Do we have the worst QB situation in the league?

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d say that as of opening day 2018 we may have the worst QB play in the league. That is different than worst QB situation to me though. The Bills have a young top pick at QB and not a lot of money tied up in the poisition. I think a team that has a ton of money tied up in a guy like Flacco or Tannehill is in a worse situation. I don’t think that the Giants situation is ideal either. They are coming off a terrible year with a 39 year-old QB that didn’t play well. There are a bunch of situations that the Bills are better than.

Absolutely.  That's about the best way to say it.  There's a strong chance we get some dreadful QB play this year.  But an argument can be made this is the best "QB Situation" we've had in ~20 years.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Absolutely.  That's about the best way to say it.  There's a strong chance we get some dreadful QB play this year.  But an argument can be made this is the best "QB Situation" we've had in ~20 years.

Completely agree....  Could be the best, could be the worst.  But lets go with the glass being half full!

I really don't get the national media constantly saying we have the worst QB situation in the NFL.  I really think you can make the argument that these are all very similar:

Jets:  McCown, Darnold, Bridgewater, HACKenberg

Bears: Trubisky, Bray, Daniel

Jaguars: Bortles, Lee, Kessler

Dolphins: Tannehill, Fales, Osweiler, Petty

25 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Completely agree....  Could be the best, could be the worst.  But lets go with the glass being half full!

I really don't get the national media constantly saying we have the worst QB situation in the NFL.  I really think you can make the argument that these are all very similar:

A large portion of the national media has decided Allen is already a bust.

IMO there seems to be a pretty clear dividing line, a large portion of those in the scouting community or former players are enamored with Allen's potential.  A large portion of those who only write for a living who've never done any sort of scouting or really been in a locker room have decided he's a sure bust.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

A large portion of the national media has decided Allen is already a bust.

IMO there seems to be a pretty clear dividing line, a large portion of those in the scouting community or former players are enamored with Allen's potential.  A large portion of those who only write for a living who've never done any sort of scouting or really been in a locker room have decided he's a sure bust.

It’s a fine line too because a year ago at this time people may have said that the Texans was the worst QB situation in the league. Now, they have a potential star playing on a rookie deal. That is a dream situation. 

On 5/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, MAJBobby said:

Got it experience means more to you than most. Cool maybe we should sign McCown (though he sucks) is experienced. Lol

It just shows who knows football and who doesn't. Those that disregard the importance of having a veteran are those who don't.

McCown has been widely praised by experts and veterans, hall of famers and respected memebers of the league, and everyone with any knowledge and experience in league circles, up and down for his locker room presence, leadership and mentoring abilities.

It's the reason a lot of the best coaches and assistant coaches are former players who were backups in the league, not starters. There's a reason Frank Reich is a hot commodity and well respected among coaching circles and not Jim Kelly. It's the reason Jason Garrett has a HC coaching job and not Troy Aikman.

The backup signal callers end up being the ones that have great minds for coaching, and those that have been around the league for a long time pass on a lot of knowledge to younger QB's that find far more on-field success. Maybe pay attention to those with far more knowledge than us about the game instead of just assuming "backup = not important."

Edited by BigDingus

On 5/6/2018 at 7:51 PM, MAJBobby said:

Got it experience means more to you than most. Cool maybe we should sign McCown (though he sucks) is experienced. Lol

And if I didn't make it clear, hell yeah I'd want Josh McCown on this roster right now. You didn't watch many Jets games last year either did you? He at least helped them over achieve until he got injured, when they were predicted to be the worst team in the league last year.

In 13 games he averaged 225 yards per game, had 18 TD's to 9 INT's, a 67.3% completion rating, and 94.5 passer rating. Yeah, truly awful. For his career, he's thrown for 17,000+ yards, 97 TD's and 78 INT's with an 80.8 passer rating...as a backup and journeyman. 

******************************************************************************************************

Here's what other people and outlets, apparently who you're much smarter than, have said about him:

"Unofficially, McCown is the most giving teammate in the history of professional football. Officially, McCown is an incredible resource for any young signal caller hoping to learn the intricacies of playing the most important position in team sports. His winding 16-year journey through the NFL has included eight stops. I dare you to find one former teammate or coach that doesn't speak about him in effusive tones."

