Anyone else besides me NOW wish we had given up a lot to get to 3?

1 hour ago, Tsaikotic said:

I could be mistaken but I dont think Bills had even moved to 12 yet when Jets and Colts traded...dont think 21 and 22 and next years 1 would have been enough for colts to over look 3 2nds and only a 3 spot move down...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22736647/cincinnati-bengals-trade-buffalo-bills-left-tackle-cordy-glenn  Mar 12th

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22805858/new-york-jets-acquire-no-3-pick-nfl-draft-trade-indianapolis-colts  Mar 17th

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ricojes said:

This is my feeling exactly.  At 3, you may get the 3rd player on your wish list.  Not worth that kind of risk. 

Agreed.

A trade up to #3 on draft day, with the guy you want sitting there for the taking? Absolutely sign me up. 

But 6 weeks before the draft, with no idea if the guy you really want will even be there? Eh... 

How many teams are willing to give up 4 top 49 picks to trade up to the top of the draft,  just to basically throw a dart at 1 of 3 random QBs?

Especially 6 weeks before the draft, which is before they've even had a chance to work out these QBs privately, have them in for a visit, meet with and interview them extensively etc etc. At the point the Jets traded for 3, they had only met with what, 2-3 QBs for 15 minutes at the senior bowl/scouting combine? (I know they scouted them all year, but still, you are not allowed to have your scouts talk to the players during their college season). 

I mean, don't get me wrong. I want the Bills GM to be aggressive in finding our franchise QB. 

But the Jets move just comes off as a GM who is willing to bet his job and the Jets next half decade on a random pick of any top QB from this draft. That doesn't seem like the move of a GM I'd want running my team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

You have watched the last 20 yrs, correct?

And you cant believe people are for trading up? 

That's even sillier than saying they need to stay at 12!

Not only have I watched the games for well over twenty years, I've also watched the drafts and the subsequent impact draftees have had on the Bills' teams; thus my original comment.

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Maybe I am just fatigued with this painstaking lead up to the draft.  Maybe I am just annoyed that the jets WILL get one of the top 2 or 3 qbs in the draft.

However, I have gone from being fine with not over paying to get to 3 to...well...i'd feel better if we got to three, even knowing we may have to, or could have, rolled with the Giants for 2.

We'll soon see.  I have enjoyed aspects of this year's draft, but I need the first round to be over and Thursday can't come soon enough.

Go Bills.

if regrets over not getting to 3 already well covered, Mods please feel free to lock.

Nope, I'm good with staying put and loading up on talent.  This is a process, as McBean like to say.  Look at some of the teams that have won it all, they didn't have high first round franchise QB's.  Last year is a prefect example.  You have to build a complete team, and have a good quarterback that can hit guys when they're open.  Build a great defense, along with a great running game, then all you need a guy like AJ McCarren to manage the game.  I think trading away the farm for an unknown player is a really bad idea.  

3 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I think the colts strategy was to trade with the JETS to get the 3 2nds knowing that they could still trade with the BILLS and Still get 2 1st. Basically COLTS decided to try to double dip 

This seems like the most logical move by the Colts. 

You get 3 2nd rounders...you can still get a BPA at a position. You also have the trade back option at 6. If a QB drops.....why not take the chance someone will offer just as much as they would have if the Colts held pick 3 on draft day. 

The Colts are going to end up huge winners here regardless. 

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I disagree...they may like them equally but they don’t have to...they could just like them similarly, where it doesn’t matter to them which they get...they would still be happy... they could feel the drop off isn’t that much from one to the next.

Or maybe the whole time the Jets had their eye on Mayfield ? Thinking Darnold and Rosen would go 1 and 2 , 

4 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

No. Jets moving up that early was a panic plain and simple. Where they were sitting they likely would still have had one of the Big 4 drop in their lap or on draft Day could have had a good shot of sliding to 4 to get their guy ahead of Denver if that's what they feared. And for way less.

Being at 12 with the picks we have we have a shot to move up and get the QB we want or improve our roster greatly.

Panic? I don't see that as a panic move, they did what they had to do. There should be panic with the Bill's situation, they could miss out on all the top QB's, doubt that it happens though. I would much rather be at 3 and be able to get a future QB, then at 12.

