one thing that has gone unmentioned - talent level on D

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't rule out a vet offensive lineman who gets cut somewhere ending up here either. There are usually 1 or 2 who get let go shortly after the draft by a team that selected one. 

I think that a training camp trade for Bulaga could definitely happen 

They have McCray, Spriggs, and our boy Kyle Murphy waiting in the wings to take the RT job, and Bulaga already refused a pay cut 

• Like (+1) 3

Last year the D created a lot of turnovers early and were surprisingly very good. Then they went for a long stretch without creating a lot and they were crushed. The year end stats were somewhat misleading because they were either very good - at least at keeping teams out of the endzone - or they were brutal.

4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I like the D overall, but I don't know if making a 20 year old rookie the MLB is a wise idea.

Time will tell.

LB is generally a position where production comes early. Heck, the best part of Kiko's career was his first 8 games (although to be fair he's been pretty solid for Miami).

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, njbuff said:

I like the D overall, but I don't know if making a 20 year old rookie the MLB is a wise idea.

Time will tell.

There might be a few struggles at first, but his bloodlines say he'll get to grips with it sooner rather than later, imho.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Who do we have that's going to keep gazelles like Blake Bortles from running all over us?

Edmunds will vaporize him, eliminating that threat. 

I am having flashbacks of Peyton Manning lumbering left for 30+ yards against us years ago. It seemed to eat up most of the quarter.....:wacko:

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, SWATeam said:

I like Trent Murphy and I'm higher on Shaq than most.  I'm also hopeful that LoRax will be a situational pass rusher at DE, not a LB.  

I think Hughes had a down year due to being the only pass rush threat.  Hopefully he can get more 1 on 1's this year.

with a monster front 4 push, it will open up our ends and make our POOR lb look much better. the big bad bills are back!

not to mention, i hear next year willl feature d lineman?

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

There might be a few struggles at first, but his bloodlines say he'll get to grips with it sooner rather than later, imho.

after preseason, he will be fine. his lineage has taught him everything than can possibly happen. don't under estimate these guys growing up within an nfl family.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Time will tell.

he was bottled fed nfl football, just wait until the end of august.....

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

LB is generally a position where production comes early. Heck, the best part of Kiko's career was his first 8 games (although to be fair he's been pretty solid for Miami).

if a 3rd rd. pick p. brown can step in and take the job, he will be ok.

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

That's next year's task. Hard to do everything at once!

That, and retooling the running backs.  Shady may or may not stick around.  He's at an age where he could hit the wall anytime, but even if he stays and is productive, Beane will want to add some youth to the backfield besides at QB.

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

That's what worries me.

I read a study somewhere that showed unsurprisingly that offensive and defensive rankings are not  random from year to year.  There tends to be some degree of continuity across seasons even with players coming, going, and getting hurt.  For example, if a defense allowed a lot of yards last year, it probably will again this year.  This is worrisome because neither our O nor our D performed well statistically in 2017.

This is hard to understand.  Teams have dramatically improved by changing one or two players in the area of need.  For example, when we added Mount Washington to our DL, we became the #1 against rush (or something close)...When we lost Pat Williams, our run defense sucked!!  As recently,  when Mario Williams was on the line, our sack totals were big;  without him not so much as teams are double-teaming Hughes.

8 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not to be a Debbie Downer but...

We were in the bottom half of offensive yards gained and defensive yards allowed last year.  We've got a lot of work to do.

Even if our defense manages to jump into the upper half of the rankings this season, it won't be enough to carry a weak offensive unit into the playoffs.  

I do agree that our D will be better this year.  But I don't see it as a top ten squad yet.   The front 7 as a whole was not stellar last year and while Star is a welcomed addition, he hasn't been dominant lately.  And I'm not sure we have enough good DBs when you consider there are 5 or more on the field on most plays.

Really hope I'm wrong.

yep.
wait and see. Fun to watch the secondary last year and that should be steady or better.
lets see about those LBS..

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Edmunds

Coaching ?

6 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

First off thanks Logic for putting a first look at a base D.

I'm asking you or others, wasn't it one of Trent Murphy's pluses that he can play DE and strong side LB?

It is not my belief that Trent Murphy would be very effective as a strong side LB in McDermott's zone heavy 4-3. He could moonlight there every now and again, but not full time. That's just my opinion.

When I look at the roster as currently constructed, I see two glaring holes: WR2 (Zay should be in the slot for maximum effectiveness) and Strong side linebacker. If the Bills can somehow find a downfield threat and stopgap linebacker, I'll feel a lot better. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

If we sign another LB to push Lorax to depth LB/situational pass rusher, our defense, on paper, is a monster. 

Let's not get carried away here. The DL looks solid, but it is far from elite. The LB position lacks both a third legitimate starter and decent depth. At least the DB's have the potential to be considered elite.

2019 is the year when I fully expect the defense to join the ranks of the truly elite defenses like Jacksonville. One more draft plus freeing up $40 million in dead cap should be enough to patch up the LB's and bring in genuine Pro Bowl caliber pass rushers.

You forgot one other important thing, we have two solid QBs locked up very cheap. A bridge QB on a very team friendly contract and the #7 overall pick on a cheap 5 year contract. If Allen comes on strong we are going to have a lot of cap space to build a contender like the Eagles did with Wentz.

22 minutes ago, BiffFromTonawanda said:

Let's not get carried away here. The DL looks solid, but it is far from elite. The LB position lacks both a third legitimate starter and decent depth. At least the DB's have the potential to be considered elite.

2019 is the year when I fully expect the defense to join the ranks of the truly elite defenses like Jacksonville. One more draft plus freeing up $40 million in dead cap should be enough to patch up the LB's and bring in genuine Pro Bowl caliber pass rushers.

I think are D will be top 5 this season and then elite next season.  I am hoping we lure Khalil Mack back home.  Wow would our D be sick with Mack added!

8 hours ago, BiffFromTonawanda said:

I'm pretty bullish on this defense, given the talent level relative to fit/scheme.  The DL should be above average.  I truly feel our edge rushers will look much, much better this year now that we've have legit DT's in the fold, along with the addition of Murphy.

At LB, we have Edmunds and Milano, who are not only talented but perfect fits for what McDermott wants his linebackers to do.  We could absolutely use an upgrade at Lorax's spot and move him to depth LB/situational pass rusher.  Stanford is a guy we went out a targeted as a FA, and Jets fans seem pretty high on him wishing he would've gotten a bigger chance in NY.  Humber is ok depth and Vallejo is a young guy who, again fits the LB mold of speed speed speed.   We could also see Neal as the 3rd LB/in the box safety.  I'll concede that this unit I'm high on due to potential, relative to the youth at the position, than any concrete data.

Most would acknowledge we have one of the best secondaries in the NFL.  White, Poyer and Hyde and all big time players.  Vontae Davis is the wild card.  If he regains even 75% of his form, this unit is outstanding.  Neal/Bush give us safety depth and Johnson/P. Gaines gives us DB depth. 

I think this defense, led by Frazier and McDermott, could be a top 10 defense.  If Edmunds can play right away and Vontae Davis regains his form, they absolutely should be, without question.

Edited by SCBills

Couldn't agree more. This has the potential to be a REALLY good Defense... Especially under McDermott. Remember when our last head coach took the best defense in the league and destroyed it? It feels good to have competent coaching again.