Do we have the worst QB situation in the league?

2 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Wonder how perceptions will change once preseason starts. Anything prior, as far as I am concerned, is nothing more than a hot take.

As soon as Josh Allen throws it over the mountains, I'm IN. 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

No, those are all superior to ours.

Cleveland - Tyrod Taylor has 3 years of starting experience and 8 years in the league. They also have Drew Stanton, been in the league since 2008 and has played in 5 times as many games as our roster combined.

Chicago - Trubisky showed promise, and got his rookie season out of the way. He has twice as many starts as our roster combined. 

Indy - Andrew Luck is returning, and either way he's had more success than anyone the Bills have had since Kelly. Just backing him up and training with him is valuable. They also have Jacoby Brissett who started games with the Patriots & played a year under Bill Belichick, coupled with playing all 16 games last season. Again, over twice as many starts as our unit combined. He posted 3,098 yards (more than Tyrod ever has), 13 TD's and 7 INT's for an 81.7 rating, which is admirable with the roster he had.

Jacksonville - Made it to the AFC Championship game last year & almost beat the Patriots. Bortles may not be ideal, but he has a TON more experience than our guys, playing all but 2 games for 4 straight seasons. Threw for 3,687 yards, 21 TD's and 13 INT's last year with an 84.7 rating. Better than what we've had. 

Miami - Tannehill is back, and has again, been better than anything we've had for 18+ years. Far more starts than our unit combined, along with Brock Osweiler, who's not very good but is better & than Peterman at least, and also has more starts than our unit combined.

Houston - Watson showed he's the real deal. Along with him, they have Brandon Weeden who's a quality veteran backup, something again we don't have. Still more starts than our unit combined.

Baltimore - Joe Flacco isn't great, but he's at least decent and won a Super Bowl. He has shown he can play well when he wants to, and has far more experience (getting old stating this) than everyone we have combined. As backups, they have RGIII, and Lamar Jackson. RGIII and Flacco can teach their rookie in Jackson far more than Peterman and McCarron can teach Allen.

This guy gets it

I thought I'd mention some other teams with not so great QB situations:

Chicago Bears - Their QB of the future posted a 77.5 QB Rating last year.

NY Jets - They have a senior citizen, a gimp, and a guy who will be doing ads for Butterfingers this time next year.

Miami Dolphins - :lol:

Patriots, Chargers, Saints - Those guys are on their death beds.

Cleveland Browns - Their starter specializes in 3 and out and their QB of the future's a crotch grabber whose first name is Baker.

Cincinnati Bengals - Their QB has no soul.

Indianapolis Colts - Luck's shoulder is held together with silly putty and duct tape.

Atlanta Falcons - They're making Ferrari payments on a Camaro.

LA Rams - Let's see how good their golden boy looks without an all-world decoy this year.

Arizona Cardinals - They'll be fine until week 2 when Glass Bradford cracks and the fragile, and oh so pouty soy boy from Manhattan Beach takes the field.

Baltimore Ravens - Joe Flucco has only thrown over 20 TDs once in the last 5 years. He's averaged an INT/game over that time. His back up is LamaRG3.

Jacksonville Jagoffs - Their QB has been called the white EJ Manuel.

Tennessee Titans - Tall, skinny RBs make crappy QBs.

Tampa Bay Bucks - Jameis Winston treats objects like women, man.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

No, those are all superior to ours.

Cleveland - Tyrod Taylor has 3 years of starting experience and 8 years in the league. They also have Drew Stanton, been in the league since 2008 and has played in 5 times as many games as our roster combined.

Chicago - Trubisky showed promise, and got his rookie season out of the way. He has twice as many starts as our roster combined. 

Indy - Andrew Luck is returning, and either way he's had more success than anyone the Bills have had since Kelly. Just backing him up and training with him is valuable. They also have Jacoby Brissett who started games with the Patriots & played a year under Bill Belichick, coupled with playing all 16 games last season. Again, over twice as many starts as our unit combined. He posted 3,098 yards (more than Tyrod ever has), 13 TD's and 7 INT's for an 81.7 rating, which is admirable with the roster he had.

Jacksonville - Made it to the AFC Championship game last year & almost beat the Patriots. Bortles may not be ideal, but he has a TON more experience than our guys, playing all but 2 games for 4 straight seasons. Threw for 3,687 yards, 21 TD's and 13 INT's last year with an 84.7 rating. Better than what we've had. 

Miami - Tannehill is back, and has again, been better than anything we've had for 18+ years. Far more starts than our unit combined, along with Brock Osweiler, who's not very good but is better & than Peterman at least, and also has more starts than our unit combined.

Houston - Watson showed he's the real deal. Along with him, they have Brandon Weeden who's a quality veteran backup, something again we don't have. Still more starts than our unit combined.

Baltimore - Joe Flacco isn't great, but he's at least decent and won a Super Bowl. He has shown he can play well when he wants to, and has far more experience (getting old stating this) than everyone we have combined. As backups, they have RGIII, and Lamar Jackson. RGIII and Flacco can teach their rookie in Jackson far more than Peterman and McCarron can teach Allen.