"McCown may not be the best player at his position on the field, but few quarterbacks in the game are considered to be better teachers. This is a future head coach we’re talking about. What McCown may lack in skill, he makes up for with his locker room presence, especially when it comes to helping younger signal callers."

"
McCown was an ancient wonder last season with limited means in New York"

"The elder statesman has been around the block more than a few times — the wisdom he could pass on to Darnold is endless. Whether it pertains to on-the-field matters, living life in the NFL or whatever else, there’s so much Darnold could learn from his new teammate."

And here's an article from yesterday contrasting Alex Smith's attitude and help with Patrick Mahomes compared to Big Ben's with Mason Rudolph - https://www.yahoo.com/news/listen-ben-patrick-mahomes-says-alex-smith-always-helping-192241618.html

And here's an article ranking all 32 NFL QB Rooms after the 2018 NFL Draft (Spoiler: Bills ranked exactly where they should be)  - 

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/nfl-quarterback-rankings-team-by-team-depth-charts-2018-nfl-draft/dqwmovshyin1szrr3sfoyns5

"32. Buffalo Bills

QB depth chart: AJ McCarron, Josh Allen, Nathan Peterman

McCarron's value at one point was overrated by the Browns and other teams, and his backup-like contract in Buffalo validates that. The Bills having less than a reliable stopgap doesn't mesh with Allen being such a project. Peterman will need to recover from his being shellshocked as a rookie."

Edited by BigDingus

Ha...

1. Kansas City (they have crap at QB)

2. Chicago (they have crap at QB)

3. NYJ (they have crap at QB)

4. Miami (they have crap at QB)

5. Arizona (they have crap at QB)

6. Denver (they have crap at QB)

7. Cleveland (they have crap at QB)

Thats just off the top of my head...and before people start with the rookies that were drafted or the dumbass that wants to beat his chest about Mahomes, they are all as unproven as what Buffalo has at QB.

3 hours ago, BigDingus said:

QB depth chart: AJ McCarron, Josh Allen, Nathan Peterman

Per the Brandon Beane of THE Buffalo Bills you have that wrong.    

AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman,  #3 Josh Allen

or more correctly the author of what you posted 

has that wrong.   

If Allen opens the season third on the depth chart this would be accurate.  Mccarron and Peterman shouldnt be a very long positional battle if Allen is who I think he is.  If Allen comes in works hard and picks up the offense I think the rest will be a wrap.  They want Allen to prove it to the team he is the guy and earns it.  Allen has done that his whole life and expects this to be no differant.  

I kinda was let down last season that the offense couldn't form it's identity. That is what left me feeling skeptical moving forward. So before I even worry about any of the QBs on the roster looking good, I want the entire offenseive situation to get better. 

Hopefully Daboll is a wizard. This team is in need of an innovative OC. I want a team only focused on doing anything to score points and do it frequently. I have this fear they will have to turtle up on offense again. I don't want Shady running in to Brick Walls and having every ball checked down to him. 

These QBs are going to have to take what's given to them. Not the most ideal situation. They will have to take every opportunity because they might not come frequently. 

We could of went deeper in the playoffs if the offense was more bloodthirsty. I do believe it will happen when it's more assembled. 

Edited by Lfod

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Per the Brandon Beane of THE Buffalo Bills you have that wrong.    

AJ McCarron, Nathan Peterman,  #3 Josh Allen

or more correctly the author of what you posted 

has that wrong.   

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

If Allen opens the season third on the depth chart this would be accurate.  Mccarron and Peterman shouldnt be a very long positional battle if Allen is who I think he is.  If Allen comes in works hard and picks up the offense I think the rest will be a wrap.  They want Allen to prove it to the team he is the guy and earns it.  Allen has done that his whole life and expects this to be no differant.  

I think that this is correct and sort of a Bills tradition. The rookies aren’t allowed to change in the locker room in the facility until they make the roster. They have to use the locker room in the stadium. I don’t know if that has changed but it was the case anyways.

