2019 Mock Drafts and top prospects

thunderingsquid

On 1/16/2019 at 12:09 PM, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree with Blokes about Cajuste.  Not sure he goes top 5 but he definitely goes top 10 and is going to be the first offensive lineman taken.  We have seen this before - the early offseason "consensus" top LT is a technician who probably has hit his ceiling already (Jonah) - they almost always get leapfrogged by an athletic riser who tests well at the combine and has room to grow into the position.  That's Cajuste - his ceiling is higher than any other offensive lineman in the class.  And it wouldn't shock me at all if the Bills are hoping he falls to 9 - he'd be the pick in a heartbeat.

The medicals will be important at the combine........his reconstructed knee........and the subsequent problems with it could blow up his early draft status.

Don't need another Big Mike or Cyrus situation with an early round pick.

He's also a Kelvin Benjamin-esque 23 year old draft prospect in an age where that's notably over-aged.

Don't see many first rounders hitting free agency at 29 anymore.   It's an underclassmen's league.   

On 1/8/2019 at 8:48 AM, Blokestradamus said:

Fortune favours the brave, my friend.

I think Yodny is the total package. I expect that he'll test really well, especially in the 3-cone. Add into the equation that he's technically, athletically and conceptually head and shoulders above Greg Little and the NFL has proven time and again that they'll overthink Jonah because of his length, I think he stands a real chance of being OT1 come April.

As noted above the reconstructed knee and the over-age/potential-that-he's-maxed-out concern me as an early prospect.

Of course he was part of the raping of the traditional U of Miami recruiting grounds by Holgorsen and Charlie Strong and Dabo during the Miami's Al Golden chaos years.........so maybe I hold a grudge too.:devil:

• Like (+1) 2

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:11 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

As noted above the reconstructed knee and the over-age/potential-that-he's-maxed-out concern me as an early prospect.

I'm with you. I actually don't really like him as a day 1 or high day 2 guy to be honest. Is it just me or does he seem slow to set in pass protection? It appears to me that often when he gives up pressures is is because the rusher is on him before he is set. Once he gets set I think he is a pretty good player - but I wonder whether the slow sets and the reconstructed knee are linked?

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm with you. I actually don't really like him as a day 1 or high day 2 guy to be honest. Is it just me or does he seem slow to set in pass protection? It appears to me that often when he gives up pressures is is because the rusher is on him before he is set. Once he gets set I think he is a pretty good player - but I wonder whether the slow sets and the reconstructed knee are linked?

We've certainly seen knee issues cause slow get-off/OL prospect-bust before.    If nerve damage is part of the equation it can be hard to get that quick twitch reaction out of a set stance..........that was an issue with Cyrus K.    And to me.........I also have to grade his play on a curve........he's been playing in that air-raid system for 5 years........and he started off his freshman year at 18.5 years so he wasn't like a lot of these early arrival kids.   His upside has to be considered if you are using a very early chip on him.    

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Using Matt Miller's latest board:

YOUR PICKS

1: R1P9 - DL ED OLIVER, HOUSTON
2: R2P9 - WR DK METCALF, OLE MISS
3: R3P7 - G CONNOR MCGOVERN, PENN STATE
4: R4P11 - TE CALEB WILSON, UCLA
5: R4P29 - RB JALIN MOORE, APP STATE
6: R5P10 - CB JUSTIN LAYNE, MICHIGAN STATE
7: R5P20 - WR TERRY MCLAURIN, OHIO STATE
8: R6P9 - OT OLI UDOH, ELON
9: R7P8 - S JOHN BATTLE, LSU
10: R7P14 - RB LJ SCOTT, MICHIGAN STATE

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

Am I missing something on Brian Burns?

I put him right up there with Bosa and Allen.  Long, Bendy, and nuanced.    

I think his draft position will be strongly affected by his combine measures and performance.  I have seen his weight listed as light as 220 at 6’4” or 6’5”.  If he comes in heavier, shows well in the strength and speed events, he could go pretty high.  

