Tyler Dunne Has It Right

26 minutes ago, White Linen said:

What if the Giants, Browns, Jets,  and Broncos feel they can't afford to watch all those QB's on the sideline either and they take QB's and won't trade?

Then just get any one?

I guess I just disagree with how Dunne presented it and I think desperation is the wrong way for a new front office to operate.   They are handling it (so far) how I would expect.  They've put themselves in a position to trade for a higher pick and they clearly recognize the need.  Because of our season last year we are heavily reliant on other teams (some QB needy also) to trade with us. 

12, 22 and additional picks may not be enough to get to 2, 4 or 5 so we're not in a perfect situation.  We either need one of those teams to not like the remaining QB's to trade or not like them enough to pass on them - giving us the possible opportunity to trade with Chicago, Tampa, or Oakland.  

Be prepared that this could be difficult for the Bills to pull off and isn't just a matter of their level of "desperation" to do it.  

I'm not of the belief that the Bills are or will be acting out of desperation. They've done nothing other than cold, calculated moves so far and show no signs of being overly emotional.

Edited by horned dogs
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Just playing devil's advocate, but:

(1) If the Eagles and Rams were able to trade up for Wentz and Goff, then I struggle to say that the Bills did not have a legit chance at them; and 

(2) If the Jets could get to #3 this year, then I struggle to say that the Bills did not have a legit shot at getting QB3 in this draft. 

True. 

Without knowing what went on behind behind the scenes, I can't really say for sure that the Bills couldn't have traded up for Goff/Wentz.

I do remember reading rumors that Whaley did acquire about trading up for Wentz. I'm not sure if he got boxed out by the Eagles, or if he wasn't that serious about trying. Or maybe the rumors were just BS.

I think the key in that trade was the Eagles getting from #13 up to #8. Supposedly the Browns were not willing to move out of the top 10. So it would have been harder for the Bills to get from #19 to #2, but it probably was possible. 

As far far as the Bills getting to #3 this year, there has been a lot of talk (some right from Ballard himself) that the Colts wanted to stay nearer to the top of the draft which is why they went with the Jets trade. It also gives them a 2nd opportunity to cash in on teams chasing a QB, which the Bills pick at 12 didn't offer. 

Maybe a ridiculously crazy offer gets the Colts to move from 3 to 12...

But I can't ant say that I blame Beane for not giving up a crazy haul of picks to only guarantee that they get QB #3. Plus we don't know if Beane has 3 QBs he's even interested in trading up for. Most teams identify 1, or maybe 2 guys at most that are worth trading away a ton of picks for. The Jets are the first team I know of that has ever traded up to #3 this far out from the draft. So it's not exactly the type of thing that happens often. 

• Like (+1) 1

Guys your over thinking this. Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson could easily come out of this draft as the better selection at QB. Anyone of these could end up being the best of this QB draft class. So stop worrying, look take the top 3 out of the draft pretend they are not there. These other 3 are very good QB’s and could end up all being franchise QB’s. If I had to bet I would take all 3 against the top 3 and in the end 10 years from now you might say I that was the right thing to do. You are just hung up on this draft pundits saying Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen are top 3. Just because they say it does not make it so. If I had to really get down to the nitty gritty I would say Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph will end up as the guys that we should have drafted. I can guarantee the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Saints and Chargers will have no problems drafting Rudolph and Jackson in the 1st round. So stop complaing and let the draft play out. There are 6 real good QB’s all worthy of being drafted in the 1st round. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

Guys your over thinking this. Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph and Lamar Jackson could easily come out of this draft as the better selection at QB. Anyone of these could end up being the best of this QB draft class. So stop worrying, look take the top 3 out of the draft pretend they are not there. These other 3 are very good QB’s and could end up all being franchise QB’s. If I had to bet I would take all 3 against the top 3 and in the end 10 years from now you might say I that was the right thing to do. You are just hung up on this draft pundits saying Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen are top 3. Just because they say it does not make it so. If I had to really get down to the nitty gritty I would say Lamar Jackson and Mason Rudolph will end up as the guys that we should have drafted. I can guarantee the Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Saints and Chargers will have no problems drafting Rudolph and Jackson in the 1st round. So stop complaing and let the draft play out. There are 6 real good QB’s all worthy of being drafted in the 1st round. 

Rudolph should not be in the conversation.

4 minutes ago, Thurmanator 12074 said:

This also was said in the 2004 draft.  hmmmm what happened when we got froze out of the top three again.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

This also was said in the 2004 draft.  hmmmm what happened when we got froze out of the top three again.

