Beane is “Trying Like Hell” To Move Up For a QB

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

If the Bills are indeed unable to move up, wouldn't it be due to teams not wanting to trade back ? It seems unlikely they would move to 12 just to stay there.

Not necessarily, they could actually want a LB at 12 and take Rudolph/Jackson later. Theoretically the cost could be too high for what the Bills are comfortable giving up or they simply may actually like Rudolph/Jackson better. They will have disgruntled customers if they don't trade up and have some if they do. Could always run some damage control by saying we are trying like hell to move up, if it doesn't happen at least it is out there that they tried and it becomes presumed that we just couldn't get a deal done because no one wanted to drop back that far or were stuck on a player. This would be evident by staying put and they will be able to do the usual lip service that we got the exact players we wanted, best in the draft, highest on our board yadda yadda yadda...As we know they won't say yeah we tried to trade up and it didn't happen so we took these other guys instead....

I don't really believe this is the case, but it *could be* a way to tamper the expectations from the fan base who are clamoring for them to go get a QB. Tin-foil hat thinking is where I was going with this btw. 

If Browns go Allen #1 like rumored and many believe (I have also thought this for a while), then that could take Giants completely out of play for the #2 spot as its been reported they would probably not trade down and take Darnold if he is on the board.  Could be just a smokescreen to drive the price up on the Bills though or any other team wanting #2.  But, its quite possible Darnold will be there at #2 and might mean the last trade partner we could target is the Broncos at 5.  Hopefully the rumors of them really liking Mason are true as they can easily get him at #12 in a trade back with us.  

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah, well, funny it doesn't work like that. Anyone we will draft will split the fan base and the first overthrown pass in OTA's will send people into a tailspin.

How do you know that?

We haven't had an ACTUAL QB since bledsoe.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

If Browns go Allen #1 like rumored and many believe (I have also thought this for a while), then that could take Giants completely out of play for the #2 spot as its been reported they would probably not trade down and take Darnold if he is on the board.  Could be just a smokescreen to drive the price up on the Bills though or any other team wanting #2.  But, its quite possible Darnold will be there at #2 and might mean the last trade partner we could target is the Broncos at 5.  Hopefully the rumors of them really liking Mason are true as they can easily get him at #12 in a trade back with us.  

Trade up for Baker + Sign Kaepernick = SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!! <heavy sarcasm>

15 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

All of that means zero with respect to this particular draft. 

I strongly disagree with that. Or if this is true that would also mean everyone should be fine with drafting a QB in the 2nd round since past probabilities are meaningless.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I strongly disagree with that. Or if this is true that would also mean everyone should be fine with drafting a QB in the 2nd round since past probabilities are meaningless.

Each draft class with its individual players has to been evaluted on the merits. History be damned!

1 hour ago, BuffaloDave55 said:

Agree.  The difference between the second and 4th or 5th QB in this years draft is minimal.  No where near giving up picks for.  I pray it's a smoke screen.

Even though I cannot stand this asshat; it is an appropriate response here:

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Not necessarily, they could actually want a LB at 12 and take Rudolph/Jackson later. Theoretically the cost could be too high for what the Bills are comfortable giving up or they simply may actually like Rudolph/Jackson better. They will have disgruntled customers if they don't trade up and have some if they do. Could always run some damage control by saying we are trying like hell to move up, if it doesn't happen at least it is out there that they tried and it becomes presumed that we just couldn't get a deal done because no one wanted to drop back that far or were stuck on a player. This would be evident by staying put and they will be able to do the usual lip service that we got the exact players we wanted, best in the draft, highest on our board yadda yadda yadda...As we know they won't say yeah we tried to trade up and it didn't happen so we took these other guys instead....

I don't really believe this is the case, but it *could be* a way to tamper the expectations from the fan base who are clamoring for them to go get a QB. Tin-foil hat thinking is where I was going with this btw. 

Yeah, I don't think they are worrying about fan reaction. I think they are motivated by success so they can keep their lucrative jobs. I don't buy into any notion that they would move up to 12 for any reason other than a QB. Teams asking an exorbitant price outside of parameters of other drafts IS an unwillingness to move down. That might happen. If it does, then plan B such as taking a QB at 12 or even later in round 1. Every team always says they're happy with their draft for obvious reasons. The Bills would be no exception. 

If McBeane move up then I trust they'll do the right thing in trade value. If they don't, well, it's personally disappointing but the HC and GM have a much better handle than I ever will.

I'm convinced this positioning to add picks going back to the 2017 first round has a purpose. Whether it's ammunition to trade up for a QB is another matter.

They have a primary and contingency plans. It's what they've been working on and what they'll continue to refine until the draft begins.

They also won't make knee-jerk decisions like some fans are demanding.

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

Trade up for Baker + Sign Kaepernick = SUPER BOWL!!!!!!!! <heavy sarcasm>

I would LOOOOVVVEEEEE this.  So not sure why you are heavy sarcasm because Baker is the best QB prospect in this draft IMO.  The Kap thing I could care less about since we signed AJ, but since you said sign Kap...sure, bring him in and let all 3 battle to see who should be the day 1 starter and should be cut (AJ or Kap).  Baker might win the job outright and then the other two would settle who will remain as the backup.  Or AJ and Kap battle it out for day 1 starter job, with the loser cut and Baker the backup until ready to take over the starter gig.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Player is worth more. We’d have all the picks to replace that guy. Similar to glenn deal

White is probably our most valuable asset at the moment. 

If Tre'Davious White is that valuable, then the Giants can have him, as long as they give us their first round pick(#2) and their fourth round pick(#102).

Anything less, then White isn't going anywhere.

9 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Each draft class with its individual players has to been evaluted on the merits. History be damned!

Then why does everyone want to trade up to #2? Only because we know the probability of #2 working out is better than the probability of #12 or #22 working out. But don't be fooled, the probability of #2 working out is still very low. We shouldn't literally give up ANYTHING to increase our probability by maybe 25% or so. There's a limit.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I would LOOOOVVVEEEEE this.  So not sure why you are heavy sarcasm because Baker is the best QB prospect in this draft IMO.  The Kap thing I could care less about since we signed AJ, but since you said sign Kap...sure, bring him in and let all 3 battle to see who should be the day 1 starter and should be cut (AJ or Kap).  Baker might win the job outright and then the other two would settle who will remain as the backup.  Or AJ and Kap battle it out for day 1 starter job, with the loser cut and Baker the backup until ready to take over the starter gig.

1*9TmdPeNXK9w3g3PHQ37oIw.jpeg

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Then why does everyone want to trade up to #2? Only because we know the probability of #2 working out is better than the probability of #12 or #22 working out. But don't be fooled, the probability of #2 working out is still very low. We shouldn't literally give up ANYTHING to increase our probability by maybe 25% or so. There's a limit.

Because there is a highly rated QB who they want to select.  Would the the action be as hot and heavy if it was the 2013 draft?  Nope!  

18 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

How do you know that?

We haven't had an ACTUAL QB since bledsoe.

Bledsoe was terrible!! After his first 8 games he had a losing record, threw for 195 yards a game and threw an INT for every TD. He’s the most overrated player to put on a Bills uniform. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, offyourocker said:

I really fear we will overpay for a qb

I think you are off your rocker to feel like that.

There's no such thing as "Overpay for a QB"

It's the most important position on the field

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

The only realistic options may be to overpay or simply not have one. Which do you think  is worse/ better? 

Nonsense.  No reason to believe there won’t be a very good qb available at 12, or at a minimum, easy striking range (7-10). 

• Like (+1) 1