Start Allen from Day 1/ QB competition

Reading between the lines just listening to the Beane interview.... I think he expects Allen to win the job. That is not to say they will see it as a disaster if he doesn't, I think they are comfortable starting AJ for a few games but I had been under the impression starting AJ was plan A. Listening to Beane today (who always tells you things without meaning to) I don't think that anymore. I think they expect Josh to play in Baltimore. 

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Beane was on WGR this morning and I got the opposite impression from him. He said that it isn't fair to call Allen raw, and that the way he's been characterized in the media is wrong. It sounded to me like he thinks Allen will start sooner rather than later. I mean they found the absolute cheapest backup QB they could and supposedly Allen was at the top of their board, so the plan all along has been to draft him and let him compete for the starting spot immediately. Kelly the Dog is exactly right. He will win the #2 spot right away and I would bet he wins the starting role before training camp is done.

You know that they secretly would love for him to win the job right out of camp. 

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Reading between the lines just listening to the Beane interview.... I think he expects Allen to win the job. That is not to say they will see it as a disaster if he doesn't, I think they are comfortable starting AJ for a few games but I had been under the impression starting AJ was plan A. Listening to Beane today (who always tells you things without meaning to) I don't think that anymore. I think they expect Josh to play in Baltimore. 

I also think that at some point during the preseason or within the first five ir so games Allen will start. I could be wrong, but I dont think Beane is a guy to go out of his way to say something if it wasnt true. I think he will start 3rd and by the tenn or houston game be starting.

This is a reasonable way to address the QB situation at this point.  I think what the Browns did by announcing Tyrod as the starter weeks ago was asinine.  What are you going to do if Mayfield comes in and lights it up in camp and preseason (which is presumably what you thought he might do when you took him#1)?  I think they're potentially setting themselves up for turmoil.  They should just let it play out like the Bills.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Epstein's Mother said:

This is a reasonable way to address the QB situation at this point.  I think what the Browns did by announcing Tyrod as the starter weeks ago was asinine.  What are you going to do if Mayfield comes in and lights it up in camp and preseason (which is presumably what you thought he might do when you took him#1)?  I think they're potentially setting themselves up for turmoil.  They should just let it play out like the Bills.

I agree. I also think the seen more of him with regard to better mechanics at the combine, meeting, and tape from the camp he was working with that lead them to a competition. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that there were like 3 or 4 today!! The exact same thread.

Did you know that he's 3rd on the depth chart right now, but if he wins the starting spot then he wins it? I heard that from Brandon Beane himself, so it must be true!

1 minute ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Did you know that he's 3rd on the depth chart right now, but if he wins the starting spot then he wins it? I heard that from Brandon Beane himself, so it must be true!

You are correct why should we believe our gm whom just drafted him. The riley ole Beane he must be lying right??? And while you heard hes currently third, you must have not heard there is a qb competition. 

Edited by Bill_with_it

4 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

I agree. I also think the seen more of him with regard to better mechanics at the combine, meeting, and tape from the camp he was working with that lead them to a competition. 

I apologize Bill, I am not belittling your thread.  It's just like Kirby said below, this subject will get brutal.

My opinion on Beane's comments are:  OBD is not going to say they are "red shirting" Allen even if that is their plan.

Having Allen work his way up from #3 is the right thing.  Rumors and speculations about this will be going on until they announce the starter

during preseason.

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that there were like 3 or 4 today!! The exact same thread.

Really when you think about it the Mod's should consider this subject in a "pinned" thread.

Every tweet, press conference, OTA report and rumors are going to spawn more.

Page 1 of the board would be a lot cleaner if this subject was all in one place.

4 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Here's a fact: we could have moved up and drafted the consensus worst QB prospect in the country, the one that no one in the business thinks is anything other than horrible...

...and a majority of this message board would support the pick and start to convince themselves that the player is going to be great.

These Allen discussions here are not about football or a football player.  They are about human psychology.

the opposite is also true. and some people would be wrong. might be you who is wrong. might be someone else who is wrong.

i shall wait and judge based on what actually happens...

If Daboll is indeed going to run a quick hitting, NE style offense then Allen won’t win the starting job early.

Between footwork/ accuracy, throwing with touch, learning a different trajectory than slinging it on a line and general “ Reading an NFL D” skills ; Allen’s learning g curve is steep.