The Bills try to make guys “earn” it regardless of how obvious it is. Anyone can pretend that Allen is 3rd or Edmunds needs to earn it. The reality is that when the lights go on that won’t be the case. FWIW, I actually think that it’s kind of stupid. You don’t need to treat your prized rookie QB like every other guy that hasn’t earned it. Nobody is fooled by it. It would be a much better idea to put him between Kyle and McCarron now. They should have Edmunds next to Zo. These guys will learn a lot more about being pros that way. It isn’t a huge deal but it’s pretty stupid.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that this is correct and sort of a Bills tradition. The rookies aren’t allowed to change in the locker room in the facility until they make the roster. They have to use the locker room in the stadium. I don’t know if that has changed but it was the case anyways.

The Bills try to make guys “earn” it regardless of how obvious it is. Anyone can pretend that Allen is 3rd or Edmunds needs to earn it. The reality is that when the lights go on that won’t be the case. FWIW, I actually think that it’s kind of stupid. You don’t need to treat your prized rookie QB like every other guy that hasn’t earned it. Nobody is fooled by it. It would be a much better idea to put him between Kyle and McCarron now. They should have Edmunds next to Zo. These guys will learn a lot more about being pros that way. It isn’t a huge deal but it’s pretty stupid.

Its to avoid playing a guy to early.  I get it.  You have a room full of 25 to 30 year old millionaires.  Many have families and you cant tell them their success and chance of being a champion rides on the shoulders of a 21 year old kid.  If he is worthy of the 7th pick he comes in earns his spot and the team follows him.  You cant fake that.  When you do it ends terribly.

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Its to avoid playing a guy to early.  I get it.  You have a room full of 25 to 30 year old millionaires.  Many have families and you cant tell them their success and chance of being a champion rides on the shoulders of a 21 year old kid.  If he is worthy of the 7th pick he comes in earns his spot and the team follows him.  You cant fake that.  When you do it ends terribly.

At the same time do you think that there is a single guy in the locker room that doesn’t know Allen will be out there as soon as he is ready (or maybe before)? The writing is on the wall. 

5 hours ago, TheBeane said:

How is the Chiefs’ situation better than ours? They are handing the job to an unknown second year guy and have no one of AJ’s caliber backing him up.

Edited by mannc

...hell we MUST be the worst......even Browns are in the wild card hunt already with TT at the helm.....

The Browns are legit wild-card sleepers

Mike Clay -ESPN Writer

This might be hard for anyone born after 1960 to believe, but the Cleveland Browns used to be good.

In fact, they once were a powerhouse. Their dominance between their inaugural season in 1946 and 1955 makes Bill Belichick's New England Patriots look less like a dynasty and more like a -- cue the air quotes -- "dynasty." Cleveland won 10 consecutive division titles and made the championship game every year over that stretch. The Browns won seven championships and added one more in 1964, trailing only the Green Bay Packers (13) and Chicago Bears (9) on the all-time list.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23453136/cleveland-browns-nfl-playoff-wild-card-sleepers-2018

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Just now, mannc said:

How is the Chiefs’ situation better than ours? They are handing the job to an unknown second year guy and have no one of AJ’s caliber backing him up.

Not disagreeing with you one bit.  Another very unknown QB situation...

Just didn't think of the chiefs right off the top of my head.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t expect Nate to be more than 2 from here on out.

that being said.  

No one should be handed a spot  period.  

27 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don’t expect Nate to be more than 2 from here on out.

that being said.  

No one should be handed a spot  period.  

That’s fine in theory but not practical. As a hypothetical, what if Allen shows up out of shape, doesn’t work hard and has a bad attitude. Should they never play him? Johnny Manziel was on drugs and they ran him out here. An NFL team has to get their 1st round pick on the field or they go on the hot seat. You can buy a year with a rookie QB but no one else. If the picks don’t work out you go on the hot seat. That’s just the reality. There are 3 potential results: they don’t play (hot seat), they aren’t good (hot seat), or they play well (job security). That’s the nature of the business. These guys are tasked with identifying guys, investing heavily and being right. The whole “earn it” thing makes people feel well but it isn’t realistic.