Just now, Bleedingreennc said:

Panic? I don't see that as a panic move, they did what they had to do. There should be panic with the Bill's situation, they could miss out on all the top QB's, doubt that it happens though. I would much rather be at 3 and be able to get a future QB, then at 12.

The Bills have plenty of assets that they won’t miss out. If QBs go 1,2,3 (worst case scenario) the Bills pay a big price for 4. The likely scenario is that they go to 5 - 7 and pay a fraction of the price. The Bills have positioned themselves to not get shutout of QB. It is just a matter of what they have to pay.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The Bills have plenty of assets that they won’t miss out. If QBs go 1,2,3 (worst case scenario) the Bills pay a big price for 4. The likely scenario is that they go to 5 - 7 and pay a fraction of the price. The Bills have positioned themselves to not get shutout of QB. It is just a matter of what they have to pay.

However, just because you have the asset's doesn't mean a team has to trade with you. Have to have a team to trade with.

4 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I'll say this much.

I'd much rather be sitting at 12 with our assets and Brandon Beane making the decision rather that sit at 3 and giving up 3 high picks to let Maccagnan make the call.

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I'll say this much.

I'd much rather be sitting at 12 with our assets and Brandon Beane making the decision rather that sit at 3 and giving up 3 high picks to let Maccagnan make the call.

Three 2nd round picks is nothing to give up for a possible franchise qb. 1 of those was from the Richardson trade, so no big loss.

3 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Three 2nd round picks is nothing to give up for a possible franchise qb. 1 of those was from the Richardson trade, so no big loss.

Possible? Absolutely. I have my doubts that he's going to get it right based on his QB selection history. For all we know right now he traded to 3 for Josh Allen or Mason Rudolph. 

1 hour ago, Keukasmallie said:

Not only have I watched the games for well over twenty years, I've also watched the drafts and the subsequent impact draftees have had on the Bills' teams; thus my original comment.

so you would realize that drafting "a stud" at any other position will have little impact on the overall success of this team. 

7 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I'll say this much.

and if the Jets get a franchise QB and the Bills dont, the Jets will be better than the Bills for a long time. 

but Yay for all those pickz!!!1!1!!!

Possible? Absolutely. I have my doubts that he's going to get it right based on his QB selection history. For all we know right now he traded to 3 for Josh Allen or Mason Rudolph. 

I can see that as well, he is a dunce, but I have to support the team no matter what. What happens if Beane trades up for Allen?

15 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

However, just because you have the asset's doesn't mean a team has to trade with you. Have to have a team to trade with.

Sure, but if the Bills decide they want pick 4 they can offer the Browns 12, 22,53, 56, 65 and 96. That would be, by far, the biggest price ever paid. I’m not saying that they will but the Browns can’t say no to an offer that the Bills put together. Otherwise the Browns take another player at 4 and the Bills start negotiating with Denver (who has said that they want to go back). 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

3 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

I can see that as well, he is a dunce, but I have to support the team no matter what. What happens if Beane trades up for Allen?

Honestly in regards to Allen, if we take him at 12 I'd be ok with that. If we moved up it would be totally dependent on where and for how much. 

Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

Sure, but if the Bills decide they want pick 4 they can offer the Browns 12, 22,53, 56, 65 and 96. I’m not saying that they will but the Browns can’t say no to an offer that the Bills put together. Otherwise the Browns take another player at 4 and the Bills start negotiating with Denver (who has said that they want to go back). 

Of course they can say no, remember, they have a different management now, the previous ones traded back and look what that got them. Once again, you have to have a team that wants to trade with you.

Then the offseason just got a whole lot longer, and we wait to see if Beane is a genius or a short timer

Just now, No Place To Hyde said:

Honestly in regards to Allen, if we take him at 12 I'd be ok with that. If we moved up it would be totally dependent on where and for how much. 

You can have Allen all day long, I want him nowhere near my team.

Just now, ddaryl said:

Then the offseason just got a whole lot longer, and we wait to see if Beane is a genius or a short timer

I have more faith in your GM than mine.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bleedingreennc said:

maybe a day 3 project QB but I would not put all my chips in the Allen basket either

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

so you would realize that drafting "a stud" at any other position will have little impact on the overall success of this team. 

and if the Jets get a franchise QB and the Bills dont, the Jets will be better than the Bills for a long time. 

but Yay for all those pickz!!!1!1!!!

