What I Don't Understand About Fan Reaction to Allen

1 minute ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

I just sit back and laugh at these clowns. My favorites are the ones who play the EJ Manuel/JP Losman card. That’s the trump card for those who don’t know what the hell they are talking about.

Rosen > Allen? Wow. People are used to being led by the media.

20 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

He also worked with Sam Darnold along with Allen.

Not only that he also helped Deshaun Watson last offseason, how did that work out? 

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/QB-guru-Deshaun-Watson-is-dynamic-leader-/f3b72e98-249f-43c9-8c7b-4913226c3fff

Yes, he also worked with Blake Bortles. Do you know what Darnold and Watson have in common? Good college production.

My thoughts on the Allen pick:

When I look at what Brandon Beane has done during his tenure as GM of the Bills I see a man who has calculated his moves very carefully.  He does not strike me as the type of guy who is impulsive or prone to suggestion when making personnel decisions.

That being said the real takeaway for me is that while there are a good many Bills fans on this board who are having temper tantrums and stomping their feet and basically carrying on like a bunch of pre-schoolers who missed nap time. A good man with no malice in his heart did what he thought was best for the team he manages.

While some of you didn't like this pick you have to remember that Beane has staked his reputation and possibly even his job on this pick.  This is real life for him and for most of us it's an opportunity to drink beer and be entertained for 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Edited by Epstein's Mother
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

If it doesnt, why do they make them take it? If the 40 doesnt translate to how explosive they are off the line, why do they make them run it?

They make them do all these things because they think they translate to some meaning about how good a pro they'll be.  But every year there are guys who test great then can't play and vice versa

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

There's a word for their typical moves, it's called "Bills"

Used in a sentence:

Drafting Josh Allen, a boom or bust project QB, over the most NFL ready QB Josh Rosen, was the most BILLSY move they could have made.

If I remember well, last year draft experts said Nathan Peterman was the most NFL ready too...

Still, I am still a bit stunned they didn't choose Rosen over Allen.

I am with you on this Bill!.    

It is simply amazing how the fans are turning around without even giving this kid a chance.  Trent Edwards was an accurate WC QB, but he played scared.   I think people are latching on to Troy Aikman's pretty strong comments that he has not seen QBs with poor accuracy improve.  That may be true, but without giving the kid a chance to set his feet on the field and play, we as fans have no right to crucify him or this front office.  I am sure there were 32 GMs who looked at this kid and had him as a Top-5 player...

3 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. For instance:  A #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert.

I could go on and on but my point is that fans were generally supportive of these clearly stupid picks. Now, we finally use resources on a big, strong quarterback and most people seem to hate the kid. Why? Because he said stupid things when he was a toddler? Because he went to a small school?

After what seemed like forever, we took a chance on solidifying the most important position on the field. We moved up to make sure we landed a qb with a cannon arm. What is SO freaking bad?

I for one am glad that we did something smart (for a change) in round 1, and welcome this young man to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill, I respect your fandom and your posts more than you know. I’ve been reading your thoughts for 8 years and they make this board a special place for us Bills fans. Along with Lori (where are you) and ten or so others, you’re one of the handful of ‘always valued posters’ in my book. 

Now that I’ve said all that, I think you may be trivializing some of the Josh Allen skepticism. I want the guy to be successful here. I was minimally critical of the pick (because I thought Rosen later would be better than Allen sooner while also conserving some draft capital) but I also said that I [obviously] hope [and think] Allen has the potential to have a fantastic career here. 

But his accuracy issues are unmistakable. His accuracy issues in a bad conference playing against subpar competition with receivers who didn’t drop a lot of balls (4.8% is what I read). That’s a lower percentage than Rosen, Jackson, and Rudolph. But they all had higher completion percentages. 

I read somewhere (and I think this is true), that evaluators overrate tall, strong arm, qbs and feel that they can fix any and everything else. 

Thats my concern. 

That he is Jamarcus Russell. 

Russell who had a similar skill set and similar completion accuracy issues (arguably a more questionable work ethic though). 

He has a big arm and I think that there is an enamorment there (rightfully so). But like some evaluator so eloquently said long ago, I don’t want to hope that Allen can complete enough 50 yard bombs so that I forget he misses 5 yard passes by 10 yards. 

Thats my concern in a nutshell. 

I hope that the scouting folks are right and my skepticism is misplaced. 

Edited by Juror#8
  • Like (+1) 2

Josh Allen's head coach at Wyoming was just on the NFL network talking about both Carson Wentz and Josh Allen. as Craig Bohl coached both. 

He said Allen is going to push the edge and do those things that he didn't know how many times he was thinking 'oh my" Allen is going to get sacked..and the next thing he sees is a touchdown.

He said one time during a scrimmage they called a play with a dump off to the fullback in the flat and the next thing he knows is Allen threw a backside post 65-yard pass on a rope for a TD. Afterward, the coach said what are ya doing? He said Josh, throw the ball to the fullback and Josh said no! Favre says TDs first!

Allen was joking around and Craig Bohl said I love him, love him, love him to death.

5 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

Accuracy issues in college are a tricky statistic.   The final measurable is the result of numerous variables.    Wrong reads, wrong routes etc.   Bottom line is, everything can go right and the WR can still drop the ball.   It's entirely possible that Allen isn't the most accurate passer in the draft.   It's also entirely possible that the rest of the players around him are downright awful.

I think basic accuracy is a matter of hand-eye coordination.  Pitching, archery, target shooting, billiards, horseshoes, quarterbacking.  I also think its a genetic trait and not something that can be learned.  Either you have it or you don't.

