Rex Ryan expects the Bills to make huge offer for #2.

PIZ

draft picks = salary cap space

if you trade away a draft pick.......you still have the salary cap space to sign a free agent

draft picks are riskier than free agents

conclusion: don't worry so much about all the draft picks it takes to move up to #2

working pretty well for philly and the rams

9 minutes ago, papazoid said:

draft picks = salary cap space

if you trade away a draft pick.......you still have the salary cap space to sign a free agent

draft picks are riskier than free agents

conclusion: don't worry so much about all the draft picks it takes to move up to #2

working pretty well for philly and the rams

Both Philly and especially the Rams had much more talent already on hand before those big trades for Wentz and Goff.  Neither of those QBs would have had that level of success without support 

17 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I'm with it until the ellipsis!

I've gone from not wanting to trade up to being willing to give up the farm. Not sure why.

I'm guessing it's the realization none of those future draft picks means anything if we don't have a great QB, anyway. 

13 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Both Philly and especially the Rams had much more talent already on hand before those big trades for Wentz and Goff.  Neither of those QBs would have had that level of success without support 

You make a good point that it's not just about the qb but also the overall roster. So there is an intermediate solution to this issue: trade up but only as far as it takes to get one of the top tier qbs. Instead of trading with the Giants for the two spot it would make more sense to deal with the Colts at the six spot. The assumption is that there will still be on the board one of the top tier qb prospects. If all of them are taken then keep your picks and use them to bolster the roster. 

In every draft there are unexpected twists and turns. I wouldn't be surprised if a number of the top drafting teams decide to pick for other positions resulting in some qbs falling down the board. My point is that this isn't an all or nothing gung ho strategy for a qb. I'm confident that this regime that has demonstrated good judgment will make their calculations and come out with a smart decision. 

48 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

so that means we won’t be making a big offer for the #2 pick.

but i just wagered more than i could afford that it will happen if Rex said so.....  :(