Well I think Rudolph and Jackson are way ahead of A JP losman but that’s my opinion. I have seen people predict Darnold and Rosen could bust. I think the most sure and non bustable player In this draft is Mayfield. I predict he goes number 1 to the browns. Rosen to the Jets. Then the fun begins. Not sure about the Giants. But if they pass on that QB the Bills will have there shot to trade up and get Darnold or Allen. My guess is it would be Allen. 

Edited by Thurmanator 12074

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

His point is exactly why I can't get with the "too many holes" crowd. 

We basically have the same team as last year, minus Preston Brown, Eric Wood & Richie Incognito.

I expect Groy and Bodine to be able to fill in just fine in Wood's and Incognito's absence.

We need an MLB... maybe that guy is on the roster, but that's the only other position than QB we absolutely should draft on day 1 or day 2.

All of our other positions are either the same or upgraded.

We need a Franchise QB.  It's been over 20 years since we've had one.  The "too many holes" crowd must just be really young... or they have really bad memories.

Get the QB... period.  We'll still be a better team in 2018 and we'll go into the 2019 season with tons of CAP space to fill holes.

Just now, reddogblitz said:

You miss all the one you don't swing at.  right?

Sometimes you should just know better. 

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We basically have the same team as last year, minus Preston Brown, Eric Wood & Richie Incognito.

I expect Groy and Bodine to be able to fill in just fine in Wood's and Incognito's absence.

We need an MLB... maybe that guy is on the roster, but that's the only other position than QB we absolutely should draft on day 1 or day 2.

All of our other positions are either the same or upgraded.

We need a Franchise QB.  It's been over 20 years since we've had one.  The "too many holes" crowd must just be really young... or they have really bad memories.

Get the QB... period.  We'll still be a better team in 2018 and we'll go into the 2019 season with tons of CAP space to fill holes.

They need a lot more talent at WR too, but QB trumps all of those needs by a wide margin says Captain Obvious. 

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

No Love for AJ ?

Bills certainly feel better about AJM than they did TT to run the system they want to put in place.

They also felt like they had a shot with Peterman in San Diego.

2 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

No he wasn't. 

Bledsoe was better. 

Orton was better.

Fitz... well, I don't know... that one is debatable. Fitz was capable of actually running a passing offense, but he killed you with turnovers. Tyrod didn't turn the ball over, but he killed you with a non-existent ability to run a passing offense. Six in one hand, half-dozen in the other with those two. 

TT > Brain Dead Drew and it isn't even close.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

Fundamentally disagree. This group identified this as a QB class that has great upside and was worth building draft capital with the ability to grab one of them. Had the regime that drafted EJ had been as aggressive during the 2011 or 2012 draft years they may have had a better shot at a top QB. Instead they literally drafted a QB who was a 2nd-3rd caliber QB. I watch enough college football and remember the 2013 draft as a whole not being anything special to pull the trigger on and the talent wasn't close to this draft. This year in general has the potential to be one of the better QB draft classes in a long time.

The only similar mistake would've been keeping a flawed QB which we had seen his ceiling so we were forced to pull the trigger 2 years too late. Your not mistaken that they could guess wrong and this may implode but you have to take your shots with the best odds you can and they have set themselves for a decent shot.

I was astounded at how the Nix/Whaley Crew sat on their hands for many drafts and then pulled the trigger for a QB that had no business being picked any higher than the 3rd round, when they had so many better prospects available to them throughout the prior drafts at a bargain.  I hear what you are saying about this class being good, but with your highest picks being 21 and 22 in the first round, and the No. 10 pick you traded away last year going to a team that picked a QB - that move is forever going to be how this year is judged.  Mahomes/Watson versus whomever the Bills are able to land and what it cost.   

I'm just not sure they are going to be able to get the guy they may covet the most, even with everything that they've amassed and I think it is foolish to give up next year's 1st round pick since the QB position is basically going to be a three pony race among guys with less than 5 NFL starts and an OL that just lost or traded its Starting C, LG, and LT and the returning positions have been the weakest link on the OL for years - Dawkins will likely be fine, but the rest of the line is a Big ?.  That kind of starting experience and OL turnover is a good formula for landing a top 10 pick in 2019.

Don't get me wrong Tre White is a very good player and Mahomes and Watson may not actually pan out - it may be a good move after all, but if the Bills end up spending all of their draft capital that they amassed and the player they get is a lesser player than Mahomes or Watson, then the Bills FO is still a few steps behind the better teams and Beane/McDermott don't look so wise.  Especially if they end up giving up a 1st in next year's draft and have a poor season with no first round pick and having jettisoned a lot of talent off the team in the short time they've been in Buffalo.  Look I'm excited they finally snapped the drought, but I think it was a very fortunate and lucky season.   Maybe McDermott is a special coach that can make it work with the right talent, not necessarily exceptional talent, but I do think that the culmination of the moves they made give them a very thin margin to be successful.