Maybe he starts the season listed as a 2 but I bet in a snap they put Peterman in before him.

29 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You know that they secretly would love for him to win the job right out of camp. 

I would imagine they would love, hope, expect, plan for, and be shocked if he didnt. The only wrench in it is that AJ is the kind of QB who can shine in practice. 

On 4/29/2018 at 6:47 PM, Dr. Who said:

Training camp through pre-season, teams don't game plan and you face vanilla defence.  Allen needs signifcant work, though he has tremendous talent and upside.  Though McCarron is not Alex Smith, I think Allen would benefit from a Mahomes-like redshirt year.  Furthermore, I'd prefer we got our o-line and wr corps upgraded before throwing a rookie to the wolves.  You don't want to David Carr the fella.

Any impatience by The FO is unlikely. He will play when they feel he is ready.

This isn't the Nix Whaley regime Kids.

Fans likely will find reason to chant his name as soon as AJ has an errant throw for a pick

Best thing for likely all of the QBs drafted is time enough to adjust. The difficulty of a  career leap from College to NFL QB has become and art form.

I would Never start him day one, because they do not have have to for one reason. Bills are a relatively young team. Under this Owner and FO etc et all .

let enjoy watching them grow and develop. Last year was fun to sneak in. But it was "sneaking "  to get into the Finals.

Go Bills !

On 4/29/2018 at 7:07 PM, Kelly the Dog said:

If AJ starts, Shady will be mostly worthless and wasted. Teams will load up the box and dare him to beat us down the field and he won't be able to for several reasons. Only the monster arm and threat of Allen will back them off.

Interesting take but not holistic.

Bills been having teams do this for two plus years. Load the box asking Tyrod to throw, this should be Common knowledge Man !
you are being emotional Kelly :wub:

This is a Coaching play calling issue. Not enigma of Arm strength nor AJ 's ability to play NFL Football .

have some faith.

Shady will do what Shady does. The concern for him ?       O Line getting some room to Shady those defenders

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

If Daboll is indeed going to run a quick hitting, NE style offense then Allen won’t win the starting job early.

Between footwork/ accuracy, throwing with touch, learning a different trajectory than slinging it on a line and general “ Reading an NFL D” skills ; Allen’s learning g curve is steep.

Maybe he starts the season listed as a 2 but I bet in a snap they put Peterman in before him.

Nathan Peterman? Beane is already trying to prepare people that Allen will be going earlier than some of us anticipated. Peterman will be lucky to be on this roster. If Allen is anywhere close, Peterman gets cut (maybe goes on the PS). 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

I would imagine they would love, hope, expect, plan for, and be shocked if he didnt. The only wrench in it is that AJ is the kind of QB who can shine in practice. 

It might be difficult to shine with the current receiving corps vs. the secondary when first teams square off. 

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Nathan Peterman? Beane is already trying to prepare people that Allen will be going earlier than some of us anticipated. Peterman will be lucky to be on this roster. If Allen is anywhere close, Peterman gets cut (maybe goes on the PS). 

That’s my point, IMO he isn’t close and won’t be able to bridge the gap to even be a legitimate 2 by Sept.

Certainly not without a real QB coach.

7 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Who thinks the Bills brass wants to give Nathan Peterman any meaningful snaps in any of the four preseason games to see what he can do at this point instead of Josh Allen? Raise your hands!

Now we know who all the idiots are.

Uhhh, have you guys seen our O Line?

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It might be difficult to shine with the current receiving corps vs. the secondary when first teams square off. 

True. But AJ is a good guy, a good leader, will work his ass off, will do well in the film room, and make good decisions and throws against air and the defense running half speed. McD will love all of that.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, 9/9/19, maybe.

And as for the drops, yeah, he had them. And if you pretend they're catches his percentages go up. And if you do the same for other QBs their percentages also go up, beyond Allen's.

I'm still hopeful about the guy but he's competing against a guy who's been in the league for four years and knows how to play in the NFL. Even the pundits and film watchers who really like Allen say he needs a year or more to develop. Mayock, for instance really liked him but said that the team that gets him must be willing to be patient. 

Exactly.

That means we have the first Monday Night game of the season!

which means we were awesome this year. 

Which means AJ was our starter. 

Im so confused!!!