Questions include could he play 4-3 OLB or hold up as a 4-3 DE?  If he shows up at under 240, he probably can’t play 4-3 DE, but might be a good candidate as a 3-4 OLB.

Edited by OldTimer1960

7 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I think his draft position will be strongly affected by his combine measures and performance.  I have seen his weight listed as light as 220 at 6’4” or 6’5”.  If he comes in heavier, shows well in the strength and speed events, he could go pretty high.  

Questions include could he play 4-3 OLB or hold up as a 4-3 DE?  If he shows up at under 240, he probably can’t play 4-3 DE, but might be a good candidate as a 3-4 OLB.

I think he's a 4-3 end.  Plays with his hands in the dirt more than not.

Polite, on the other hand, I see as a 3-4 OLB.  But he is super bendy and explosive as well.

Edited by SWATeam

16 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I think he's a 4-3 end.  Plays with his hands in the dirt more than not.

Polite, on the other hand, I see as a 3-4 OLB.  But he is super bendy and explosive as well.

Burns might be more experienced at 4-3 end, bu unless he can get to 250 lbs without losing much speed, flexibility, explosiveness he will have trouble in the NFL, in my opinion. 250 is even pretty light for an every down 4-3 end and I won’t be surprised if he is considerably lighter than that.

Round 1 Pick 18 (MINN): Ford, Cody, OG/OT, Oklahoma 
Round 2 Pick 8: Brown, Marquise, WR, Oklahoma 
Round 2 Pick 18 (MINN): Jones, Dre'Mont, DT, Ohio State 
Round 2 Pick 31 (K.C.): Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa 
Round 3 Pick 17 (MINN): Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College 
Round 4 Pick 29: Hanks, Terrill, OLB, New Mexico State 
Round 5 Pick 18 (DEN): Granderson, Carl, DE, Wyoming 
Round 6 Pick 12 (G.B.): Renfrow, Hunter, WR, Clemson 
Round 7 Pick 12 (G.B.): Love, Bryce, RB, Stanford 
Round 7 Pick 14: Layne, Justin, CB, Michigan State 
Round 7 Pick 16 (ATL): Mustipher, Sam, C, Notre Dame 

A lot of trading. Maybe not realistic. A fan can dream...

Used the new tool on The Draft Network with their Predictive Board...

9 D.K. Metcalf, WR Mississippi

40 Dalton Risner, OT Kansas State

75 Darrell Henderson, RB Memphis

106 Dax Raymond, TE Utah State

125 Jalen Jelks, EDGE Oregon

137 Justice Hill, RB Oklahoma State

148 Montre Hartage, CB Northwestern

168 Demarcus Christmas, IDL Florida State

203 Jalen Hurd, WR Baylor

206 Kendall Joseph, LB Clemson

11 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

9 D.K. Metcalf, WR Mississippi

40 Dalton Risner, OT Kansas State

75 Darrell Henderson, RB Memphis

106 Dax Raymond, TE Utah State

125 Jalen Jelks, EDGE Oregon

148 Montre Hartage, CB Northwestern

168 Demarcus Christmas, IDL Florida State

203 Jalen Hurd, WR Baylor

206 Kendall Joseph, LB Clemson

Love it. Pretty realistic, too.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

Now, this is what I'm talking about. I fell in love with him when I watched him. Despite the lack of pass game work he got in college, I think he's going to be a great 3rd down back.

I don't like doing the whole "X is the new Y" thing but if someone asked me for the next Alvin Kamara in this RB class, it'd be Hill.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

Now, this is what I'm talking about. I fell in love with him when I watched him. Despite the lack of pass game work he got in college, I think he's going to be a great 3rd down back.

I don't like doing the whole "X is the new Y" thing but if someone asked me for the next Alvin Kamara in this RB class, it'd be Hill.

Have you looked at my man Jalin Moore? Not that he's the next Kamara, I just like him.

