What (non QB) position would you pick if guaranteed the GOAT?

1 hour ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If you are guaranteed health, I go with RB.  A GOAT, guaranteed healthy RB is going to handle 30-40% of your offense and will help you get by with a lot less at QB.  It will likely get you into the playoffs most every year, pair him with a great defense and could be the formula to sneak out a title, ala Ravens.

This.  Yes, it's relatively easy to get a productive RB this day and age...but we're not talking just productive, we're talking GOAT.  Which, at this point, would be something like averaging 1700 yards rushing and 300 receiving per year over a 10 year career.

That production can cover a multitude of other sins.

2 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

DE/OLB pass rusher, but the thought of an ultra elusive GOAT RB out there is really appealing. 

Ironic post and username, because the Bills had the GOAT RB once. And for all his success and sick stats, OJ only played in ONE playoff game his entire career. :thumbsup:

I agree on DE/OLB Rusher though.

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ironic post and username, because the Bills had the GOAT RB once. And for all his success and sick stats, OJ only played in ONE playoff game his entire career. :thumbsup:

I agree on DE/OLB Rusher though.

I will not pretend I got to see OJ, those were the days before highlight reels were regularly available. 

When talking about pass rushers and RBs, I think we have to boil it down a bit more. 

Bruce, Reggie White, and Derrick Thomas were all different players. Which is best? In this era, I would take a better version of Thomas. 

Same with RBs, would you rather have an elusive back like Sanders, a power back like Campbell, or the speed of Bo Jackson? 

In this era, I would take a better version of Sanders. 

Edited by TheElectricCompany

31 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Offensive Left Tackle. You are talking about someone better than Orlando Pace.

Yep. To me the top 3 are QB, the guy who protects his blindside and the guy you pay to get to the opponents guy. I love top end Left Tackles so that is my answer too. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

I will not pretend I got to see OJ, those were the days before highlight reels were regularly available. 

When talking about pass rushers and RBs, I think we have to boil it down a bit more. 

Bruce, Reggie White, and Derrick Thomas were all different players. Which is best? In this era, I would take a better version of Thomas. 

Same with RBs, would you rather have an elusive back like Sanders, a power back like Campbell, or Bo's insane speed? 

In this era, I would take a better version of Sanders. 

Not to harp on the matter, but much like OJ, the HoF RBs you mentioned did not have a significant impact on their teams' success.

Earl and Barry had 6 playoff games each through their entire career. Most were 1-and-done appearances. Bo only 1 playoff game (I get his career was cut short way too soon).

Point is, for as well known as great RBs are, they dont do much to affect the team's success. Especially nowadays in a QB-centric league. I'd even argue that one of the biggest issues with the Bills franchise throughout its history is too much focus on RB and not enough on QB.

All that said, I'd be happy with any of those DEs!!

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, the skycap said:

No love for Barry Sanders?

As I mentioned, he is one of my favorite players of all time. He was amazing when he was on his game.

Still, as great as Barry was, the Lions probably would have won just as much with a guy one tier lower... like Emmitt Smith :)

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Except because he pass rusher took the double team they have Moss doubled. The pass rusher did that (and forced the QB to deliver the ball early). That’s why they are paid like they are.

fair enough, although i think the highest paid at each position are pretty close to each other, but fair enough

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Scenario: You can draft the greatest (non QB) player at his position of all-time. Which position do you pick, and why?

For me, this is a toss up between DE and LB. I think most offensive positions are too dependent on the work of others, while a Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor type player is going to cause pain and misery regardless of what the other guys on defense do. One of my favorite players of all time was Barry Sanders, yet as great as he was once the playoffs came teams could shut him down.

When it all comes down to it, I think I would take the greatest LB of all time. It's a lot harder to neutralize him, and if he's the GOAT I can move him all around the defense... Outside, inside, on the line... My DE can be triple blocked or accounted for, although the greats still get theirs. It's a tough call but I go linebacker.

Thoughts?

Two good choices. It's almost inconceivable to think of what Barry could have done with a legitimate franchise. LT was the greatest force I ever saw, far better than Bruce. 

But Barry touched the ball 20-30 times a day, and Taylor impacted all 50 plays on offense. 

Taylor.

If I had to go out a bit more and rank my top 5 (non QB) positions:

LB (can move all over the field, and if he's the GOAT he can cover the TE, get to the QB, and stop the run)

DE (as many have said, a Bruce/Reggie type can cause havoc that few others can)

S (a truly great safety makes many defenses click)

K  (a few have said it, but if he's the GOAT he probably hits 60 yarders which makes your scoring range a lot larger)

TE (the GOAT at TE would be better than Gronk, who is already unstoppable and a matchup nightmare)

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Two good choices. It's almost inconceivable to think of what Barry could have done with a legitimate franchise. LT was the greatest force I ever saw, far better than Bruce. 

But Barry touched the ball 20-30 times a day, and Taylor impacted all 50 plays on offense. 

Taylor.

If Barry had been on the Cowboys instead of Emmitt... yikes!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

fair enough, although i think the highest paid at each position are pretty close to each other, but fair enough

There are 9 pass rushers/defensive linemen that make more than the highest paid corner (and that is before Mack’s extension). There is 1 WR (Evans at 15), 9 DL/edge rushers and the rest QBs in the 21 highest paid contracts (in terms of guarantees). 

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Will this one do? 

Image result for goat gif

As long as he's got good hands and 4.3 speed, I don't care if it's an actual goat at all. In fact, he may be an UPGRADE over the bag of bolts representing us at WR currently.....

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

There are 9 pass rushers/defensive linemen that make more than the highest paid corner (and that is before Mack’s extension). There is 1 WR (Evans at 15), 9 DL/edge rushers and the rest QBs in the 21 highest paid contracts (in terms of guarantees). 

Cool.  I was looking at last years numbers that had Norman at 20mm more than wilkerson at 18mm.  (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724959-the-highest-paid-nfl-players-heading-into-the-2017-18-season)

I guess there is this too (http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22836003/nfl-highest-paid-players-every-position-next) which has Normans 3 yr number at 51mm and Von Millers 3yr number at $61mm, which is somewhat in the same ballpark.

EItherway the point of my last post was to say you make fair points and concede the conversation, but if you want to beat the dead horse, by all means go for it.  i need to turn my attention to which player we might draft...have you seen any threads on that topic yet?? :huh:

5 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Or perhaps because there are so few amazing MLBs?

Then go ahead and tell me how much the “amazing” MLBs make compared to the top WRs and edge rushers.  Also, I noticed that amazing (and non-amazing) MLBs tend to have short, injury-plagued careers these days.

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Edge Rusher.  The NFL is about getting a franchise QB and getting to the franchise QB.

Sorry I didn't see this before I responded to the post. Could have saved some key strokes as your take is EXACTLY what I was getting at.