was much more serene than from his past.  

Regardless what he decides to do I just wish everything works out well for him from a life standpoint. He's the type of person where the demons within him can overcome the angels that also reside within him. I wish him the best. 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Peters definitely made out.  Eagles didn't even need him to win the Super Bowl. 

They didn't need him this year but that doesn't take away his HOF caliber career he has had with them. 

8 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

End of story.

Apparently, it was not the end of the story.  Nor was it the beginning. 

The Bills asked or demanded he take a pay cut even  though he was one of a couple pro bowlers, he did it, and regretted it. 

In the end, the Bills bit off their nose to spite their face.  We are missing our most talented offensive linemen on a team that now has (at best) a questionable offensive line.  Not good news for Shady.  Not good news for whoever starts at QB.  Not good news for the team.

But hey, at least McBeane can say that they forced Richie to take a pay cut and then forced him off the team by cutting him.  They showed him.  By cutting him now, Richie gets to keep his bonus and can sign with another team.

Oh well. It is not like we are missing four guys who have started on the offensive line in the past few years . . . oh wait, it is exactly like that.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

But hey, at least McBeane can say that they forced Richie to take a pay cut and then forced him off the team by cutting him.  They showed him.  By cutting him now, Richie gets to keep his bonus and can sign with another team.

If he retires and is released he still owes the bonus back if Bills push for it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

No.  He used contract of one player holding up negotiations on it until another player was done.

That was unethical.

because teams don’t play one player off another? 

my complaint was on your burn in hell reference, which i truly found to be irresponsible.

jw

2 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If he retires and is released he still owes the bonus back if Bills push for it.

Apparently, by cutting him, they let him off the hook on having to repay the bonus given that he did not end up retiring.  At least, I recall reading that somewhere along the line today.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

Why do you think he can keep his bonus?

He retired.  He was released from the reserve/retired list after he informed the Bills he intends to play football again (and will presumably apply for reinstatement with the NFL)

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He retired.  He was released from the reserve/retired list after he informed the Bills he intends to play football again (and will presumably apply for reinstatement with the NFL)

I love it when you are passive aggressive and say "link please."  I know that is your thing.  When I read that, I think of Chad Johnson's line.

You should have been able to figure this out without a link by the way.  Richie did not actually retire.  In fact, McBeane cut him because he was not going to retire.

In any event, I would hate for you to continue to be confused . . . .

"By releasing him, the bonus money the Bills had previously paid to the offensive lineman can no longer be recouped."

https://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/buffalo-bills-cut-all-ties-release-richie-incognito-from-reserve_retired-list

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In theory if we release a willing to play player, we would be on the hook for that bonus. 

39 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

We do not know if he signed the contract or had given his agent power of attorney and his agent signed for him and that is reason he was fired.

Yea, that’s probably what happened...

I don't think I could meet McDermott or Beane without turning into a pathetic fanboy. As much as I would like to keep composure it wouldn't happen, I love everything they do a little to much. Same for the Pegulas. 

Edited by Lfod