Using TDN's predictive board, I personally love the way it worked out (assuming OLine is mainly addressed in free agency), but I definitely do not expect as many skill position guys to be drafted as I did; the draft board just fell in a way where I felt like these guys were too good to pass up.

9. Ed Oliver, DT, Houston - To me, Oliver is still a top 3-5 prospect in the draft and he addresses what is IMO a need for this team; pretty easy decision IMO.

40. Dalton Risner, Anywhere on the O-Line, Kansas State - I feel pretty confident that if he actually falls here, Buffalo will ***** him up. Seems like he's this year's Harrison Phillips in terms of guys that are exactly what Buffalo covets.

74. Isaac Nauta, TE, Georgia - Might be a late riser; Nauta is athletic but not really flexible in terms of quick-twitch athleticism, but he's got good hands and plays hard.

106. Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma - Might have been the #1 RB taken if he had avoided injuries.

125. Stanley Morgan, Jr., WR, Nebraska - I have him rated around #6 or #7 WR in the class; has great hands and knows how get open

137. DaMarkus Lodge, WR, Ole Miss - More of a raw developmental guy IMO. Has decent size at 6'1" and pairs it with 4.4 speed to be a legitimate deep threat.

148. Derrick Baity, CB, Kentucky - Has the length that McBeane like to see in a corner and knows how to play the Cover 2 already

168. Jonathan Ledbetter, DE, Georgia - A bigger DE at roughly 275 lbs, but he always seemed to make plays whenever I watched Georgia.

203. Tyre Brady, WR, Marshall - My #3 or #4 WR in the draft; I will go down with this ship; I'm much higher on him than most people are.

206. James Williams, RB, Washington State - Often compared to New England's James White, I'd love to spend a Day 3 pick on a receiving back.

Edited by DCOrange

40 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm enjoying TDN's tool, but I'm hoping it gets better after the combine, because I'm not too sure about this.

d7C9qo0.jpg

We have a number of people who are knowledgeable about prospects. You have been posting your mock drafts for a long time. I consider you to be one of the best mock drafters on this board, and I'm including those who I have a high regard for. Your picks always seem to fall where their talent level would lead them to be. Your player selections usually fall within the intertwined boundaries of talent  and need. You do an excellent job with the mocks. You should be saluted. ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think I'm going to go for the record of Mock's on TDN...?

It is interesting to see how some things fall differently from Mock to Mock...

I have my favorite prospects already (Ozigbo and Hill for example), and I'm trying to stick to them...I like that I've been able to get Risner or Cajuste in each Mock at #40 (I prefer Risner)...Though I've yet to maneuver to land Bobby Evans , my sleeper at OT...

Anyway...I'll never not take D.K. at #9...If he's there, that's who I'm taking...?

9) D.K. Metcalf, WR Mississippi

40) Yodny Cajuste, OT West Virginia

74) Isaac Nauta, TE Georgia

112) Renell Wren, IDL Arizona State

131) Jalen Jelks, EDGE Oregon

147) Devine Ozigbo, RB Nebraska

158) Justice Hill, RB Oklahoma State

181) Blace Brown, CB Troy

225) Kendall Joseph, LB Clemson

228) Jalen Hurd, WR Baylor

On 2/26/2019 at 1:31 PM, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Have you looked at my man Jalin Moore? Not that he's the next Kamara, I just like him.

I took a look at his game vs PSU last season after seeing this. One game is a horrendous sample size but he doesn't seem like my type of RB. Feet seem to stop on contact quite a bit, looks very much like he'd be a pure IZ/OZ guy. His hands look really natural though and his pass pro isn't far off. Just needs to stop dropping his head into contact, had a few chances to light guys up and didn't take them. Blokes likes his RB's mean.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

I took a look at his game vs PSU last season after seeing this. One game is a horrendous sample size but he doesn't seem like my type of RB. Feet seem to stop on contact quite a bit, looks very much like he'd be a pure IZ/OZ guy. His hands look really natural though and his pass pro isn't far off. Just needs to stop dropping his head into contact, had a few chances to light guys up and didn't take them. Blokes likes his RB's mean.

