2019 Mock Drafts and top prospects

thunderingsquid

5 GREG LITTLE, Offensive Tackle Ole Miss

Ole Miss
The Buffalo Bills finally hosted a Monday Night Football game in Week 8, as they welcomed the hated New England Patriots to town. While this game looked like a complete mismatch on paper, the Bills definitely came to play in front of the Bills Mafia, even though the final score did not look like much of a contest.

These Bills actually played very well on defense against Tom Brady and company, but their offense was downright terrible with Derek Anderson under center. Star running back LeSean McCoy could not get anything going on the ground, as the Bills had to settle for too many field goals against a much better team.

During the 2018 NFL Draft, the Bills hopefully got their franchise quarterback, as they spent their first round pick on Josh Allen. If Allen is ever going to develop, the Bills need to  get better along the offensive line, especially at tackle, where the loss of Cordy Glenn has been pretty apparent this season.

Greg Little from Ole Miss is a tackle that is coming into the NFL that could definitely stay on the left side at the next level. The Bills need a guy who can protect Allen for the next five-to-ten seasons, and Little has the size, and strength to do just that. Buffalo has a long way to go, but Little would help a lot.

On 10/24/2018 at 3:16 PM, Bill from NYC said:

Even though that would be a continuation of the usual idiocy, I get the feeling that this would mark the beginning of the end of the franchise.

I understand your stance but under certain conditions I can go along with taking a different route. I'm assuming that the Bills would be drafting at a high position (safe assumption). If the Bills traded down and got additional picks and then selected a caliber of player such as Derwin James or an Alabama safety such as Deonte Tompson who are both ball hawk type of players then I wouldn't be automatically against that type of move. I'm not so much focused on a particular pick but looking at the body of work that includes all of the draft and free agency. For the sake of an argument if the Bills get two to three additional offensive linemen and added a couple of quality receivers through the draft and free agency then I'm not going to be critical of adding a play making DB. The issue comes down to not how you bolstered the roster but if you bolstered it and how much did you do so. 

Assuming we are going to have a high draft pick my preference right now would be to trade down a tad and add picks. Although you have an aversion to drafting DBs with high picks in this pass oriented league good defensive backs are at a premium. Last year, Cleveland used a very high first round pick on Ward from Ohio State. What their staff recognized is that although their DL was able to consistently pressure the qb their mediocre DBs couldn't cover well enough to take advantage of the line pressure. And by the way Ward is in the running for rookie defensive player which is an indication of his utility. 

22 hours ago, JohnC said:

I understand your stance but under certain conditions I can go along with taking a different route. I'm assuming that the Bills would be drafting at a high position (safe assumption). If the Bills traded down and got additional picks and then selected a caliber of player such as Derwin James or an Alabama safety such as Deonte Tompson who are both ball hawk type of players then I wouldn't be automatically against that type of move. I'm not so much focused on a particular pick but looking at the body of work that includes all of the draft and free agency. For the sake of an argument if the Bills get two to three additional offensive linemen and added a couple of quality receivers through the draft and free agency then I'm not going to be critical of adding a play making DB. The issue comes down to not how you bolstered the roster but if you bolstered it and how much did you do so. 

Assuming we are going to have a high draft pick my preference right now would be to trade down a tad and add picks. Although you have an aversion to drafting DBs with high picks in this pass oriented league good defensive backs are at a premium. Last year, Cleveland used a very high first round pick on Ward from Ohio State. What their staff recognized is that although their DL was able to consistently pressure the qb their mediocre DBs couldn't cover well enough to take advantage of the line pressure. And by the way Ward is in the running for rookie defensive player which is an indication of his utility. 

Well, the bolded, given the losses and the coaching changes, could also be indicative of FUTILITY.

Other than that, you and I am in perfect agreement. The Bills really should trade down if they get a good enough offer, which is probable.

Other than qb (at least for now), every single position on offense is a glaring need. We absolutely need receivers and blockers in the worst way. This offense might actually be worse than the Bills team on which Alex Van Pelt started for a while and John, that is a low bar indeed.

On defense, they need more pass rush and the best LB and DT are old. Call me crazy, but I think that a solid draft and some key free agents could make the Bills a contender.

Oh, and thanks for the plug for Deonte Tompson. He can play but watch out for his soph partner, Xavier McKinney. The Bama team next year might be much better than this one, especially on offense. Can you believe it? Tua and 3 excellent receivers will be eligible to out in the 2020 draft, along with a slew of other talented kids. I will keep you posted about 2019. One player to watch in Ross Pierschbacher. He is an interior lineman and now plays center. He is big and strong and has a bit of an attitude. I want to see bench press numbers on Jonah Williams who looks great on the Tide before I take a stand in terms of a very early pick.

Edited by Bill from NYC

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Well, the bolded, given the losses and the coaching changes, could also be indicative of FUTILITY.

Other than that, you and I am in perfect agreement. The Bills really should trade down if they get a good enough offer, which is probable.

Other than qb (at least for now), every single position on offense is a glaring need. We absolutely need receivers and blockers in the worst way. This offense might actually be worse than the Bills team on which Alex Van Pelt started for a while and John, that is a low bar indeed.

On defense, they need more pass rush and the best LB and DT are old. Call me crazy, but I think that a solid draft and some key free agents could make the Bills a contender.

Oh, and thanks for the plug for Deonte Tompson. He can play but watch out for his soph partner, Xavier McKinney. The Bama team next year might be much better than this one, especially on offense. Can you believe it? Tua and 3 excellent receivers will be eligible to out in the 2020 draft, along with a slew of other talented kids. I will keep you posted about 2019. One player to watch in Ross Pierschbacher. He is an interior lineman and now plays center. He is big and strong and has a bit of an attitude. I want to see bench press numbers on Jonah Williams who looks great on the Tide before I take a stand in terms of a very early pick.

With respect to Cleveland and Ward if their kicker was more proficient the Browns would be the talk of the town for turnarounds. They could have won at least another two games which would have dramatically changed how this woebegone team was perceived. When you have a HC who has been inept and presided over chaos and you continue on with him then you deserve what you get. The new GM should have been allowed to bring in his own coaching staff as he wanted. The owner for some peculiar reason said no. Any HC who brings on the pugnacious and much traveled Haley and is surprised that he is in a constant state of conflict with the players and staff is dumb and deserves to be unceremoniously fired.  

I'm not going to call you crazy because I agree with you that if this regime smartly utilizes its bountiful cap and full complement of draft picks this team could conceivably make a quantum leap forward. The big issue even if that is done is whether Josh Allen becomes the player that I think he can become. In my view unless the OL and receiver corps is dramatically strengthened he will be set up to fail. That would be a shame. 

I thought you might be interested in this WGR link with Joe Marino talking about the offseason. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/marino-bills-can-turn-things-around-offensively

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.