Front Seven projections?

What is everyone expecting from the reshaped defensive front?  The defense did about as well as you can without a very good pass rush last year.  This regime has done a nice job reshaping the defensive front this offseason to something with a lot of potential.  The sack numbers were dreadful.  There was a lack of pressure up the middle and the edge guys were just too late.  With the injection of a space eater in Star, a potential solid pass rusher in Murphy and a lot of depth including the third pick, Harrison Phillips.  With a lot of new faces, what are the expectations for the upcoming year with the defensive front? 

Personally, I've loved the additions on the front line.  Murphy, Star and Phillips seem to fit Buffalo like a glove.  I am interested to see how these three impact Hughes, Lawson and Williams play.  Those three had a tough time last year getting to the QB.  I am hoping that better talent at DT will eat up more blockers allowing other players to get to the QB as opposed to last season getting pushed around at times.  

I expect this defense to turn it around a bit in the sack category and be much more effective against the run.  This regime really has done a nice job of injecting a lot of talent in the front 7.  I see Hughes having a better year as well as Lawson.  I am in the pro-Lawson camp, I know that crowd as thinned a bit but Lawson really looked solid against the run at times and made a good amount of tackles for a guy that was in a rotation.  I think he would have ended with 6-7 sacks last season and 50 tackles if he didn't get hurt, I am happy with that for now.  Murphy will be a nice pass rushing piece as well. I would love to see a little more Alexander blitzes and am hoping to see a good amount from Edmunds as well to create a lot of pass rush this season and let those DBs do what they did best for a good portion of the season last year. 

I was hoping for significant improvement of the front 7 this offseason and the front office did not disappoint.  Very interested to see how all of those pieces plays together.  With a lot of solid talent in front of Edmunds, I expect him to quickly become very productive and Milano will have his opportunities to shoot the gaps as well.  The potential on this defense is very exciting, can't wait for camp!  

Edited by Buffalo30
  • Like (+1) 2

Solid upgrades for one offseason as far as i can tell.  I think if we can land one more elite prospect to the line and one more above average LB the D could be a close to finished product if you will..... Next offseason that is. 

Edited by TheBeaneBandit
More to add

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Hughes, Star, Kyle, Murphy

Alexander, Edmunds, Milano

I think this is probably how the majority of the snaps shake out. I am interested in how they use Murphy/Hughes on obvious run downs and what kind of role Shaq plays.

12 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Hughes, Phillips, Williams, Shaq

Did you miss FA?

2 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

If Alexander is a starter next September,that will be a problem.The second big wave of releases will be happening soon...we will get another olb...one year deal.

Why?  The defense did well last year with him starting and over the off-season added a lot of talent.

3 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

If Alexander is a starter next September,that will be a problem.The second big wave of releases will be happening soon...we will get another olb...one year deal.

I think we will see Alexander blitzing more and covering less.  Last year, we didn't have a lot of depth.  I think this year we will use him less in coverage.  He is an effective pass rusher.

5 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I think this is probably how the majority of the snaps shake out. I am interested in how they use Murphy/Hughes on obvious run downs and what kind of role Shaq plays.

They have really nice depth for the rotation.  Am excited to see how keeping the players fresh helps out a talented group of guys such as this.

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think he is with us one more year

Lorax is extremely versitle.

Yet he looked like he was a step slow last season as he missed quite a few tackles. Personally I think we should find a MLB (Navarro Bowman's on my short list) and have Edmunds play SLB.

• Like (+1) 1

Shaq   Star   Kyle   Jerry

Edmunds     Stanford     Milano

But i also think they play  a lot of big nickel with a extra safety. I think Neal is going to surprise people.  

I think Hughes benefits tremendously. Also, by the end of the season, Harrison Phillips will be the best DT on our roster. 100+ tackles in 14 games from the NT position at Stanford! He will be VERY successful and will remain a long time Bill and fan favorite.

14 minutes ago, wppete said:

This is it. On the back end we all know.

Tre White, Micha Hide, Poyer and Davis. 

And Taron is the starting Nickel Back. I like that pick. We still need another CB outside because of Davis' age, but we'll have plenty of money to spend next year to plug holes. Looking forward to seeing the OL upgraded. I hope Allen and Edmunds were worth trading up because we could have drafted a new starting C and G with those 2nd round picks.Still need an OLB to replace Lo soon as well as a speed receiver.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This.  Although I do expect them to add another LB that can hopefully help Edmunds and Milano in the LB room as well as play MLB or SLB. Alexander is one of my favorites, but the majority of his experience is on the DL and pass rushing. I’m sure he can and will help the kids, but I’d like to add someone else.  Our depth is terrible and Alexander is not really equipped to be a dependable SLB.  

I agree with those above who projected our front 7 to be:

This is, of course, based on WHO IS ON THE ROSTER RIGHT NOW.  We may well add a LB between now and the start of the season who could start (likely in Lorax's spot).  I think we are set on the line.  I also agree with the post directly above this one that says we are thin at LB.

2 hours ago, jr1 said:

Hughes, Phillips, Williams, Shaq

And sit the $10 million dollar man? 

It'll be Hughes/Star/Kyle/Shaq with Murphy and Phillips subbing on plays.

Secondary is obvious

Edited by BuffAlone