I think he's process-y

2 hours ago, Blokestradamus said:

Bloke, What coded language are you speaking? What does IZ/OZ mean? Is this what is called Outback linguistics? :)

1 minute ago, Blokestradamus said:

Inside zone & outside zone. Sometimes I forget that I talk a completely different language to most.

Bloke, Be mindful of the natives. In some societies speaking in tongue is considered uncivil. After your translation I am less baffled and befuddled. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I think he means that Moore will have a successful start to his career if he goes to SF. ;)

Your linguistic knowledge is deep while I swim in very shallow waters. The advantage of where I swim is that there is less risk in drowning. :)

• Haha (+1) 1

I'm subscribed to International Sports Agency (ISA) on Youtube. They put up some footage of one of their clients, a punter from Arkansas Pine-Bluff (home of Terron Armstead of the Saints) called Jamie Gillan. He's also known as the "Scottish Hammer".

I've got to admit that he's intriguing. A lefty with a big old leg. Pretty well built dude, former rugby player that actually has an athletic profile to run fakes. He also rocks a mullet so I'm absolutely in favour of bringing him in as a UDFA.

Edited by Blokestradamus

1 hour ago, Blokestradamus said:

I'm subscribed to International Sports Agency (ISA) on Youtube. They put up some footage of one of their clients, a punter from Arkansas Pine-Bluff (home of Terron Armstead of the Saints) called Jamie Gillan. He's also known as the "Scottish Hammer".

I've got to admit that he's intriguing. A lefty with a big old leg. Pretty well built dude, former rugby player that actually has an athletic profile to run fakes. He also rocks a mullet so I'm absolutely in favour of bringing him in as a UDFA.

Blokes, You and I are sitting on opposite ends of the teeter totter.  What you find appealing about his mullet is what I find disqualifying. To me, it is a goofy look. I'm old school and I'm proud. Get off my lawn youngster before I pull out  my flip phone and call the police. :ph34r:

Edited by JohnC

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Blokes, You and I are sitting on opposite ends of the teeter totter.  What you find appealing about his mullet is what I find disqualifying. To me, it is a goofy look. I'm old school and I'm proud. Get off my lawn youngster before I pull out  my flip phone and call the police. :ph34r:

I've been growing my hair out for a couple of years and I've developed something of a natural mullet. I guess it's why I have such an affinity for the look.

Nothing wrong with business in the front and party in the back, you grumpy old man :)

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

I've been growing my hair out for a couple of years and I've developed something of a natural mullet. I guess it's why I have such an affinity for the look.

Nothing wrong with business in the front and party in the back, you grumpy old man :)

I have a recommendation for your: Wear a hat! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't think I'll ever have a mock draft play out this well for me again on The Draft Network:

9. Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama - #1 player in the draft IMO

40. Dalton Risner, OG/OT, Kansas State - One of, if not the highest graded O-Lineman per PFF and seems like the type of guy Buffalo loves

74. Dru Samia, OG, Oklahoma - Big part of the best O-Line in the country, Buffalo has scouted multiple OU games this season, met with him at the combine, and worked with him at his Pro Day

112. Darrell Henderson, RB, Memphis - IMO the #2 RB in the class

131. Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford - Big TE with good hands, didn't test well at the combine but looks better on tape IMO

147. Stanley Morgan Jr., WR, Nebraska - I have him pegged around the #5 WR in the class

158. Derrick Baity, CB, Kentucky - Think his skillset is perfect for this defense

181. Ben Burr-Kirven, LB, Washington - A depth pick here, undersized but solid LB

225. Tyre Brady, WR, Marshall - Like Stanley Morgan, I have him pegged in my top 5 WRs in this draft class, though he ran a slow 40 at his Pro Day unfortunately