But as you say there are other variables.  Play selection, degree of difficultly, pressure/no pressure situations, quality of receivers, etc.  Things that can be managed or controlled to some degree by play selection, coaching, the surrounding cast of players.  In those situations maybe Allen is highly accurate or maybe he's not but we'll soon find out. 

I have been on this wonderful board for many, many years. Now, I am reading these posts that are absolutely hating the Allen pick and it is hard to understand why. Almost every season, I was on this board blasting yet another idiotic first round pick by the Bills. For instance:  A #8 (in a stacked draft) on an undersized Donte Whitner? How about a 1st on a half dead Willis McGahee? In 2008 we had a very poor OL. It was awful. We drafted Leotis McKelvin, passing up both Ryan Clady and Branden Albert.

I could go on and on but my point is that fans were generally supportive of these clearly stupid picks. Now, we finally use resources on a big, strong quarterback and most people seem to hate the kid. Why? Because he said stupid things when he was a toddler? Because he went to a small school?

After what seemed like forever, we took a chance on solidifying the most important position on the field. We moved up to make sure we landed a qb with a cannon arm. What is SO freaking bad?

I for one am glad that we did something smart (for a change) in round 1, and welcome this young man to Buffalo.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

y0ko0.gif

Well said Bill!!!

Allen is our QB and I will support him and hope he does well! I wanted Rosen but I have to admit I love what this kid has to say and how he has handled himself throughout the draft process up to and including last night. 

I'm very excited about his skills and trust that Beane knows what he's doing!

• Like (+1) 2

You are the Super Bowl of posters as usual.  I admit to liking other QBs more in this draft, but I also admit I am not an expert, and tend to think that the people who do this for a living know what they are doing, despite the hand wringing and hysteria of the causal fans around here who do not.  I am thrilled they made the move to ensure they got the QB they wanted.  We have been collectively whining for years about the timid approach at OBD to finding a franchise QB.  Well, that's over.  The cost is the cost.  What did people think they were accumulating these pieces for?   

Here is hoping they can coach this kid up and we will be watching a return to real competitiveness by the Bills in the years to come.

Go Bills.

The way I look at it is several other teams passed on Rosen too.  There are sometimes reasons we as fans don't understand.  I never had a good feeling about Rosen for some reason.  I'm willing to wait and see on Allen.  I sure like his attitude and he appears to genuinely be elated to be in BLO.  Go Bills!

10 minutes ago, Epstein's Mother said:

My thoughts on the Allen pick:

When I look at what Brandon Beane has done during his tenure as GM of the Bills I see a man who has calculated his moves very carefully.  He does not strike me as the type of guy who is impulsive or prone to suggestion when making personnel decisions.

That being said the real takeaway for me is that while there are a good many Bills fans on this board who are having temper tantrums and stomping their feet and basically carrying on like a bunch of pre-schoolers who missed nap time a good man with no malice in his heart did what he thought was best for the team he manages.

While some of you didn't like this pick you have to remember that Beane has staked his reputation and possibly even his job on this pick.  This is real life for him and for most of us it's an opportunity to drink beer and be entertained for 3 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

It really is ridiculous that so many fans are so upset that the team didn't trade up for their guy or pick their guy... 

When the reality finally sinks in I think most Bills fans will embrace the pick and think that instead of giving up the farm they got their future franchise QB AND a stud linebacker in the first round this year. I know I couldn't be happier or more proud of what this regime has done so far. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Favre succeeded despite a million INTs because he could sling it. 

Brett Favre was extremely accurate. 

Brett Favre could read a defense.

Yes, his arm strength was fantastic.  But it wasn't the only thing that made him great.  And it didn't give him a "higher ceiling" than other top QBs of his day.  To be honest, despite having an A+ arm, Favre was not as great as he could have been.  His decision-making was often questionable.  And it's the main reason that Favre only won a single Super Bowl. 

5 minutes ago, KCNC said:

The way I look at it is several other teams passed on Rosen too.  There are sometimes reasons we as fans don't understand.  I never had a good feeling about Rosen for some reason.  I'm willing to wait and see on Allen.  I sure like his attitude and he appears to genuinely be elated to be in BLO.  Go Bills!

Plus, who is to say what another concussion would do to Rosen

6 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I think basic accuracy is a matter of hand-eye coordination.  Pitching, archery, target shooting, billiards, horseshoes, quarterbacking.  I also think its a genetic trait and not something that can be learned.  Either you have it or you don't.

But as you say there are other variables.  Play selection, degree of difficultly, pressure/no pressure situations, quality of receivers, etc.  Things that can be managed or controlled to some degree by play selection, coaching, the surrounding cast of players.  In those situations maybe Allen is highly accurate or maybe he's not but we'll soon find out. 

I agree, I think a basic level of accuracy in intrinsic.     I believe that better coaching of fundamentals and tweaks to positioning can also make a world of difference.    From all reports, it looks like Allen has been putting in a ton of work since his season ended.

6 minutes ago, KCNC said:

I had a really bad feeling about drafting a QB with multiple concussions and a neck injury.

I'm guessing that after having endured mediocrity from the Bills for so long there are fans who fear the possibility of that mediocrity continuing.  They're tired of it.  Allen is obviously a high risk pick because of his relative lack of experience, obvious flaws in his game, and (scariest to Bills fans) his fairly low completion percentage and turnovers).

I'm wary of the pick, but my philosophy is always to give the team the benefit of the doubt.  Allen has extremely high upside as well as a low floor.  He's now a Bill, so why not hope for the best.