Bandit's Annual Mock

Nice work. 

I would be okay with this outcome, but I don’t believe Darnold isn’t the #1 pick. I also don’t think we’d need to give up that much to jump to #5. 

But at this point, I know nothing. 

Great mock draft.   

Buffalo coming up with Darnold for that little would be great.........and it's entirely plausible.

Miami then getting Rosen.........potentially setting up another Kelly/Marino-esque same-home-state rivalry.........except with even more juice because of the rival alma maters.......and this one could last for 15 years instead of a decade...........that would be awesome.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Another home run bandit!! Great work on the mock and that would be fantastic for the Bills.

20 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Great mock draft.   

Buffalo coming up with Darnold for that little would be great.........and it's entirely plausible.

Miami then getting Rosen.........potentially setting up another Kelly/Marino-esque same-home-state rivalry.........except with even more juice because of the rival alma maters.......and this one could last for 15 years instead of a decade...........that would be awesome.:thumbsup:

Thanks guys.

I won't lie, the thought of a 1983 repeat where the entire AFC East gets new QBs is absolutely thrilling IMO.

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

1. Cleveland Browns: Josh Allen-QB/Wyoming

There’s no way that this pick is anything other than a QB, and I want to give them Sam Darnold. Heck, if it were me, and my choice came down to Allen or Darnold, I would pick Sam Darnold.  But here’s the thing: none of us are John Dorsey, and none of us have the #1 pick in the draft.  Here’s the other thing: they traded a high pick for Tyrod Taylor and then signed a competent backup in Drew Stanton, so obviously they’re willing to be patient with their rookie.  I’m giving them Allen; partially because I’ve been convinced that he was in the conversation for this pick since March, and partly because I think his deficiencies are correctible.  For as much as they’ll be panned if Allen doesn’t work out, he is most definitely the best QB in this class when he’s right.  The upside is that if he realizes his potential, he could be a HOFer.

5. Buffalo Bills (f/ Den): Sam Darnold-QB/USC

Could this really happen?  From certain #1 overall pick to #5 in a trade-down?  It’s a bit of a fall, but let’s face it: the concerns regarding his propensity for turnovers are legitimate. What makes him the apple of Buffalo’s eye?  He has the best combination of accuracy, arm strength, athleticism, and scheme diversity of any QB in this class. He also executed a lot of the kind of RPO-style offense that Brian Daboll wants to run, and aside from the on-field stuff, he’s a “process” guy.  What would be interesting to see is how many fans welcome another California kid to Western NY.

Darnold has thrown 22 picks the last 2 seasons and Allen has thrown 21.  Darnold has 20 fumbles to Allen's 13.  We all know the difference in the level of competition between the two schools.  So you are telling me that Allen's accuracy issues (49% completion at JuCo, 56% both years at Wyoming) are more correctable than Darnold's fumble issues.  I'm sorry, no freaking way.  I ain't buying it and I don't think any competent NFL executive is buying it either.  I don't see any way the Brown's take him over Darnold.  But, then again, they are the Browns.

Edited by Mark80

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Thanks guys.

I won't lie, the thought of a 1983 repeat where the entire AFC East gets new QBs is absolutely thrilling IMO.

It is totally realistic too. The AFC East will be an entirely different (and wide open) division in 2 years. I think that the Jets and Bills will be on the rise with the Pats and Dolphins fading. It will all depend on which teams get the QBs right though. If the Bills could get Darnold and still have 4 top 100 picks this year (and all of their picks next year) is really like their chances.

4 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Darnold has thrown 22 picks the last 2 seasons and Allen has thrown 21.  Darnold has 20 fumbles to Allen's 13.  We all know the difference in the level of competition between the two schools.  So you are telling me that Allen's accuracy issues are more correctable than Darnold's fumble issues.  I'm sorry, no freaking way.  I ain't buying it and I don't think any competent NFL executive is buying it either.  I don't see any way the Brown's take him over Darnold.  But, then again, they are the Browns.

I mostly agree with you.  As you know, Allen is my QB4 for a good reason.

The only thing I'd factor in when looking at turnovers is that Darnold has more than just INT issues; his ball security in general is lousy.  He lost 8 fumbles in 2017 and another 5 in 2016.  Allen lost a total of 5 in that same timespan.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I mostly agree with you.  As you know, Allen is my QB4 for a good reason.

The only thing I'd factor in when looking at turnovers is that Darnold has more than just INT issues; his ball security in general is lousy.  He lost 8 fumbles in 2017 and another 5 in 2016.  Allen lost a total of 5 in that same timespan.

Darnold had 6 picks the first 3 games this season, only 7 the rest of the way.  My point, if it wasn't clear, was that a fumble issue is much easier to fix, in my opinion, than Allen's glaring accuracy issues. 

Edited by Mark80

4 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Darnold had 6 picks the first 3 games this season, only 7 the rest of the way.  My point, if it wasn't clear, was that a fumble issue is much easier to fix, in my opinion, than Allen's glaring accuracy issues. 

Indeed, and like I said, I agree fundamentally; I'm just going with what I think the Browns will do 

12 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Darnold has thrown 22 picks the last 2 seasons and Allen has thrown 21.  Darnold has 20 fumbles to Allen's 13.  We all know the difference in the level of competition between the two schools.  So you are telling me that Allen's accuracy issues (49% completion at JuCo, 56% both years at Wyoming) are more correctable than Darnold's fumble issues.  I'm sorry, no freaking way.  I ain't buying it and I don't think any competent NFL executive is buying it either.  I don't see any way the Brown's take him over Darnold.  But, then again, they are the Browns.

you are right.

Mayfield. #1, overall. The one guy Dorsey was scouting before he became a GM. The one guy that screams out leadership. The guy, by the way, most similar to their current starting QB (other than Lamar). The sole reason the Bills FO ran to the WC to suddenly speak to Darnold - because only Mayfield at #1 puts a scenario where Rosen goes at #3. 

10 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Bear in mind that 2 of those six picks came in this game, in which Darnold was generally awesome against an elite team: http://www.espn.com/college-football/boxscore?gameId=400935260. He was 21-26 for 316 yards, 4 TDs, and 2 INTs. That's a great game despite the picks.

He was even better in the conference championship game against Stanford: 17-24 for 325, 2 TDs, and 0 INTs. Stanford has a well-coached, well-schemed, and talented defense. 

Edited by dave mcbride

Brilliant job Bandit.  Thanks for the effort.  Very plausable scenario for how the QBs may fall, though there of course others.  I hope you're right, at least as far as the Bills are concerned.  That would be a very palatable price for Darnold.