Books We Read As Children

boyst

Spin off from the other thread...

I remember Indian and the Cupboard and the series of them.  And someone brought up where the Red Fern Grows.  What others were there?

I am sure we all read Animal Farm and The Giver in school. We we're supposed to read Great Gatsby by that was High School and I stopped reading by that point.

A Separate Peace

Catcher in the Rye

Of Mice and Men

Farenheit 451

Atlas Shrugged

Animal Farm

A Tale of Two Cities

Great Expectations

Romeo and Juliet (Shakespeare)

These were all required reading in school.  Outside of school I typically read sci-fi and/or fantasy. I remember one summer during junior high when I read about 20 of the Tarzan, Center of the Earth, and John Carter of Mars books by Edgar Rice Burroughs. I haven’t thought about that for decades. Brings back a lot of memories. 

Edited by Gray Beard

I can't remember that anymore, but here's the general evolution of childhood reading as I've seen it over the last nine years.

Goodnight Moon

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?

Big Red Barn

Very Hungry Caterpiller

The Snowy Day

Richard Scarry (anything)

The Gruffalo

The Story of Ferdinand

Dragons Love Tacos

Sam and Dave Dig a Hole

Elephant & Piggie (Series)

Pigsticks & Harold and the Amazing Journey

Dr. Suess (anything)

The Day the Crayonz Quit

Madeline

Charlotte's Web

One and Only Ivan

The First Case

Geronamo Stilton/Thea Stilton (series)

Judy Moody (series)

Ivy & Bean (series)

Ramona Quimby (series)

Nancy Drew (series)

Little House in the Big Woods (& series)

Roald Dahl (anything, especially Matilda)

The War That Saved My Life

Harry Potter (series)

Wonder

Chronicals of Narnia (series)

On 4/21/2018 at 12:51 PM, Boyst62 said:

Spin off from the other thread...

I remember Indian and the Cupboard and the series of them.  And someone brought up where the Red Fern Grows.  What others were there?

I am sure we all read Animal Farm and The Giver in school. We we're supposed to read Great Gatsby by that was High School and I stopped reading by that point.

Where the Red Fern Grows was my favorite book as a kid. 

I read those Philip Pullman books a lot growing up, can't remember what they were called but the first one was the Golden Compass I believe. 

Just now, row_33 said:

Encyclopedia Brown

For sure these, and the Great Brain series. I read a lot as a kid, used to take out a half a dozen books a week from the library. Anything to do with the outdoors or indians was good too, stuff like Rascal or how to survive in the woods kind of stuff.

There was a book I read in the 5th grade, and the title of the book escapes me. It was a bunch of stories about various animals living through the winter season in the forest that they all resided in.

One particular story involved several of the animals attempting to hunt each other down, all at the same time. Trailer the Mink in pursuit of a rabbit, Killer the Marten pursuing Trailer, and Fisher the Bold pursuing Killer.

Is there anyone here who might remember anything like this? These are the only characters I can remember from this book and I can't remember the title of it.

I've tried trying to find those names using  google and nothing comes up. Any help would be appreciated.