How long do you give Allen?

Bakin

9 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

After reading some of the posts on here.....I'm already done with him....looking at 2019 QBs.....smh....

And of course they know more than the GM’s and scouts

2 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

so it's safe to say that if I look at your posts, I'll find that you haven't made up your mind on AJ McCarron or Nate Peterman ... right?

You will not here me trash Peterman. I do not think McCarron is anything special as of right now but again you will not find any post of mine saying get them out of here like i was with TT last year 

34 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He's not ready to start. He's not playing. 

9 minutes ago, Yeezus said:

great. so on top of having the worst mechanics and accuracy out of all his peers drafted in the 1st round, he will be a whole year behind in terms of experience from most of them. 

Mayfield/Rosen/Darnold are all day 1 starters. Peterman will outplay Allen in camp. 

I don't care what draft people say, neither of you could possibly know this. Simmer down. Let the kid prove himself. 

37 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The people who don't like him have already given up on him and declared him a failure.  He will remain a failure in their eyes until he proves them wrong.  So he's already failed in their eyes.

I'm really not trying to hound because I dig that you're as invested in all this like the rest of us, but folks complaining and bitching on draft night is totally appropriate. Lots of reasons to think he'll bust. Hope they're all wrong. 

52 minutes ago, Bakin said:

Bills fans don’t have any patience for QB development. 

And while I’m somewhat indifferent about the selection of Allen - clearly he’s a good kid, prototypical size, rocket arm, loads of potential - my fear is that our fans will give him 8 games and then set his house on fire if he doesn’t look like the 2nd coming of Elway. 

How many Bills fans would have been ok with Goff starting year 2 - he would have been written off as a bust by 90% of us. 

So my question to you is - assuming JA starts 2018 - how long do you give Him?  6 games?  3 years?  

How long can you, as a fan, hold off from the bust or boom label for our potential franchise QB?

It's hard to really say now, it's so early.

One thing is for sure though: if AJ really struggles and does not look good for the first 4 or 6 games, folks will DEFINITELY be shouting for Allen to start.  That's guaranteed.

If AJ is competent or even better, it's a much more complicated scenario.

It would also be more complicated if the coaching staff came out and declared Allen "no way close to being ready" or something like that.  Or will they hold out the potential option for Allen to play?  

What if Allen outshines AJ in training camp!?  

There's a lot that can happen between now and week 6 of the season and it's almost impossible to really know how things will look.

41 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The people who don't like him have already given up on him and declared him a failure.  He will remain a failure in their eyes until he proves them wrong.  So he's already failed in their eyes.

That's idiotic.  Some may feel that way.

I hate the pick and firmly believe Allen will never be good.

Doesn't mean I have "given up on him."  Hell, he hasn't even shown up in Buffalo yet.

I also have no great faith in AJ!  If Allen looks better in camp, let him start for Christ's sake and then let's all pray that he is better than I think he will be.

12 minutes ago, Greywolf said:

I think this is potentially another EJ situation. Allen is an inaccurate passer with a mediocre completion rate. He waaaay overthrows and underthrows open receivers when he's under pressure. He has no one to sit behind for a year or two to learn the game and improve his skills, and if AJ doesn't come through for us, the Bills will throw Allen to the wolves behind a rickety O-line and mostly mediocre receivers.

I will be surprised if Allen turns out to be a franchise QB. I think the upside is limited to a "hopefully he won't throw the game away" QB.

I am definitely keeping my fingers crossed that the Bills show I'm wrong.

I will see that and raise you: On Monday Night vs. Cheatriots.

It's the mid-2000s redux.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You will not here me trash Peterman. I do not think McCarron is anything special as of right now but again you will not find any post of mine saying get them out of here like i was with TT last year 

Fair enough. 

As long as Allen improves, he gets time.  He's got some real issues in his game, and will need to show improvement to become the starter.  If he doesn't show improvement, he's going to be a bust. Accuracy issues start with mechanics, and mechanics are not easy to fix. 

The difficult thing is that McCarron isn't a fully-developed starter either.  He's going to need significant coaching to give the Bills a chance to win each week.  The coaching staff won't have enough reps during the season to fix Allen's mechanics and get McCarron ready for the games during the week.

7 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I'm really not trying to hound because I dig that you're as invested in all this like the rest of us, but folks complaining and bitching on draft night is totally appropriate. Lots of reasons to think he'll bust. Hope they're all wrong. 

I am fine with people preferring someone else, but declaring a kid a bust before he's stepped on the field is absurd and a waste of energy and time.  Look, I even preferred someone else.  But its not like Allen has no upside...to suggest thats the case when he was just in consideration of the #1 overall pick is comical.  

His draft slot means nothing now.  All that matters is what he does on the field.  To sit here and be CERTAIN he will bust like so many are is just wasted energy IMO.  Might as well just look forward to seeing what he can do rather than just wallow in the failures that haven't happened yet.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bakin said:

Bills fans don’t have any patience for QB development. 

And while I’m somewhat indifferent about the selection of Allen - clearly he’s a good kid, prototypical size, rocket arm, loads of potential - my fear is that our fans will give him 8 games and then set his house on fire if he doesn’t look like the 2nd coming of Elway. 

How many Bills fans would have been ok with Goff starting year 2 - he would have been written off as a bust by 90% of us. 

So my question to you is - assuming JA starts 2018 - how long do you give Him?  6 games?  3 years?  

How long can you, as a fan, hold off from the bust or boom label for our potential franchise QB?

Well I was the one person on here after Goff's rookie year saying "hang on guys there are some glimpses here the kid still has a chance" when the common reaction was ridicule. 

Josh Allen likely has a similar path. He will get in about halfway through 2018 as Goff did his rookie year and I expect that to be bumpy, but he absolutely undoubtedly should go into 2019 as the certain starter no matter what (maybe AJ playing at an all pro level but that ain't happening). 

21 minutes ago, Perry Turtle said:

As long as Allen improves, he gets time.  He's got some real issues in his game, and will need to show improvement to become the starter.  If he doesn't show improvement, he's going to be a bust. Accuracy issues start with mechanics, and mechanics are not easy to fix. 

The difficult thing is that McCarron isn't a fully-developed starter either.  He's going to need significant coaching to give the Bills a chance to win each week.  The coaching staff won't have enough reps during the season to fix Allen's mechanics and get McCarron ready for the games during the week.

That and we don’t have a real QB coach. Doesn’t give one much faith going forward. If the Bills were led by an offensive head coach with a proven QB coach, I’d feel much better about drafting Allen. 

Edited by Billznut