228. Will Harris, S, Boston College - Been one of the leaders of one of the best secondaries in the country; good awareness and good athleticism but lacks playmaking skills.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3

Also with The Draft Network (Predictive Board)

9 Quinnen Williams, IDL Alabama - Fell to 9 for me as well (must be a top 5 pick in April)

40 Noah Fant, TE Iowa - Fell to 40, best rated player at this pick by far using their board

74 Andy Isabella, WR UMass - Fast, solid production, well worth a round 3 pick I think

112 Anthony Nelson, EDGE Iowa - Lengthy long defensive end, good height/weight 

131 Bobby Evans, OT Oklahoma - Overlooked, a solid pro in the making

147 Ben Burr-Kirven, LB Washington - Small but sheds blockers well, day 3 steal

158 Terronne Prescod, IOL NC State - Heavy and stout, will provide good competition

181 Hamp Cheevers, CB Boston College - Undersized with good college stats, no problem in round 6

225 James Williams, RB Washington State - Catches the ball extremely well, good weapon to have

228 Alec Ingold, RB Wisconsin - Willing and dependable blocker, either him or Wesco from WVU - time to make use of a fullback!

0cbe813959b8bc990c7a548d17a8e947_Bills.png

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Ed Oliver

IDL, Houston

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Kelvin Harmon

WR, NC State

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

JJ Arcega-Whiteside

WR, Stanford

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Tytus Howard

OT, Alabama State

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Alize Mack

TE, Notre Dame

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Devin Singletary

RB, FAU

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Beau Benzschawel

IOL, Wisconsin

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Demarcus Christmas

IDL, Florida State

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Bryce Love

RB, Stanford

Buffalo Bills

USER PICK

Ryan Finley

QB, NC State
Edited by Logic

9: R1P9 DL CHRISTIAN WILKINSCLEMSON
40: R2P8TE IRV SMITHALABAMA
74: R3P10EDGE JAYLON FERGUSON LOUISIANA TECH
112: R4P10WR ANTHONY JOHNSON BUFFALO
131: R4P29RB DARRELL HENDERSON MEMPHIS
147: R5P9BEN POWERS OKLAHOMA
158: R5P20 OT MARTEZ IVEY FLORIDA
181: R6P8DRU SAMIA OKLAHOMA
225: R7P11OT CHUMA EDOGA USC
228: R7P14OT ISAIAH PRINCE OHIO STATE
Edited by Pete

First-Pick. I moved around a lot. 

Round 1 Pick 11 (CINN): Oliver, Ed, DT, Houston 
Round 1 Pick 22 (BALT): Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa 
Round 2 Pick 13 (ATL): Allen, Zach, DE, Boston College 
Round 3 Pick 10: Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College 
Round 4 Pick 31 (LAR): Gaskin, Myles, RB, Washington 
Round 5 Pick 20: Jennings Jr, Gary, WR, West Virginia 
Round 6 Pick 22 (HOU): Cheevers, Hamp, CB, Boston College 
Round 7 Pick 11: Mustipher, Sam, C, Notre Dame 

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

First-Pick. I moved around a lot. 

Round 1 Pick 11 (CINN): Oliver, Ed, DT, Houston 
Round 1 Pick 22 (BALT): Hockenson, T.J., TE, Iowa 
Round 2 Pick 13 (ATL): Allen, Zach, DE, Boston College 
Round 3 Pick 10: Lindstrom, Chris, OG, Boston College 
Round 4 Pick 31 (LAR): Gaskin, Myles, RB, Washington 
Round 5 Pick 20: Jennings Jr, Gary, WR, West Virginia 
Round 6 Pick 22 (HOU): Cheevers, Hamp, CB, Boston College 
Round 7 Pick 11: Mustipher, Sam, C, Notre Dame 

How did you get a second 1st round pick without giving up either your 2nd or 3rd round picks? Seems impossible.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.