Anyone else having a rough week of work?

7 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

So, I am in commercial insurance and write some heavy transportation accounts. I write a waste hauler that I split with a former co-worker who recently went to another agency. This account pays our agency $142,000 in revenue (about $1.4M in premium). The agent gets 33% of that annually. 

When my co-worker left the principals at the agency re-assigned his accounts and appointed one owner to each of them as well. They wanted me to relinquish 25% of the revenue to one of the partners for him working on it with me. It amounts to about $12k a year in actual money to me. So about a month goes by and I’m pretty pissed off because I absolutely do not need any assistance to keep this account. The owner would adopt me. I didn’t think that I should pay the owner $12k as I’m already paying the agency almost $100k a year for that account. I went to the partners and said my piece. I’m not sure that they totally agreed but they deferred to me. I was pretty adamant on it. It is my relationship that has brought the account in and kept it here. It would have been me just making a donation to him.

Now, he is making my life a living hell. The guy makes like $2m+ a year and he’s throwing a passive aggressive hissy fit. He’s ripping apart my work and CCing the other partners on it. I’m getting emails in bold, underlines with exclamation points of things that i should have done differently. Half of what he is saying isn’t even accurate. He’s basically spent the last 24 hours auditing the account and I know that his endgame is to get his partners to give him back 25% of the revenue. He’s really good at what he does but he is making my life miserable. If I would have kept my mouth shut I wouldn’t have to be playing this defense but at the same time it would have been $1k a month out of my pocket. I’m usually a pretty level-headed guy but I’m on the verge of snapping. He’s made my life miserable, my assitant’s life miserable, the marketing rep is taking as much heat as me!! I’ve had my office door shut for 2 days. Anyone have any advice???

Are the other partners reasonable?  Are you tight with any of them?

If you're valuable to the company, I think the other partners may intervene on your behalf if this pettiness runs the risk of a top performer leaving the firm if it continues unchecked.  They're copied on the emails so you're not ratting him out.

3 hours ago, Koko78 said:

1.) Document everything both you and he does with your accounts. Print out multiple hard copies of all of those emails he sends, as well as the documentation that he's full of crap, so the information don't magically disappear if/when you have to start taking more assertive action. Do not leave the hard copies in your office.

2.) Talk to the other partners one at a time, explain your side of the story, especially that he is fabricating a lot of the nonsense he is very publicly accusing you of. Show them the proof that he's lying, and risking millions of dollars in revenue with his little temper tantrum. You're not going to make him go away on your own, but if the other partners tell him to STFU, he'll have to listen.

3.) This is underhanded, but start talking to your big accounts about him, and that they need to be wary of dealing with him. Use your relationship with them to undermine him, without alienating the customers. If big accounts start telling the higher-ups that they're only going to deal with you, what are the powers-that-be going to do?

4.) Go into his office unannounced when every else is at lunch, close the door, pimp slap him across the face, knock him on his ass, and then have a very blunt discussion as to why you feel his actions are inappropriate, and that he's going to very clearly (and carefully) explain to you what the problem is. Repeat the pimp slap as necessary. Try not to leave marks. Have an alibi and a fall guy ready. I volunteer @Boyst62.

Crushed garlic under the heater, or in a closet. Rubs into carpet, and almost impossible to find.

I'm not sure whether to be ashamed, or if I should love that you came up with point 3. I always liked your posts because of the avy, but I have a new found level of respect for you. Point 3, that's me. And let me tell you... that works. What you do is you look at your phone like you just got an annoying text or email, and just start muttering under your breath at first. Then you just come out and say whatever incompetence or personal fabrications you want. Maybe make it sound like you're constantly covering for him on accounts. 

Usually I like to do this when I feel like know the person receiving the information well enough to know what kind of faults would really damage their view of an individual. 

I've revealed too much, I'm a sociopath.

Also, fish in the ceiling is another good one.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

I appreciate the advice from everyone on here and sorry for the whining. Lastly if you own a business or a farm with 50,000+ bees ( @Boyst62) I will be happy to help you out with the insurance. Just don’t be surprised when I come here to complain about how difficult you are :). 

Seriously, though thank you guys for the advice. It really has been exhausting but I think after today it will blow over some. Who needs a therapist when we have TBD?

Challenge him to a ski off. If you win, you get to keep your client and the mountain. At least that's how it worked in this sweet 90's movie I saw recently.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Challenge him to a ski off. If you win, you get to keep your client and the mountain. At least that's how it worked in this sweet 90's movie I saw recently.

ahhh...better off dead?

It's minor in the big picture, but we lost half of monday due to our internet being down and then half of wednesday due to a server being down.  This just happens to be the one week where I did what I never do and told someone I'd have something finished by a specific date.

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

1 hour ago, teef said:

ahhh...better off dead?

South Park did an episode on it too. “Stan Darsh”

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

You gotta be careful with that. If you french fry when you're supposed to pizza you're going to have a bad time.

• Haha (+1) 1

22 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Get your resume ready.

Seriously.  Only time I've seen anyone successfully go up against a partner is when a partner once threatened to beat the **** out of me in front of the whole company...he was kicked out the door that day, and only because it couldn't be covered up.  I know people who were physically abused by partners at their companies who were let go for complaining about the abuse.  

This just reinforces what I wrote.  

It's probably not even the money to him, so much as he perceives you as having successfully challenged his authority.

You certainly have a special way with people!  :)

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I fired a guy last month, and he thanked me for it.

I have many special ways with people.

Did you say “you’re welcome”? It’s the polite thing to do....I think...

17 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Think before you deliver the blow..think hard..you could kill him if you did that.

Funny/not very funny story .... I just found out that I need to travel for work in a couple weeks .... and this clown is going, too.

Start taking the bus/subway/etc to work. Look for someone who always looks pissed off. Become their friend. Find out who is pissing them off. Suggest that you both could solve each others problem. You "take care of" their problem, they take care of the partner. Then never talk to them again. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Start taking the bus/subway/etc to work. Look for someone who always looks pissed off. Become their friend. Find out who is pissing them off. Suggest that you both could solve each others problem. You "take care of" their problem, they take care of the partner. Then never talk to them again. 

Alfred Hitchcock’s version...Strangers on a Train

or

Danny DeVito...Throw Momma from the Train