You have to build a roster to compete. For how great Rodgers and Brees have been they've each won it all once. Why is that do you think? 

Being that we have lacked a real franchise QB it's really easy to say "ZOMG IFL WE AD ONE SUPER BOWL EVERY YEAR"... But honestly that is far from the truth. You need a top QB but you also have to surround him with talent. And this just in..it takes more than 1 off-season to get it done.

I agree though, if we don't get that top guy this year with all the guys coming out and all the assets we have it'd be a shame.

You have to build a roster to compete. For how great Rodgers and Brees have been they've each won it all once. Why is that do you think? 

Being that we have lacked a real franchise QB it's really easy to say "ZOMG IFL WE AD ONE SUPER BOWL EVERY YEAR"... But honestly that is far from the truth. You need a top QB but you also have to surround him with talent. And this just in..it takes more than 1 off-season to get it done.

I agree though, if we don't get that top guy this year with all the guys coming out and all the assets we have it'd be a shame.

47 of the 52 Superbowls have had either a HOF QB or a QB that was top 10 all time in QB Rating.

Allen is a risk, but if Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen are gone then I'd rather have him over Jackson or Rudolph. Allen does scream bust...but if the light ever turned on for him and he reached his potential he's deadly at that point. Big if though.

6 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Of course they can say no, remember, they have a different management now, the previous ones traded back and look what that got them. Once again, you have to have a team that wants to trade with you.

Okay, but if they say no they aren’t taking a 2nd QB in the top 4 picks so the point remains. Chubb or Barkley comes off the board at 4 and the Bills go to 5.

I felt frustrated when it happened, and feel the same now--- especially with the distinct possibility the Bills could miss out on all four of the top guys. Hopefully McDermott and Beane will pull something off.

5 hours ago, TheTruthHurts said:

But many people think Colts will still trade from 6 to 12.

I don't think the Bills were ready to trade up. 

Yeah, but in the end the Colts would wind up with more picks making 2 trades down to 12...

Why are ppl having such a hard time understanding this???

Allen is a risk, but if Darnold, Mayfield and Rosen are gone then I'd rather have him over Jackson or Rudolph. Allen does scream bust...but if the light ever turned on for him and he reached his potential he's deadly at that point. Big if though.

For sure, big if for all of them. I would rather take the swing on one of them and miss, then not try at all and be left with what ifs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, par73 said:

I felt frustrated when it happened, and feel the same now--- especially with the distinct possibility the Bills could miss out on all four of the top guys. Hopefully McDermott and Beane will pull something off.

This is what happens when you don't tank...

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

47 of the 52 Superbowls have had either a HOF QB or a QB that was top 10 all time in QB Rating.

And? QB rating is one of the most USELESS stats out there. That's like saying 47 of the 52 Super Bowls have had a QB with brown eyes.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Okay, but if they say no they aren’t taking a 2nd QB in the top 4 picks so the point remains. Chubb or Barkley comes off the board at 4 and the Bills go to 5.

What if Allen is still there at 5 and Denver decides not to trade with you? Elway likes those big armed qb's

And? QB rating is one of the most USELESS stats out there. That's like saying 47 of the 52 Super Bowls have had a QB with brown eyes.

Sure, because it doe not fit Your "build the team and it will work" no one is saying that if you get a QB you will be in the superbowl. We are saying if you get one, you have a chance to get there every year.

You are going to tell me this list doe not hold any water.

1 Aaron Rodgers 104.93
2 Peyton Manning 97.22
3 Steve Young* 96.81
4 Philip Rivers 95.97
5 Tony Romo 95.78
6 Tom Brady 96.73
7 Drew Brees 95.26
8 Kurt Warner 93.71
9 Ben Roethlisberger 92.59
10 Joe Montana* 92.26
Edited by CountDorkula
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CountDorkula said:

You are going to tell me this list doe not hold any water.

1 Aaron Rodgers 104.93
2 Peyton Manning 97.22
3 Steve Young* 96.81
4 Philip Rivers 95.97
5 Tony Romo 95.78
6 Tom Brady 96.73
7 Drew Brees 95.26
8 Kurt Warner 93.71
9 Ben Roethlisberger 92.59
10 Joe Montana* 92.26

Nice list of players. What color are their eyes?