Got it experience means more to you than most. Cool maybe we should sign McCown (though he sucks) is experienced. Lol

• Like (+1) 1

Depends... 

what metric are you using? Most likely to win a game week 1? Most likely to have a franchise guy long term? 

We have the most volatile ranking going into the ceiling. It could easily be 32nd, or much higher.

Quantify "worst".  Are we talking week 1 starters?  Backups?  Potential?  You noted "situation", so let's play all-or-nothing.  If the Bills have the worst, then there should be no team you wouldn't want to make a wholesale swap with, then.  If we are the worst, it would only make sense to perform a full swap with any other team.  Right now would you trade all our QBs for all of Miami's?  Jax's?  Detroit?  Tampa?  If you answered 'no' to any of those, you don't think we have the worst QB situation in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, The Red King said:

Quantify "worst".  Are we talking week 1 starters?  Backups?  Potential?  You noted "situation", so let's play all-or-nothing.  If the Bills have the worst, then there should be no team you wouldn't want to make a wholesale swap with, then.  If we are the worst, it would only make sense to perform a full swap with any other team.  Right now would you trade all our QBs for all of Miami's?  Jax's?  Detroit?  Tampa?  If you answered 'no' to any of those, you don't think we have the worst QB situation in the league.

There are very few teams i would trade even up for all of our QBs

Edited by Wily Dog

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Got it experience means more to you than most. Cool maybe we should sign McCown (though he sucks) is experienced. Lol

McCown is actually about to move into coaching so hell yeah i want McCown around my rookie, the guy is literally gonna be a QB coach next year.  Hes gonna show Darnold everything not to do. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it is likely that AJ turns out to be worse than Tyrod.

Allen is a project who is no supposed to be ready any time soon, if he is ever ready.

Peterman threw 5 picks in a half of football, which is some type of record.

So yeah, we have one of the worst situations in the league, if not dead bottom.

It can only get better!

6 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

I was arguing with a highly uneducated fellow about this earlier. For the record, I love the Allen pick and I think McCarron could be vastly underrated. But as it stands right now at this very moment, is there a team in the league that has a worse QB stable than us? Kansas City is kind of a question mark right now. Trubisky in Chicago has a year under his belt and should be better this season. Once again, I DO LIKE OUR QBs. I just think that on paper currently, we probably have the worst QB situation in the league

I posted something with a very similar title about a month and a half ago - something like "We Have the Worst QB Situation in the NFL."  And we did. AJ McCarron/Nate Peterman, no apparent starting quality QB of the present, and only the 21st and 22nd overall picks to grab a QB of the future in the draft.

But that all changed ... now, I think we're where a lot of teams are: apparently competent albeit uninspiring bridge starter, and talented albeit unproven rookie. I was worried; I'm not anymore. Oh, it may not work out at all. I mean, for all we know Josh Allen will be Paxton Lynch. But there's a plan, there's appropriate players slotted into the plan, and that's a world of difference over where we've been the last few seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Sky Diver said:

We significant upgraded the QB position since last year. Allen is a stud and McCarron is better then Taylor.

I don’t get the hand wringing and gloom and doom.

Well, this might be the message board equivalent of limburger cheese.  People who find it tasty can never, ever explain the appeal to people who prefer to "sniff and avoid"

I want both McCarron and Allen to succeed, but at this point, both the contention that Allen is a stud and the contention that McCarron > Taylor get "not proven" from me, and I don't understand the appeal of asserting what's not proven as though it is true

Allen was not a stud in college for (reasons).  He was highly regarded by some draft pundits despite flaws on tape.  We drafted him.  Let's hope he becomes a stud in the NFL, right now he's a rookie who is totally untried and unproven.

McCarron has been the Bengals backup QB for 4 years.  He started a number of games 3 years ago, in which he averaged ~191 ypg.  Folks here complained about Taylor's <200 ypg passing output this past year and Taylor has run game chops McCarron lacks.  Let's hope when he plays, he proves better than Tyrod, right now that's at best, 3 yr old data.

To me, it's not "hand wringing and gloom and doom", it's just a reality check.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

OK I'll try this another way.

Can we distinguish between "potential" and "demonstrated ability"?

At present, we have 2 QB on the team with talent and high potential.   We are not interested in making a wholesale swap with a number of other teams, because of that high potential.

But at the same time, a QB we may assess as having less talent, and lower potential - Blake Bortles let's say - actually completed 60% of his passes, pass for >1 TD per game, throw less than 1 INT per game, and pass for 60% more TD than INTs.  He generated ~300 yds of passing in his most recent playoff game.   He may have lower potential, but right now he has more demonstrated ability to play in the NFL.

I think we have one of the worst QB situations in the league because we have some of the lowest demonstrated ability, but I'm still not interested in swapping with a number of NFL teams because I think we have higher potential in our QB than they do.

• Like (+1) 1