Tyler Dunne Has It Right

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Then you walk into the woods where your ball landed spend 25minutes swearing your ass off only to be elated when you come out of the woods and found 3 more balls + the one you lost

Have we golfed together? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Get Mayfield or Rosen or Darnold even for that matter. Move up, get one of these 3, and be done. I don't want any parts of the other 3 guys listed as potential 1st Round picks. There hasn't been a consensus #1 guy since luck, just like previously mentioned. Mayfield is my guy. He is the one I want us to draft. I am good with Rosen as well. I think Darnold is better than any of the remaining guys. Make your move and get your guy. We shall see. 

I hear ya and I kinda like Mayfield too, but how do you really know?

21 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

I'm in the get-your-QB camp this year, BUT, we will NOT know if any team save the Patriots have a franchise QB until (probably) a couple years from now :). 

I think you know what I mean. Things will not be good for McBeane if they come out of the draft with Mike White.

Just now, Shotgunner said:

No joke.

For 15 years I have been in the camp of wait for a qb to come to you. Pick where you get and take who's there.

Not this year. I will lose it if they don't get one this year. 

Just now, thurst44 said:

Ha, same here. Most years I'm railing against the idea of taking a QB too high, but this year just feels different. I'm starting to (mostly internally) rail against those who don't want to take a QB.

I have argued for years against trading up to the top of the draft for a QB. 

Before Goff and Wentz, there were really no trade up's to the top of the draft that you could point to that worked out for the team trading up...

Mike Vick (and that was before mobile QBs were big in the NFL).

Joe Flacco (but that was only a trade up to #18). 

That's about all I could come up with.

Other than that? There wasn't any examples to point to of trade up's (in the 1st, and more so to the top of the 1st) that were successful. 

I don't count Eli Manning because that was a VERY unique circumstance, and the Giants didn't trade up for him. They picked Rivers and then traded Rivers + more for Eli (and it only happened because Eli demanded a trade). 

This year I am firmly in the "trade up for a QB" camp. It does feel different for numerous reasons -

First, I love the top of this QB draft. I think the top 3-4 QBs look very strong. 

Second, I think it's a somewhat unique year where some of the teams at the top of the draft may not necessarily want/need a QB. I feel like in many years these top 3 QBs would probably not be available (like the Winston/Mariota draft for example). 

And third, I actually have a ton of faith in a Bills GM and front office for the first time in a long time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The point is, does anyone really think McBeane can be influenced by public opinion on the matter? That they don't already know all there is to know about the need for a QB? If McBeane ends up getting their targeted QB, will media and fans congratulate themselves for convincing McBeane to do what was necessary? As though it couldn't have been done without their influence? 

I'm looking forward to the inevitable meltdowns by the media and fans if they decide McBeane gave up too much in the process, though. 

Not necessary public opinion.....but more job security

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

Not necessary public opinion.....but more job security

I hear that. But I doubt anyone is more acutely aware of the job security issues of an NFL coach and GM as McBeane. Another thing the media and fans can't inform them on. 

28 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Problem is that the biggest hole that has put them in desperation mode is by their own hand.  How's that 3rd rounder for Tyrod looking right now?  I'm not a Tyrod is the answer type guy, but he was a hell of a lot better than who they've had at QB for nearly a decade before him, and he would have allowed the team to operate with a margin for error. 

People like to think this regime is different than in the past, and I hope that they are right, but they just made a similar mistake they made before drafting EJ

No he wasn't. 

Bledsoe was better. 

Orton was better.

Fitz... well, I don't know... that one is debatable. Fitz was capable of actually running a passing offense, but he killed you with turnovers. Tyrod didn't turn the ball over, but he killed you with a non-existent ability to run a passing offense. Six in one hand, half-dozen in the other with those two. 

8 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

No he wasn't. 

Bledsoe was better. 

Orton was better.

Fitz... well, I don't know... that one is debatable. Fitz was capable of actually running a passing offense, but he killed you with turnovers. Tyrod didn't turn the ball over, but he killed you with a non-existent ability to run a passing offense. Six in one hand, half-dozen in the other with those two. 

Orton was not better

Fitz was DEFINATELY not better

41 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Problem is that the biggest hole that has put them in desperation mode is by their own hand.  How's that 3rd rounder for Tyrod looking right now?  I'm not a Tyrod is the answer type guy, but he was a hell of a lot better than who they've had at QB for nearly a decade before him, and he would have allowed the team to operate with a margin for error. 

People like to think this regime is different than in the past, and I hope that they are right, but they just made a similar mistake they made before drafting EJ

The mistake is being content with mediocre Tyrod. 

• Like (+1) 1