What I Don't Understand About Fan Reaction to Allen

I am convinced some of our fans live in a fear based reality when it comes to the Bills. These fans are expecting the worse because they have experienced pain and have not let it go. These fans will struggle to accept and believe that good things will happen for the Bills. These fans will make themselves feel comfortable by bracing for disappointment over hoping for success. 

I hope Allen will be the QB we need him to be. The more I read about him the more I like him as a person. I think he will be just fine. Allen has the intelligence to figure it out and work ethic to put the time in to translate it to reality. I like the fact the Bills went for it. As Gretzky said ‘you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take’ .

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Do you not understand that rookie QBs not only need help from a QB coach all during the 16 game season, they also get a great deal of help from a veteran QB on the roster and their OC?

The QB position is probably the most cerebral positions in all of the professional sports. Learning the playbook, all the plays, the nomenclature with the play calling, film study and breakdown of a game tape. Learning how to read a defense, set offensive line protections.

Not only did EJ not have a QB coach his rookie season nor a veteran QB to learn from. The only offensive mind in the teams offensive coaching staff was Hackett who was never an NFL OC previously. 

Can you seriously not comprehend how this would impair a rookie QB's proper development? I have NEVER, EVER heard of an NFL team attempting to develop a rookie QB with no real qualified people on the coaching staff to develop him.

In real life as a normal person, it would be like taking a job as a tool and die, maker, apprentice only to find that there is nobody around you qualified to properly train you. It's a 100% setup for failure. 

Serious question, where's that person/coach currently on the Bills staff? Culley, who has spent the majority of his career coaching wide receivers? I'll give him some credit as he is a former college QB, albeit not a very good one, but it is odd that his coaching career has been mostly with receivers considering his playing career. That doesn't really mean he can coach up a rookie QB. Is it Daboll, who has been a QB coach all of 1 time and oversaw Favre and Clemens? He wasn't a QB as a player and literally has no history of developing a QB.

On the service of it, that guy is not here and thats the worry. The Bills took a QB who is a project, who will need some coaching and cleaning up, without a coach on the roster to do that.

Sure, the Bills have a QB coach now, in name only, but are the situations all that different? I guess the Bills have "The Process" so we wait and see if thats enough to develop Allen.

9 hours ago, Bill_with_it said:

No its not. 

Those were your questions.

Having a qb coach, a veteran in the locker room, and those others are niceties that have and havent historically been proven to work.

At some point the kid who started on a pro type offense for four years, throwing the ball close to 900 times, having another 4 offseasons under nfl coaching (regardless how you make it ssem they handed him a ball and let him do whatever), in addition to the no less than 2 qb camps he went to during his tenure with the Bills has his fate solely decided by him and no other. Im done with this topic. Ej busted and there is nothing else the Bills or EJ could have possibly done to ensure that he is a franchise QB.

Well, I think you have a viewpoint and you aren't going to change it, so it's just as well if you're done.  Betcha respond anyway :D 

EJ did NOT start on a "pro type offense" for 4 years, I don't know much about college football and even *I* know that one.  He played in a spread offense and made half-field reads.

The point stands: a QB coach and a vet in the locker room are two steps a team can take to help their hoped-for franchise QB succeed.  They don't guarantee success, no, but they're reasonable, potentially helpful steps the team can take for their new QB.  Did the Bills take them with EJ?  No.  (The vet, I give them credit that they tried, but Kolb's injury history wasn't good at the point where they signed him.) 

Therefore they really didn't do everything they could have done to try to help him develop.

The NFL is littered with great QB who spent years looking like busts because they weren't getting the coaching they needed.  Steve Young, Alex Smith, etc.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Serious question, where's that person/coach currently on the Bills staff? Culley, who has spent the majority of his career coaching wide receivers? I'll give him some credit as he is a former college QB, albeit not a very good one, but it is odd that his coaching career has been mostly with receivers considering his playing career. That doesn't really mean he can coach up a rookie QB. Is it Daboll, who has been a QB coach all of 1 time and oversaw Favre and Clemens? He wasn't a QB as a player and literally has no history of developing a QB.

On the service of it, that guy is not here and thats the worry. The Bills took a QB who is a project, who will need some coaching and cleaning up, without a coach on the roster to do that.

Sure, the Bills have a QB coach now, in name only, but are the situations all that different? I guess the Bills have "The Process" so we wait and see if thats enough to develop Allen.

I agree with you. It is a bit scary at this particular point time that the Bills don't have that stellar/superstar QB coach or QB guru on the staff to help develop Allen, Peterman and AJ McCarron. 

OTOH, reading what Jordan Palmer had to say after working with Allen in that they had worked to fix his accuracy issues. Perhaps the team will allow Palmer to keep working with Allen. I say this because Palmer also worked with Deshaun Watson for a few years and greatly helped him. Palmer strikes me as a genuine QB guru. 

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Article/Duke-Johnson-David-Njoku-first-to-welcome-former-Hurricane-to-Browns-117771328

4 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Bang, I loathed this pick the moment it happened. Then, when it did happen, knowing I would have to either delude myself with hope or legitimately get some, I watched and listened to everything I could with Allen... I watched highlights before the draft, including some "all the throws" stuff from the Boise St game and that, combined with his mediocre numbers combined with history made me despise the idea of drafting him.

and then...tenor.gif?itemid=4448412

Well... after imbibing as much as possible on Allen over the last 24 hours, I actually think he's a bit of a unique case and stands a decent, though not great chance to be something special.

I wasn’t a fan of the pick and that hasn’t really changed. At this point though, it is what it is. No point on going on and on about it. I really hope he succeeds. Like you, I’ve been watching a lot of his stuff again and acknowledge that there is some potential there. I hope I’m wrong about him.